Security Buggin! keeping a 74 baja alive doing timber patrol in Southwestern Oregon

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Dougstr

Re: Security Buggin! keeping a 74 baja alive doing timber patrol in Southwestern Oregon

Post by Dougstr »

Thank you Leatherneck, and thank you for your service! That's not the kind of name a guy uses unless you are one :D Former Squid myself.
Dougstr

Re: Security Buggin! keeping a 74 baja alive doing timber patrol in Southwestern Oregon

Post by Dougstr »

At this point, I still have more to talk about as far as getting her going and using her the first couple of months, but before the thread gets stale, I want to outline some of my thinking for helping her to stay the course and also be able to do the mission. This will give you all an opportunity to weigh in with suggestions or comments (please!).

She needs to be reinforced wherever possible without harming the integrity of the car. I need as much storage space as possible. I carry a chainsaw, a come-along, a Pulaski, and a shovel. A type one tool kit. A Dremel and a drill. A couple of steel signposts about 4 feet long and a post pounder. A milk crate that holds items specific to road/gate maintenance ie, WD 40, Bee bopper, vinyl lettering for signs, and two dozen locks. During Fire season I have to carry a 5lb. fire extinguisher and five gallons of water (the yellow bag in the trunk). I also carry some inch and a quarter rope, a jack, and tire tools. Oh! and a full-sized spare tire.
IMG_20200629_140116.jpg
IMG_20200629_140132.jpg
A spotting scope, binoculars, and a fishing pole (I am retired after all)
IMG_20200629_140216.jpg
I need good heat. Sometimes I find myself in pretty chilly areas. I have new heater boxes (a story on that later) but am looking at other ideas. I tend to operate at low speeds so suspension although nice is less important than getting home every night. More critical than taking hard hits (I will try to avoid those) is stabilizing long term vibration. I average about a hundred miles a day so I have to haul extra fuel. I will often be out in inclement weather and it is quite likely I may find my way blocked by a blown down tree too big for my saw.

I’ve got two radios. One has the company frequencies but also has ham capability so hopefully if I have an issue where it's a long walk to cell service I can make contact that way. A Garmin in-reach device (GPS) is provided by the company, a dashcam, and a mount for my phone.
IMG_20200629_140210.jpg
I carry a go-bag with a complete change of clothes, thermal gear, and a set of rain gear. A bag of dehydrated food, a jet boil kit, and a G.I. three-piece fart sack. I also have a chest pack with assorted survival gear.
IMG_20200629_140233.jpg

And of course, I can’t scrimp on space for Miss Lucy.
IMG_20200513_131737.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ninelives17

Post by ninelives17 »

Hibbards book on baja bugs and buggies has a lot of good info on where to re-enforce what.
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

Yep, I've got that one too!

One of the things I have been going back and forth on is a roll bar. I don't want one because it takes up space. I also don't want my spare up on the roof rack. If I had a roll bar I could reinforce my bumpers and hang the spare tire off the back. I have been thinking for years that the right kind of roof rack could be somewhat of an external roll bar. Being useful and increasing space and strength on the outside but you would still need some internal tubing. The roof rack that I have now is basically a painters rack with a basket bolted to it
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.40.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 12.39.32 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

The next thing I had to deal with was seats. The stock seats were in need of repair and I explored the option of reupholstering the ones that were in there. They were high back and I wanted a lower back so I could reach around inside the car better. I found a pretty good deal at Speedway Motors and decided to buy a brand new set.
Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 12.37.51 PM.png
When I got them I had to build some bases for them. I called my local metal distributor to see if they could bend a couple of pieces of steel the way I wanted them to. They said no :? . They said they would just kink it. I looked at what I had and decided I could use a couple of pieces of tubing and angle iron and build something that looked like this.
IMG_20200629_170735.jpg
IMG_20200629_170749.jpg
IMG_20200629_170756.jpg
IMG_20200629_170928.jpg
IMG_20200629_171318.jpg
I'm pretty happy with the result.
IMG_20200629_171512.jpg
It still gives me lots of space under the seat for storage and with the quick release pins I can pull the seats pretty quickly.
IMG_20200629_171323.jpg
IMG_20200629_171434.jpg
This is important because Lucy brings in a lot of dust and hair and it's nice to be able to pull the seat out to vacuum things up.

Here are the specs for the seats if anybody is interested
I cut off part of the text in the image so here it is

If you are like us, it's hard to find bucket seats small enough to fit in your car. These bucket seats are 24" tall, 20-1/2" wide and 20" deep overall and the back adjusts to your preference. The seat back will also fold forward for easy access to the rear of the vehicle. Each seat includes a pair of sliders, but universal mount 9108115 is sold separately.
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 1.06.41 PM.png
Last edited by Dougstr on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I’m going to have to pay better attention. For a Squid you do move fast. Some suggestions, figure out a way to carry more fuel without it sitting over your head or rolling around in back. The thought of a roll over and fuel coating everything miles from any emergency services rubs me the wrong way. Also that bolt on roof rack, don’t do it, it will jar loose and you’ll spread stuff for miles. Think of a modest cage that you can tie the front end, rear end and roof rack, it doesn’t have to be race ready (in my opinion) unless your going to do some racing o serious high speed runs. You can get into trouble building for all possible situations, make it fit your needs not trying to keep up with the Jones.
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

All good advice sir. I have gone back and forth about the fuel. I have to have it, but there is no great place to haul it. I have two five-gallon cans that I was thinking of doing this with.
Picture-6small2.jpg
But I'm not sure that would be any better. I don't take the same route every day and sometimes they go in completely different directions so staging fuel is not going to work.

The modest cage is the right answer. Has anybody ran the upright tubes through the roof and tied directly into the roof rack? That was one thing I was considering but it probably wouldn't gain much strength.

The rack I have I keep a pretty close eye on because I definitely worry about spreading stuff for miles :D
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

This mornings road less traveled.
IMG_20200703_053850.jpg
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

And some of the critters just off that road.
A nice black tail buck.
IMG_20200703_064827.jpg
And two ridges over a nice little heard of Elk
IMG_20200703_070047.jpg
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

So, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this,

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Aircooled- ... -block.htm

Any thoughts before I do?
ninelives17

Post by ninelives17 »

Sounds awesome! No advice from me though, 1600dp is the largest i've ever run. Soon though......
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Seems the best way is to tie the cage into the roof rack, as far as the engine goes, no clue. What size and carb? Remember KISS,it is easy to get caught up in the rat race of off roading. Looks like you have a cool gig for yourself. 😎
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Leatherneck wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm Remember KISS,it is easy to get caught up in the rat race of off roading. Looks like you have a cool gig for yourself. 😎
Spoken by the guy who is going from turbo VW to water cooled V6 Honda. :D

I love my Type 4 VW, but it does not follow Leather's KISS principle. Everything about them is more expensive than the Type 1. Something around the 1900 cc range would give you good power, reliability, and the cylinder walls are thick enough for good cooling.
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

Leatherneck wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm Seems the best way is to tie the cage into the roof rack, as far as the engine goes, no clue. What size and carb? Remember KISS,it is easy to get caught up in the rat race of off roading. Looks like you have a cool gig for yourself. 😎
1968 cc was recommended by John at aircooled.net. I haven't talked with him about the carb yet. I kinda want to stay with the pict as I understand them a little bit. The 1968 will put out 90 hp. I would like to be able to tow a small trailer occasionally so the extra hp would be handy. For just doing the job the current engine is fine but she is going through a lot of oil.

I've been trying to resist doing what I don't need to, it is hard though :lol: :lol:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If the cage was close enough to the top of the bug I might agree with Leather but, unless it is a custom cage there is going to be a gap most likely which leads to water in the bug leading to rust.

For all the things and passengers you are looking to carry I would think a bus would/could be a good idea.

On a bug I also suggest a body lift but not the commercial ones. Kind of too light weight even when tied to the body for some situations (also gives you some additional head room.

The bad thing about all this is that once you get started... "getting started" never seems to stop getting started.

Lee
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.