New guy, new build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
chriswillrise

Re: New guy, new build

Post by chriswillrise »

well i got it to start. anyone want to look at the log and see if anything looks funky. seemed way too rich and wouldnt idle without manipulating the throttle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You will want to put the oil pressure sensor tree on some flexline and secure it to the fan housing or such.
Its weight will eventually beat out the threads on the case and only leak a bit, forever if you are lucky.
Eventually it will require machine work to fix.

The default generated tune and the warm up settings are for a sbc. way too rich and warm up is way too slow for an acvw.
You will be probably have the heads warm enough at 70f oat to have wue done in under 60 seconds, maybe less with working thermostat.
Retarded timing helps build cht fast. The factory did this. Cold timing table is very effective, as is idle timing for idle speed control.
Your warmed up idle timing should be quite a bit more to keep idle cht down.

Note that wue can remain active to max temp, I add fuel at high cht.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Piledriver wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:51 am You will want to put the oil pressure sensor tree on some flexline and secure it to the fan housing or such.
Its weight will eventually beat out the threads on the case and only leak a bit, forever if you are lucky.
Eventually it will require machine work to fix.

The default generated tune and the warm up settings are for a sbc. way too rich and warm up is way too slow for an acvw.
You will be probably have the heads warm enough at 70f oat to have wue done in under 60 seconds, maybe less with working thermostat.
Retarded timing helps build cht fast. The factory did this. Cold timing table is very effective, as is idle timing for idle speed control.
Your warmed up idle timing should be quite a bit more to keep idle cht down.

Note that wue can remain active to max temp, I add fuel at high cht.
could you send a tune from a acvw that I could just look at? I want to see what the warm up enrich should look like and maybe give it a shot.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Schweg wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pm I can send you my tune but your going to have to set up your specific items like wasted spark or sequential. Your injector and engine size and remap.

Setting up TS and tables isn’t awful. You just need to get it to idle then autotune will help help with the rest.
send me your tune, id love to just look at it!
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

ok got it to actually idle and start up without me touching the throttle. Log attached! for some reason it kept losing connection with the ecu i think thats what the red lines are in the logs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

Looking at your log nothing looks to crazy except that your really rich like 11.4 for most of that run. You have warm up correction on and its adding fuel to your target air with was set at 14.0.

Not sure why so many disconnects with the ECU to be honest I haven't had that issue but it just looks strange in the log but the car stayed running.

Sent you a message for email info so I can send you my tune.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Schweg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:45 pm Looking at your log nothing looks to crazy except that your really rich like 11.4 for most of that run. You have warm up correction on and its adding fuel to your target air with was set at 14.0.

Not sure why so many disconnects with the ECU to be honest I haven't had that issue but it just looks strange in the log but the car stayed running.

Sent you a message for email info so I can send you my tune.
Yeah I want to like figure out the enrichment but everyone has told me not to touch that until the normal tune is all good. Than after that I can touch the warp up stuff. And idk why it kept just randomly disconnecting from my computer
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

I’m just letting you know what I saw in the log. Nothing crazy.

If it idles fine I wouldn’t autotune it just lock those cells then autotune the remainder of the map.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A lot of folks turn off enrichment and accels until the ve table is solid.
The accels and wue are based on the ve table so errors can be amplified.
You don't have to do it, but I do it, simply to fight one battle at a time.

Attached my project backup, delete the zip extension, its already compressed, but stf doesnt like the original extension.
My setup is ms3/ms3x full sequential, 450 cc injectors, ls2 truck coils on a 1.8l t4 with 914 heads, slightly extended emw hx replacement tubes and a Bursch 914 header. Vanagon t4 fan shroud.

You might find the dashboard useful.
ms3-pre1.5b2_2021-05-08_20.00.27.tsproj.zip
Last edited by Piledriver on Sun May 09, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

has anyone had the issue of TS disconnecting from the ECU randomly. i just started it up for about 10 minutes and it disconnects like every minute for 5-10 seconds
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

chriswillrise wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm has anyone had the issue of TS disconnecting from the ECU randomly. i just started it up for about 10 minutes and it disconnects like every minute for 5-10 seconds
Sounds like a noise issue potentially. Have you turned on the noise filter?
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Chip Birks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:48 pm
chriswillrise wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm has anyone had the issue of TS disconnecting from the ECU randomly. i just started it up for about 10 minutes and it disconnects like every minute for 5-10 seconds
I have not, is that a setting in TS?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

chriswillrise wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 pm
Chip Birks wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:48 pm
I have not, is that a setting in TS?
Yes, probably under the ignition tab.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't have a disconnect issue, but many times mine won't connect. I sometimes have to go in and click "work offline" then go back and click that again to manually connect.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

resistor plugs, resistor wires, turn on noise filter.
short fat power and ground to the battery. Ferrites on power line and around signal cables.
Try to route sensor cables away from power/ignition cables.
(logic level coils really help here as that high power noise isn't in the ecu)
If you still have a generator look at upgrading.