Stalled out???

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
MILLERS2002

Re: Stalled out???

Post by MILLERS2002 »

:?:
Last edited by MILLERS2002 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

So does the hose from the oil bath cleaner supposed to just go through pan and hang below the car not hooked to anything?
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Yes... but there is a drip attachment that goes on it, most are missing and I'd venture a guess most VW owners have never heard of it of seen one. We have a similar drain tube "valve" on the trains I work on, attached to the drains of the Condensors on the HVAC's... they keep bugs out and allow the condensate to drain while in motion (From vibration as much as anything). We call ours a "Kazoo" because that's kind of what they look like... They don't have the little round bit on the side, but they look a little like a childs toy Flat pinched together on the outlet end, and open round on the other end to allow for the drain tube (part you have) to go into. I think Aircooled.Net used to have them, but I haven't shopped for them in 18 years or more. They last pretty well if you don't lose them or damage them. This item also helps keep the "venturi effect" from sucking oil out of your engine in vapor form when the oil is good and hot.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

Well found the problem......after a lot of searching and guessing......the pre-heat tubes are Carboned up!! A bigger job then I wanted so it should be interesting!!
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

Cool, thanks Scott!!
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Good job!

Max
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

So with that being said, can I get to them and clean them out by just taking the muffler off??

Don't know if I trust myself to taking carb, generator, and all that other stuff off to get it out??
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Hang on. How do you know this is the problem if you haven't taken the pre-heat tubes off and cleared them?

Max
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

When engine is running for a awhile they are cool to the touch.....supposed to be hot, no???
Basically reason by deduction, when car gets hot it stalls and acts like its flooded. Have gone through all fuel possibilities(that I know of anyway) and all seem good.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Well, clearing the manifold heat tube requires taking off the manifold. So off comes the carb and generator, then the manifold. I haven't done this in some time but did not drop the engine to do it. Although you certainly could.

Several ways to skin this particular cat.

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

BTW, I'm assuming you have a stock muffler. Many aftermarket mufflers aren't set up to provide the side-to-side flow of hot air through the manifold pre-heat.

Max
MILLERS2002

Post by MILLERS2002 »

Yes it is the original. And dropping the engine is totally out of the question!!😳😅
Think I will try taking muffler off first and see where that gets me.
For.some reason taking the generator off scares.me!??
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Taking the muffler off gets you nowhere.

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I haven't done this in a while but this is my recollection of the procedure I used.

While the generator is still lashed down, remove the belt and pulley. The shaft has flats that you can get a wrench onto. Now get a socket on the fan-nut in front of the pulley. I think it's a 32mm. Using the two, you can loosen and remove the fan nut. Don't drop the washer or nut. Now when you remove the generator, the fan will stay in the shroud.

The generator is attached to the round fan plate which is connected to the shroud with four little bolts/screws. Remove those four little bolts/screws. The uppers ones are easy but the lower ones are very close to the manifold. It can be done though. I think they are cheese-head screws from the factory but I replace the bottom ones with m6 bolts that I can reach with a 10mm wrench.

Remove the generator strap.

With the plate unhooked from the shroud and the fan unhooked from the generator shaft, the generator can be removed making room to get the manifold out.

Max
Last edited by Max Welton on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.