High Energy Ignition Systems Jacobs MSD Mallory

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
vw505

Re: High Energy Ignition Systems Jacobs MSD Mallory

Post by vw505 »

I looked for that wireing info for two days so i could hook up my tach.
mlaiola

Post by mlaiola »

Scott, I found this system online and it does NOT have the rev limiter or anti-theft functions. Is this still a good one to use on a H.P. street VW? It does have the twisted orange & purple wires. Thanks, Mike
Jacob ing 3a.gif
Jacob ing 2a.gif
Jabob ing 1a.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mlaiola

Post by mlaiola »

I missed one of other pictures for the unit.
Jacobs ing 4.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Novak

Post by Scott Novak »

mlaiola wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:18 pm Scott, I found this system online and it does NOT have the rev limiter or anti-theft functions. Is this still a good one to use on a H.P. street VW? It does have the twisted orange & purple wires. Thanks, Mike
Yes it is a great ignition system to use for stock, street or race conditions.

I'm 99.8% sure that this does in fact have both a rev limiter and anti-theft functions. You need to look at the terminal strip underneath the Pro Street.

That looks like it's NOS in the photos.

Also be sure that you are using a NON-resistor rotor, as this ignition system has enough energy to fry a resistor rotor.

Scott Novak
mlaiola

Post by mlaiola »

Thank you so much for the reply! The backside of the box does NOT have the rev limiter & anti theft checked off? I will have to check it out as you said. Thanks again, Mike
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Why use a system like this? You're still stuck with sloppy timing scatter instead of using crank-trigger.
Scott Novak

Post by Scott Novak »

Jadewombat wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:17 pm Why use a system like this? You're still stuck with sloppy timing scatter instead of using crank-trigger.
The Jacobs ignition system can also be used with a crank trigger. It doesn't care where it gets it's trigger signal from. And you won't find too many systems that will produce a better spark.

Scott Novak
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I have a lame RV/street relative of this Jacobs system, and it hit almost as hard as a GM truck cnp coil setup.*

If you want the old school look of a distributor, these systems kick about as good as it gets.

Sadly getting rid of the HV parts of a distributor is the biggest advantage of modern ignition systems.

*I retired it and the early vanagon distributor when I went full sequential ms2. I still use a distributor, it just only has a toothed whee/sensor in it.
There was no spark stability difference distrib vs. crank trigger as far as I could measure, a lot of averaging goes on in the ignition code with a reasonably high tooth count.

VWs dont have timing chain slop like many v8s... that amplified by oil pump load pulsations makes timing scatter a real issue on those.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Scott Novak

Post by Scott Novak »

Piledriver wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:25 amSadly getting rid of the HV parts of a distributor is the biggest advantage of modern ignition systems.
In my case the distributor is not an issue, as I modified a huge cap Mallory Comp 9000 Vacuum Advance distributor to fit my Beetle. It can handle anything that a Jacobs ignition can throw at it, at least for 4 - Cylinder applications. It's also rated for 10,000 RPM applications.
img2660tv2.jpg

Here is a size comparison between a small Bosch distributor cap, a Mallory Comp 9000, and a Mallory small distributor cap.
c755629b0d88ce24b3e1430585f8869c.jpeg

Scott Novak
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Inspired by your setup, a few years ago I modded a std unilite vw distributor to that cap size using 460 ford cap/rotor and cap base.
Cut down the mallory cap as the adapter, and made a simple rotor adapter.
Worked great.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.