The Aufgeladen Ghia

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
xzener

The Aufgeladen Ghia

Post by xzener »

Hello everyone. I present to you... "The Aufgeladen Ghia". I bought this 1968 Karmann Ghia a few years ago, and have fully restored it. You can find my build thread on TheSamba. Since finishing it, I have since been tinkering with an AMR500 supercharger. My first attempt installing it on my original 1500 SP motor didn't go well. Had an exhaust leak which led to pulled head bolts. Repaired it, reinstalled and got her running. She is VERY fun to drive, but was having trouble fine tuning the Weber DCOE 40 carburetor. After trying to jet it, I got frustrated and decided I'd rather have an ECU do it for me. I am in the midst of converting/modifying the car for EFI. I purchased Joeblow's EFI kit and am tinkering with it as I gather all the needed parts and sensors. I would continue my thread at TheSamba, but have had little help asking questions and was pointed to this site. I hope to have her back on the road by spring. I have everything I need to finish the install, just need the time. So, after work and weekends without honey-do's is all the time I have. Oh, by the way... The EFI conversion on the 1500 is just a proof-of-concept. The kit will soon be installed on my new 1776 motor currently being built by Roy Henning at Mofoco. I'm sure to have MANY questions. Keep in mind I am new to all of this, and simply know the basics. Here is a couple pictures of my Ghia.
headlight.jpg
IMG_20181215_143419.jpg
Before (original 1500cc engine w/ supercharger)...
Engine_resized.jpg
After (new fuel injected 1776cc, JB200 cam, 8.5:1 CR, Mofoco Rasser heads w/ dual springs, 1.25:1 rockers, supercharged, water/air intercooler)...
PXL_20220704_211503102.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by xzener on Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Boost is contagious.
woodsbuggy1

Re: The Aufgeladen Ghia

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Welcome!! That is a beautiful Ghia. Where are you located? Might be close to another boosted VW.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

Welcome to the dark side.

Also that is a stunning ghia!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Welcome! Shoot your questions!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A515F met Tapatalk

Better to be blown than to suck!
DRED

Post by DRED »

Welcome! very nice car..
xzener

Post by xzener »

Thanks everyone! I like how this forum functions, much easier to post pictures than other sites. Ok, here come the questions. I just finished up installing the crank trigger to my pulley. How close to the teeth does the hall sensor need to be? If its not perfect, where do I go in TS to fine adjust the timing to match the engine to the ECU?
woodsbuggy1 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:16 pm Welcome!! That is a beautiful Ghia. Where are you located? Might be close to another boosted VW.
Kenric
I live in Lemoore, CA. About 45min south of Fresno. I know of a couple VW groups, Deutschlanders VW Club is out of Fresno. Hopefully after going EFI, I will have a reliable driving Ghia to drive up there and hang out.
Boost is contagious.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

xzener wrote:Thanks everyone! I like how this forum functions, much easier to post pictures than other sites. Ok, here come the questions. I just finished up installing the crank trigger to my pulley. How close to the teeth does the hall sensor need to be? If its not perfect, where do I go in TS to fine adjust the timing to match the engine to the ECU?
woodsbuggy1 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:16 pm Welcome!! That is a beautiful Ghia. Where are you located? Might be close to another boosted VW.
Kenric
I live in Lemoore, CA. About 45min south of Fresno. I know of a couple VW groups, Deutschlanders VW Club is out of Fresno. Hopefully after going EFI, I will have a reliable driving Ghia to drive up there and hang out.

What crank trigger setup?

Gap is around .030”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRED

Post by DRED »

i bought the "speedshop trigger crank", instruction are to set it at 0,015" crank push towards the flywheel, because it's an axial mount, so given for 0,015 to 0.02 as i understand...
xzener

Post by xzener »

Its Joeblow's crank trigger with a hall sensor. He recommends 1mm... So yeah, thats about .03. I'm probably gonna have to rework the mounting bolt, as his setup is hidden behind the pulley. Just worried, as this is the original engine, of crank shaft movement. There is play, but did not measure it when I had the motor out last.
Boost is contagious.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

xzener wrote:Its Joeblow's crank trigger with a hall sensor. He recommends 1mm... So yeah, thats about .03. I'm probably gonna have to rework the mounting bolt, as his setup is hidden behind the pulley. Just worried, as this is the original engine, of crank shaft movement. There is play, but did not measure it when I had the motor out last.
You can adjust in or out to find a sweet spot. You can also add a 10k resistor if needed.

I put a hidden trigger wheel from The Dub Shop on my mystery 1600 and have not had issues after fine tuning distance and adding 2 resistors.

What ECU does that kit use? A cursory glance looks like a mega squirt system

buguy

Post by buguy »

You could probably still check end play with the engine in the car.
xzener

Post by xzener »

Schweg wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:11 pm
You can adjust in or out to find a sweet spot. You can also add a 10k resistor if needed.

I put a hidden trigger wheel from The Dub Shop on my mystery 1600 and have not had issues after fine tuning distance and adding 2 resistors.

What ECU does that kit use? A cursory glance looks like a mega squirt system

What does the resistor do for the crank trigger circuit?
Boost is contagious.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

This is my not smart answer / understanding. The resistor provides clarity in not bombarding the sensor with to much information. For example if your crank is good distance wise 3/4 of the rotation and close the remaining 1/4 then when it is close the resistance is less allowing the sensor to not “see” the ring it looks like one big tooth or one missing tooth.

I’m sure someone smarter can chime in.
xzener

Post by xzener »

Thanks for the explanation. Got the crank trigger done, installed on motor. Have not tested it... Have to register Tuner Studio ($60) in order to do so. Just purchased the inner engine compartment fuel lines and fittings. Purchased and installed the injectors. The ITB came with the barbed fuel rail, may be using that temporarily. I plan on purchasing a fuel rail with AN6 fittings. Currently having a coil pack mounting bracket welded together, will be installing it on the distributor plug for a custom (some-what-stock) look. Would have liked to install it on the back of the fan housing to hide wiring, but not enough room in a Ghia. For the final installation (1776 motor), I will re-visit that idea. Seen it done on others motors, but I think its a different style coil pack.

Here is a picture of the crank trigger (before I countersunk the screws flush)...
PXL_20201209_133810523.jpg
Here is a picture of the ITB with the injectors installed (before a new return spring was installed)...
PXL_20201209_011300511.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boost is contagious.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Nice!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A515F met Tapatalk

Better to be blown than to suck!