Max Welton

Re: Going under the knife

Post by Max Welton »

Good tip. Thanks

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Picked up the doors, fenders and front and rear lids from the paint guy today. The car isn't ready for them yet so I'm storing them in my barn.
20210524_154005.jpg
Unfortunately I dropped the hood trying to hang it from the rafters. :evil:

So the hood is back at the painters. I minted a few new words today.
20210524_141233.jpg
20210524_141227.jpg
Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

OUCH!
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I need some help with grommets. The little collection that came with the ISP harness doesn't have some that I need. I need something for the headlight passage through the inner fender and for the two holes in the left rear structure for the engine wires. Somebody help with sources or sizes?
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

ACE Hardware stores around me have a good selection of grommets.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

ACE to the rescue! Between the stuff from ISP and the hardware store the main and front harnesses are now in place.
20210526_184808.jpg
I also got the fresh air boxes in. The little captured nuts up front put up a fight as they had rusted to the bolts and one bolt was spinning in the bracket. Had to cut that one off.
20210526_184730.jpg
In my spare time got the rear hatch seal glued in.
20210526_174504.jpg
Tomorrow I will install the control stuff for the fresh air boxes and the wiper assembly then see if I can get a start on the under-dash wiring.

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Good to hear you found what you needed.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Today I got a good run into the under-dash wiring.

Connecting up stuff according to the diagrams that came with the ISP harness and the on-line (color) version of the Bentley schematic on my tablet.

Discovered that the fuse panel from ISP wasn't a match for the original in the car or the schematic.
20210527_164302.jpg
20210527_183928.jpg
The original has some bridges not on the replacement. I will be cleaning up the original and using that.

So here's a question. Where under the dash does the 9-pin relay live? I don't have any pictures from before the car was disassembled.
20210527_170241.jpg
Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

And the answer is:
20210529_131709.jpg
20210529_131310.jpg
8)

Max
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Ugh, I hate those things! But it looks nice in there.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

(for what it is worth) Max, I have had bad luck with that "slide on" style of "pin connector" unless the wires are supported close to the connection itself. Gravity and the weight of the bundle can cause the wires to jiggle that can cause the connector to slide the connection apart as well as just the gravity of the wire or bundle if the wires come up to the connection. The slide on connectors have to be a tight fit also and can stretch over time.

Other than that it looks like a nice clean start.

Lee

Added info: many years ago the forestry service was cracking down on the noise on the dunes so the decibel level was being checked. If the type of toy you were running could not pass the noise level set for that class of rig you weren't allowed on the dunes until it did. I was running specialty muffler that had plates in it to change the noise and HP but wouldn't pass the test (I still think they took the test wrong) so I went into town and bought a new exhaust system with a turbo muffler and installed it.

When I went out to ride the testers were at the top of the dune entrance (to men and a woman) and this time I passed the test and was allowed to ride. I started up the closest steep dune when all of a sudden I had a huge bang and my buggy stopped running. I got out and looked at it and the muffler was toast... it had split at the seams. I looked back at the testers and they were just getting up off the sand.

What had happened was the slip-on connected wire to the coil had come off (installing the muffler system did not affect the wiring and I had double checked the wiring also) then the bouncing around on the dunes had bounced the wire to touch the coil causing a late spark. I went back into town to buy a new muffler with the good feeling the jerks had to clean up their drawers! :wink:

When I was (supposedly) learning to be a mechanic cars would get towed in and it often turned out the coil wires et al slipping off was the problem. One of the reasons I don't use that kind of connection if I can get away with it.

Lee
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

So tomorrow I take a shot at the headliner. I have a new headliner from ISP and the original bows and clips.

I just cleaned the bows up with sand-paper and gave them a shot of self-etching primer. They will be ready by tomorrow.

Of the six bows, 5 are the same length and one is longer. So this is a type-3 fastback specific question and my first headliner.

What should I have for breakfast?

Max
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I'm a fan of good old Raisin Bran
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Oatmeal with a touch of raw honey., bit of granola or grapenuts for texture.

so... have you trial fitted the longer bow? probably over or just ahead of rear seat.(if it fits at all)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Turns out the longer bow is the rearmost ... next to the rear window.
20210605_190553.jpg
The only part not done are the rear corners. There needs to be some sort of padding there so the material doesn't just take the shape of the metal.
20210605_172906.jpg
20210605_172914.jpg
Max