Type ! rear to solid axel

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
BriGuy

Type ! rear to solid axel

Post by BriGuy »

I was curious if anyone has ever converted an IRS rear end to, lets say, a ford 9 inch rear solid axel. I imagine the trailing arms can be modified and welded to the axel, but has anyone done or ever seen a set up like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Type ! rear to solid axel

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you want... most anything can be done but with the solid rear axle replacing a swing or IRS setup then some connections might require using spherical rod ends or something like that for various connections.

Lee
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

I have seen it. My in-laws neighbor knew I was a VW guy and thought I'd interested when he was moving and didn't want to take the car with him. Unfortunately, I know very little about drag bugs. I did notice it was intended for a front mounted engine(I guess that's obvious with the Ford 9 inch), and had 4 link rear suspension. He was really trying hard to get me to buy it and I didn't want to encourage him so I didn't stick around to look it over well. It did have wide slicks that sat inside the fenders but I don't know what he cut away to make those fit.

Sorry if this is less than helpful.
H2OSB
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

One of the car guys I used to run around with did do a SB Chev in a bug. I saw it sitting out once but it was too dangerous (flimsy pan) to drive I was told.

You can do a lot of things to a lot of things but you also have to build for it.

Lee
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Build the chassis of your desire and sit the Bug Body on it. otherwise it's pretty much futile.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

SCOTTRODS wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:20 pm Build the chassis of your desire and sit the Bug Body on it. otherwise it's pretty much futile.
BOING! :shock: :wink: What I was trying to say!

Lee
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

LOL... You're a trip sometimes, Lee. I got it... figured it needed simplifying to it's lowest level... Not necessarily for this guy, but for anyone reading in the future... if Forums survive the social media <cringe> transition... I like the forums much better than Facebook for sharing and chatting about our hobbies. I can shift gears and go to Bugs on here, I can shift again and go to Powder coating on another forum I could frequent, then even shift gears over to a Classic hot rodders bunch... but whatever forum I am shifted into, that would be all I was dealing with at that moment. Most Social media goes every which direction all at once, which would have been fine for me when I was young, but nowadays its just way too distracting, so I keep coming back to the Bug and VW forums. I still learn more here... but see some really good ads for old VW vehicles at times...
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Well said.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There used to be another forum called "dunebuggy dot com" (if I remember correctly) that was more like the "chatting" forums but Leather snagged me off it just as the creator of it decided to let it go. I've looked at a couple of other forums but this one seems to be more gentleman and women-ly than others as well as having a lot of knowledge to share.

Lee