Type 4 to V8 NA to V8 NOS to 800 HP 8s V8 Turbo conversion

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Type 4 to V8 NA to V8 NOS to 800 HP 8s V8 Turbo conversion

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

joosep, what kind of slicks and what was the tire pressure you were using? It looks like the rear of your car was doing a lot of "dancing around" going on or was the track that rough. I think I heard that there were radial slicks now available instead of bias-ply slicks.

Lee
joosep

Post by joosep »

They were regular ones not radials, we don´t have track for radials.
The car was brand new to me because we made massively changes. I tryed 3-4 times before the crash and aborted the run because lack of driveabilty. Before the last run we added some tyre pressure (from 0.7 as usually to 0.85) we took down the boost we could (without goigng into wastegates) we retarded the ignition, we added some more comp for shock and we lined up the axles and I was sure that now it has to run perfect. This car was tricki to drive always, it was a really sloppy start and I was not hunting a time but some data, we had some zipties on our shocks and I was really hoping to see one 3rd gear pull to get some log from ecu because we had 100% new fuel system and ECU and car has no proper tune with new 2200cc injectors. We were not sleeping for 40hours for that time and just pushed over. sad.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

From the way it was dancing around then it looked like you let off then tried again then repeated it a couple more times before it hooked on you is why I asked the question. Bias ply's, especially with low pressure in them in the rear and radials in front could cause the handling I saw or so could some things in the frame design or re-design that didn't work well with the rest of things is another potential problem. I'm glad you are reasonably OK and that is the important part of the build.

Lee
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

What a loss. Sad to see this one go out this way. So glad you were able to walk way from that one. Not everyone is so lucky. Well done on building a cockpit that kept you safe. Cars can be replaced, people can not. Glad you are okay.
panel

Post by panel »

joosep.......still Megasquirt though ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
joosep

Post by joosep »

panel wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:27 pm joosep.......still Megasquirt though ?
Actually I was going with my own version of Megasquirt 3X with larger MAP, knock, normal connectors etc. I wish I had a single melted piston with that V8 :D seemed to be impossible with ethanol because we had some fuel runouts on track and on dyno, we had lack of fuel because 100% injectors duty when boost went out of control but not even a single gasket failure. Ethanol is extreamly good fuel. We cracked on 1 piston and it failed next day when it "exploded" when boost went accidently over 3 bar but thats the only time when we broke the pistons in that engine.

My team would like to help me to build a new car but only when its beetle :D I'm thinking about same car but with 4cylinder engine because 1000hp is quite common on small engines on nowdays. We are thinking about Saab 2.3 engine because its cheap and strong engine. Straight 4 would take off 60kg from back (really needed for better handling) and would help to build 40cm tighter frame and axle and it would help go straight. I would add anti roll bars and it would be easier to drive. It had to happen one day with that v8, it was insane how hard driving it needed. Now we just need to get some good idea to get some money and we will start :)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Interesting ideas for a fresh start.

In-line engines usually have more torque than a V-engine but then the weight of the rear of the car is/can be farther to the rear due to the engine's length from the trans with then comes the potential of more "ass wiggling" :roll: :oops: (couldn't think of a better term :oops: ). Then comes the idea of a more mid-engine idea which causes other things but the car is (should be/usually) more balanced front to rear.

What are the race track limitations to a tunnel body type of unibody if mid-engine was gone for or is there any other than adding strength due to the tunnel being modified. I think there are enough newer car designs to go rear or mid-engine or even other things and then.. there are electronic powerplants now.

Just remember to keep cause and effect in mind.

Lee

"Whoever hates speeding tickets, raise your right foot" Author unknown.
GaunchLauncherII

Post by GaunchLauncherII »

A 4 cylinder is much better , you can dial in boost by gear, time, or speed. then get your hp and torque you want for traction by each gear to match the track. I went Honda engine and transmission in a mid engine configuration. The Honda K I used is a monster when under boost and the aftermarket support is amazing for the engine and transmission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qn03Ix ... evinKaiser
Mid Engine K20
joosep

Post by joosep »

I started a new thread of my new build here: viewtopic.php?t=152736
🤗