Doughnut jack adapter

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
luvatenor

Doughnut jack adapter

Post by luvatenor »

While looking at my 914, I thought of a jack adapter that would fit over the doughnuts on the bottom of the car- It would look like a coffee cup on a plate(flat plate would sit on the jack and the cup would fit over the doughnut- easier and safer to jack - just a fleeting thought- What do you think?
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Doughnut jack adapter

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

luvatenor wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:18 am While looking at my 914, I thought of a jack adapter that would fit over the doughnuts on the bottom of the car- It would look like a coffee cup on a plate(flat plate would sit on the jack and the cup would fit over the doughnut- easier and safer to jack - just a fleeting thought- What do you think?
What an interesting question!

I did a "Bing" search for floorjack heads and got a lot of images with some cup shaped heads but not with not a deep enough lip (I am not familiar with 914s so I am not completely sure of what you want unless it is something that comes in from the side) that you seem to be talking about. One of the other things to consider is the size of the head and how good or how much it makes connection as I have seen cars move and drop off the jack when going up.

The idea of a donut shaped head might be a problem as to how you connect it to the jack itself. I did seen exactly the opposite with the cup deep with a castelated piece in the center

One of my jacks (HF but in the images I posted there are other companies that sell them) has a removable fairly standard shaped head so I can install a optional wide bar head with adjustable height end plates that can be used on the torsion tube or pan or on the front of the pan itself or to rear the pan's head.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fl ... &FORM=IGRE

"Floor jack heads" search.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fl ... &FORM=IGRE

"Floor jacks" search.

Lee
luvatenor

Post by luvatenor »

Thanks Lee for all that info- much appreciated-Roni
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

As I said, this post got me interested and thinking so I took a couple of pictures of the two bigger floor jacks I have.
IMG_1391 copy.jpg
I bought this back sometime in the early to mid-'70s. I thought it was from JC Penny's but it is a Sears House brand not Craftsman. It is what is not called "a slow" pump floor jack; the cup is a good size and moderately deep allowing round or cupped stuff like the differential in a rear end housing to sit nicely in it when necessary. I have a third small floor jack with a small cup which barely allows the lower shock tower mount on my IRS suspended buggy to fit in it without sliding around/off.
IMG_1392 copy.jpg
This is the floor jack I bought in the last couple of years. It is a "fast pump" which I am not use to... yet. Sometimes it is good especially if I am in a hurry but when I am trying to be precise it can be a time taker as you have to pump then let out, pump then let out then repeat cycle with maybe moving the jack around until you get it to where you want :lol: .

The Black arrow points to the removable head which is deep enough to allow fair shape fitting like the other jack and would allow for a pad like a hockey puck to be placed there for furnish finish protection (rags also work... assuming...).

The replacement head (shown installed) will turn at angles and the end pieces (red arrow) can be adjusted up and down. I am not sure (I don't remember that is) if they can be screwed all the way out allowing for a pair of custom made lifts such as with 'U' shaped tops to fit around pipe or tubing.

Notice the 4 X 4 wood block which sometimes I have to use with the blue floor jack to get more height. I haven't needed to try it with the newer jack. Both have lift height capabilities very similar to each other.

I was amazed at all the similar "cups" in the URLs I posted plus all the other styles, similar or not.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.