OT: Air tools advice
- welsh619
- Posts: 140
- Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:27 pm
OT: Air tools advice
Hey Guys! Hope everybody had a great Christmas and wishing everyone a Happy and injury free New Years! I got that gift that you always ask for just for fun but never really expect to get, a 60 gallon air compressor. I think its pretty decent from the reviews that ive read but now i dont know what i should do for tools. Ive tried to do some research but ill i find is stuff like dotco ($$$$$), after that i knew exactly where to turn. By the way i know im commiting forum sin by not including pics but im at work for three days and the gargage is crap right now with all the holiday stuff. So what would you guys suggest for air tools (impact gun, wrench, cutoff, torque, adjustable, etc...). The compressor has a max of 135ish psi and does 10 scfm at 90psi. Also do i need a regulator and filter in line from the tank to tools? Thanks again.
-
Ol'fogasaurus
- Posts: 17881
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
(My opinion) A plus on the water filter/separator (as well as gauges and an air pressure regulator if you compressor did not come with them) especially in areas where there is a lot of humidity. As far as tools to get: the tools are dependent on what you are doing. Get a quick disconnect (“G” style seems to be the most common used at home) a minimum of 25 feet of hose with a matching male end to go into the compressor disconnect and the same style of disconnect at the other end of the hose. I personally do not like the coil style of hose as it always seems to be in the way and is always jiggling around. Hanging up on anything in the area, and it you are doing some close work like cutting off stuff (cut-off tool) it can cause trouble. I also have a 50’ hose as there are times I have needed it and times where I also have had to put the 50’ and 25’ hose together to reach something.
An impact gun of sufficient power is a good thing to start with; there are several different impact ratings available so choose wisely. I have a ½ drive and a 3/8 drive and have used both. Get several types of tire fillers including a long reach, double fill style and don’t forget to get some air blowing tools for cleaning up stuff. Get eye protection and air tool oil; a drop in the inlet at the start of the day’s use.
Air ratchets, a maybe, it is kind of like investing in a lot of sockets before you have two complete sets of hand wrenches in both SAE and Metric; you know, the stuff you use most.. An air ratchet or two are nice to have but get the stuff you will need the most first; air ratchets do not have the feel of hand tools and can get you in trouble if you rely on them too much.
I have been collecting air tools for a long time now and I get what I need when I need it. Sometimes the need may come at inopportune times (money is the key here followed by an urgent need late at night or in a blizzard but what the heck….). I have only purchased one or two air tools thinking I needed them at the time but was able to get around their use but… then there would be a need for it and I had it. The only real problems I have had with tools are the air shears. The blade pivot fasteners are kind of weak (kind of is an understatement) and it is easy to tackle some material that is too much for the shears and break a bolt or two. Get tools rated for what you are going to use them for. If you go to a fastener store and ask for one, they will know exactly what it is, why you need it and probably have several in stock.
Price… you can pay a lot for air tools and they can last as long as a cheap tool would. Take proper care of them; e.g., oil them before you start and even the cheap ones can last assuming you don’t use them as hammers or pry bars (I’m serious here… seen it done).
Later on you can get the remote locations piped in (be careful as to what you use as plastic pipe is not what it is cracked up (no pun intended) to be. Copper, not much better and be careful when making the “Tee’s” and mount them pointing up. Also install some water traps and drains.
Above all, be careful and wear the proper safety gear (including gloves) and don’t use them for more than they are designed for.
Lee
An impact gun of sufficient power is a good thing to start with; there are several different impact ratings available so choose wisely. I have a ½ drive and a 3/8 drive and have used both. Get several types of tire fillers including a long reach, double fill style and don’t forget to get some air blowing tools for cleaning up stuff. Get eye protection and air tool oil; a drop in the inlet at the start of the day’s use.
Air ratchets, a maybe, it is kind of like investing in a lot of sockets before you have two complete sets of hand wrenches in both SAE and Metric; you know, the stuff you use most.. An air ratchet or two are nice to have but get the stuff you will need the most first; air ratchets do not have the feel of hand tools and can get you in trouble if you rely on them too much.
I have been collecting air tools for a long time now and I get what I need when I need it. Sometimes the need may come at inopportune times (money is the key here followed by an urgent need late at night or in a blizzard but what the heck….). I have only purchased one or two air tools thinking I needed them at the time but was able to get around their use but… then there would be a need for it and I had it. The only real problems I have had with tools are the air shears. The blade pivot fasteners are kind of weak (kind of is an understatement) and it is easy to tackle some material that is too much for the shears and break a bolt or two. Get tools rated for what you are going to use them for. If you go to a fastener store and ask for one, they will know exactly what it is, why you need it and probably have several in stock.
Price… you can pay a lot for air tools and they can last as long as a cheap tool would. Take proper care of them; e.g., oil them before you start and even the cheap ones can last assuming you don’t use them as hammers or pry bars (I’m serious here… seen it done).
Later on you can get the remote locations piped in (be careful as to what you use as plastic pipe is not what it is cracked up (no pun intended) to be. Copper, not much better and be careful when making the “Tee’s” and mount them pointing up. Also install some water traps and drains.
Above all, be careful and wear the proper safety gear (including gloves) and don’t use them for more than they are designed for.
Lee
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Big Dave
- Posts: 3208
- Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
Besides tire inflators and a blow gun, get a 1/2" drive impact. Get a good one (think $120 or more) thats rated over 500 ft lbs of torque. A good impact will make short work of rear axle nuts, transaxle mount bolts, gland nut, and fan nut.
I have a 3/8" ratchet, and for the volume of air it uses, its pretty slow. I don't use it much.
But the best air tool I have is the plasma cutter
I have a 3/8" ratchet, and for the volume of air it uses, its pretty slow. I don't use it much.
But the best air tool I have is the plasma cutter
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
- CentralWAbaja
- Posts: 4291
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
X's 2 on the plasmaBig Dave wrote:Besides tire inflators and a blow gun, get a 1/2" drive impact. Get a good one (think $120 or more) thats rated over 500 ft lbs of torque. A good impact will make short work of rear axle nuts, transaxle mount bolts, gland nut, and fan nut.
I have a 3/8" ratchet, and for the volume of air it uses, its pretty slow. I don't use it much.
But the best air tool I have is the plasma cutter
I use my electric 1/2" impact most of the time and my 1/4 cordless impact for everything else. I don't even own a 3/8 air ratchet...but should get one for when I cant fit the cordless in tight places.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
- Qurtys Lyn
- Posts: 1558
- Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:22 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
It also makes quick work of stuck lugnuts/lugbolts... but that never happens to me, I always use anti-seize... always...Big Dave wrote:Besides tire inflators and a blow gun, get a 1/2" drive impact. Get a good one (think $120 or more) thats rated over 500 ft lbs of torque. A good impact will make short work of rear axle nuts, transaxle mount bolts, gland nut, and fan nut.
I have a 3/8" ratchet, and for the volume of air it uses, its pretty slow. I don't use it much.
But the best air tool I have is the plasma cutter
Not a big fan of the Air Ratchet, my friend always uses his though. Can be handy sometimes.
I want a plasma cutter. One day.
- ntsqd
- Posts: 2291
- Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 am
Re: OT: Air tools advice
I'm recalling a somewhat recent thread on air system plumbing? If that wasn't here, then a search here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ should net you more opinions, options, and anecdotes than you can digest.
WARNING: I will not be responsible for time lost there! ( ....but if you're bored look up the thread on the modified HF bead roller, it's a work of art!)
X eleventeen on blow guns. Get those that allow you to vary the volume of air. Those that look like nearly every blow gun out there aren't them. The variable flow nozzles that I've used are more of a pistol grip sort of thing, with a full length lever.
Spend the money on a good impact. A friend in the auto repair trade swears by his Ingersol-Rand 1/2" drive. There are some very trick units out there, lighter and stronger than anything sold more than ~5 years ago.
A tool that I've used, but don't yet have one of my own is a 90* die grinder. As a die grinder I've no idea of it's usefulness. With the 3M Scroll-loc holder and various sanding & Scotch-brite discs it makes a very, very nice small right angle detail grinder.
WARNING: I will not be responsible for time lost there! ( ....but if you're bored look up the thread on the modified HF bead roller, it's a work of art!)
X eleventeen on blow guns. Get those that allow you to vary the volume of air. Those that look like nearly every blow gun out there aren't them. The variable flow nozzles that I've used are more of a pistol grip sort of thing, with a full length lever.
Spend the money on a good impact. A friend in the auto repair trade swears by his Ingersol-Rand 1/2" drive. There are some very trick units out there, lighter and stronger than anything sold more than ~5 years ago.
A tool that I've used, but don't yet have one of my own is a 90* die grinder. As a die grinder I've no idea of it's usefulness. With the 3M Scroll-loc holder and various sanding & Scotch-brite discs it makes a very, very nice small right angle detail grinder.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-tite
-
BAJA-IT
- Posts: 2046
- Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
You may also want to get an air hamer. Thay can come in handy at times.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
- Dale M.
- Posts: 1673
- Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 am
Re: OT: Air tools advice
1/2 inch drive impacts that claim to have 500ftlbs of torque are a joke on consumer....
Actually you will all probably laugh but I got a $99 set of Master Mechanics brand air tools that has 1/2 impact, 3/8 ratchet, and air hammer, and 1 die grinder and 1 cutoff tool.... And some sockets an some air tools (tire inflation and blow guns)....
1/2 drive is good for tire changes and don't use it for much else...
3/8 air ratchet is good for changing blades or riding lawnmower that I can not put on side or don't have hoist...
Use 3/8 impact for engine disassemble and not much else...
Picked up 3/8 air drill at yard sale, pretty much useless, spins up to fast ( If I cut air flow it can not spin drill bit)...
6 inch disk grinder is great for fab work (require gobs of air) but 4-1/2 electric grinder is handier...
Most of the air tools are based on use, think about what you are doing with air tool and usage dictates quality (read expense) ...
Have use MM set for over 8 years only problem was with air valve on 1/2 inch impact.. And on advice of their tech support replaced rubber donut gasket with a $0.13 faucet washer...
Yes you get what you pay for, but having $750 in tools you never use is some what of a waste...
And your air hose will always be 3 feet to short ( I have 125 feet of hose and its still to short) also the more hose you have on system the lower the volume that gets to your tool.... And be sure you air quick disconnects are top quality and the all work correctly and yes spend the bucks and have ALL your air tools equipped with them ....And yes there is about 6-7 different standards of air QD's and you will always pick the style different from your buddies ...
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PSear ... nWidth=750
I went with industrial, my buddy went with Tru-Flate , wouldn't you know it... But I also have a adapter hose from my connector style to his....
And yes I maintain 5 vehicles, ( one PU truck, one Honda Civic, one Jeep, 2 dune buggies, two trailers and 3-4 gas engined power tools for property maintenance)...
As for tire inflation and blow guns, simple are best. Most tire inflators with gauges are not accurate, prefer just a air chuck and hand held gauge...
And yes I am falling more in love with battery tools.........
Dale
Actually you will all probably laugh but I got a $99 set of Master Mechanics brand air tools that has 1/2 impact, 3/8 ratchet, and air hammer, and 1 die grinder and 1 cutoff tool.... And some sockets an some air tools (tire inflation and blow guns)....
1/2 drive is good for tire changes and don't use it for much else...
3/8 air ratchet is good for changing blades or riding lawnmower that I can not put on side or don't have hoist...
Use 3/8 impact for engine disassemble and not much else...
Picked up 3/8 air drill at yard sale, pretty much useless, spins up to fast ( If I cut air flow it can not spin drill bit)...
6 inch disk grinder is great for fab work (require gobs of air) but 4-1/2 electric grinder is handier...
Most of the air tools are based on use, think about what you are doing with air tool and usage dictates quality (read expense) ...
Have use MM set for over 8 years only problem was with air valve on 1/2 inch impact.. And on advice of their tech support replaced rubber donut gasket with a $0.13 faucet washer...
Yes you get what you pay for, but having $750 in tools you never use is some what of a waste...
And your air hose will always be 3 feet to short ( I have 125 feet of hose and its still to short) also the more hose you have on system the lower the volume that gets to your tool.... And be sure you air quick disconnects are top quality and the all work correctly and yes spend the bucks and have ALL your air tools equipped with them ....And yes there is about 6-7 different standards of air QD's and you will always pick the style different from your buddies ...
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PSear ... nWidth=750
I went with industrial, my buddy went with Tru-Flate , wouldn't you know it... But I also have a adapter hose from my connector style to his....
And yes I maintain 5 vehicles, ( one PU truck, one Honda Civic, one Jeep, 2 dune buggies, two trailers and 3-4 gas engined power tools for property maintenance)...
As for tire inflation and blow guns, simple are best. Most tire inflators with gauges are not accurate, prefer just a air chuck and hand held gauge...
And yes I am falling more in love with battery tools.........
Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
- ntsqd
- Posts: 2291
- Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 am
Re: OT: Air tools advice
I'd say that depends on the brand name and the air supply. Since it isn't really torque (it's impulse), the number labeling is misleading but if I-R or Snap-On or a similarly respectable name says the impact has 500 ft-lbs I'll accept it. If the impact came from HF or Northern and has their house brand on it, that's a different story.Dale M. wrote:snippage....
1/2 inch drive impacts that claim to have 500ftlbs of torque are a joke on consumer....
Air pressure and volume play a part in what the wrench can actually do. Neither of my Craftsman impacts is terribly impressive, but I'm barely able to feed them 100 psi at the compressor. I've a feeling that if I took them to a friend's shop, where the air pressure is 175 psi and the plumbing is all 1" pipe, that they might perform a LOT better. For awhile.....
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-tite
-
crazyman1
- Posts: 99
- Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:09 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
I have a 1/2in impact, 1/4in air ratchet and a air cut off tool all from harbor freight.
I have had these for about 10 yrs maby a little longer and have had NO probloms with them. Just keep them oiled and they will work just fine.
I have had these for about 10 yrs maby a little longer and have had NO probloms with them. Just keep them oiled and they will work just fine.
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: OT: Air tools advice
ransol or something like that makes a killer impact gun, used to use em at work, nothing beat them. i think one glandnut ona racing engine put up a fight for alittle while, butthey all give up in the end.
die grinder, blow off and an air chuck for tires. now add on as you need new toys. I still don't have an air hammer/chisle. itwould be nice, but clearly i dont neeeeed it. water seperater is a good idea, and big hefty lines from the tank make the impact have a bit more oomph.
die grinder, blow off and an air chuck for tires. now add on as you need new toys. I still don't have an air hammer/chisle. itwould be nice, but clearly i dont neeeeed it. water seperater is a good idea, and big hefty lines from the tank make the impact have a bit more oomph.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
-
vin
- Posts: 344
- Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:43 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
ive got about 6 straight and 90° die grinders, one for wire wheels, cut offs, grinding, weezers ,etc.
3- 1/2" impacts, 2 -3/8" impacts, a 3/4" impact, air ratchets, air hammers, most are ingersol rand, some mac, and snap on. its hard to beat the Ingersol guns, and can be had pretty cheap unless you opt for the lightweight composites. my 3/4" was about $600.
i like the lighter weight composite guns, but do break easier, especially the 3/4" it breaks every 6-8 months.
of course these are all at work, most guys dont need a 3/4 impact in their garage.
3- 1/2" impacts, 2 -3/8" impacts, a 3/4" impact, air ratchets, air hammers, most are ingersol rand, some mac, and snap on. its hard to beat the Ingersol guns, and can be had pretty cheap unless you opt for the lightweight composites. my 3/4" was about $600.
i like the lighter weight composite guns, but do break easier, especially the 3/4" it breaks every 6-8 months.
of course these are all at work, most guys dont need a 3/4 impact in their garage.
- perrib
- Posts: 1891
- Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
Ingersoll Rand. Northern Tools have them at a great price. The IR 231 outperforms many of the $400 Snap On impacts. I have lots of fun with new Snap On dealers. IR makes a reactionless 3/8" air rachet and a 2 speed 1/4" air rachet. Same for Ingersoll die grinders. Now for the cheap stuff that works. The $9 HF air chisel is an exact copy of the IR entry level air chisel. Same for the $12 air saber saw from HF the parts from it fits the $100 Snap On Blue Point air saw.
- welsh619
- Posts: 140
- Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:27 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
wow thanks! I would go on about how this is the best forum out there but then it would get all sappy... thanks for letting me stick around even though im buggyless and good luck with all the winter prodjects.
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
Re: OT: Air tools advice
Don't have to have a buggy to call STF home, just a willing to help somebody else out and maybe learn a little as you go along. Thanks for hanging out with us.welsh619 wrote:wow thanks! I would go on about how this is the best forum out there but then it would get all sappy... thanks for letting me stick around even though im buggyless and good luck with all the winter prodjects.