Hello im new proposed buggie build 1/4 miler

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
jes67

Post by jes67 »

Hello ,boy your buggie past tens looks so much like like mine from the front not a flat front fender but maybe a 6 in. rise ,with a lip to tire and a draw down to hood thanks much for your input,and the mid section {high} not a low slung step in type and the rear belt line behide driver is similar Thanks
fl_buggy

Post by fl_buggy »

volksnut wrote:that thing is sweet, love the rear tail lights....I started out running 13.99 with my buggy, well that didn't last long, as it came down weekly it seemed....I got it down to 12.30 @ 102 with a 1679 and junk turbo and a Zenith 2 barrel, it was a street car drove to the track and run with street tires etc.....the car was built on a 55 pan and launched straight and handled great over 100 mph....I had a 6 point cage and tied it into the frame horns...I heard once you hit the 11's it's a whole new ball game..I've sold the car so no further testing was done
Heres a picture at Lakeland, check out Ken Fisher (white shirt) checking it out!
What tranny setup were you using going 12.30? That's a hard leaving car to go 12.30 at 102. I have a glass buggy I'll be building up and am curious how much tranny you need in a light car like these.

BTW, I'm just north of Tampa and have been to Lakeland many times, but never saw your car :(
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

What is the best way (NHRA legal) to mount a full roll cage on a pan chassis?
I am thinking that only square steel plates on and under the floor are not enough for strength... am I right?
any advice/pics of pan chassis buggy wil be welcome !
fl_buggy

Post by fl_buggy »

NHRA says you need at least 6" x 6" steel plate at each connection between the cage and the pan.
volksnut

Post by volksnut »

I ran a 68 box with threaded super diff, 148 third and 104 forth gear...shifted at 6000....launched at 4000...I raced with M/T I tread street tires no burn out
fl_buggy

Post by fl_buggy »

How well did it hold up? How many passes could you get before it was time for a rebuild? Thanks for the help!
jes67

Post by jes67 »

Hello, great info, you are passing on. Went to Fab. shop today,best thing is the owner brought me back to ground on my plans, rims first,I will run 22.5 , 4, 15,race front tire and a 6" rear slick, once tires and rims ,stance is to my liking then we will see were to go front and rear,I like input from the pros,and someone who listens,but isn't scared to tell you how ,it might work better if you do this, you won't break if you do this,I will post more pics when I can,but now I'm on a rim search,Thanks
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Erco's or centerlines for rims or your Brave/stupid go with spindle mounts

You don't need an aluminum beam and all the light weight stuff on the front you need the weight up there and put your battery there too while your at it.

I would plan for a 23 inch front vice 22.5 trust me I am set up for 22 and can't fit a 22.5 (they are not really that measurement they usualy are taller)

This limits me to one brand of front the M&H 22x3.5x15 :evil:

The reason I say this is you want as many choices in front tires you can get from the big supliers like Jegs and Summit look at there catalogs and see how many brands you have for choices at the respective tire size

The other thing is to figure out how much wheelie your going to have/want. The Manx bodies are not forgiving on screwing up and having the tires hit the fenders :shock: you can destroy the body if you hit hard enough with out clearance.
jes67

Post by jes67 »

Hello,want to run alm. rims [no spindals], I'm working out clearances now, Ive got a dumbie 67 trans,Thats all I have for mock up,but may run short axle , cause I already have axles,and torsion bars,I believe Lummis stuff,I dont know what spring rates they are, but out of anouther drag buggie, low amount of passes, so now I'm working on clearances,with no weight in car, with motor trans in, and finally with full weight { me } in Buggie, but with me in buggie, I need to get info on min. clearances,top of tire to body,you know what I'm after, I want to use my wheelie bar,rear spring,to control my launch,Not the underside of my body, Thats why all input is so valid,but I'm going to order tires first, any ideas on good sorces,tire sizes are set,rim,I hope for 4" / 15" fronts,Centerline,Cms or Douglas,Rears I've been steered towards 7" / 15" with hopefully 4" back space 3" face,Does that make sence ,tires MH or Pheonix 4"/ 22"/ 15" fronts, 6" / 26"/15" super stock,Thanks
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Thats why I asked you what kind of wheelie you want because that is going to give you your bounce. I have long wheelibars and only pull the tires up maby 4". I run 22 M&H tires and have about 2.5-3 inches of front body clearance. now if you want more wheelie you you need more clearance and or a stiffer front.

So you should decide what you want now. some people love to pull the front 30+ inches for a good show (and it is) and some want the bare minimum for weight transfer and speed. once you decide on that then you can work on clearance and stiffness.

On wheels I have seen pictures of the new BTR bead lock rears and fronts I have no Idea what they weigh but they might be worth looking into and bead lock rears if not to heavy would be nice for piece of mind.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=305065
jes67

Post by jes67 »

Hello, nice looking rims I know of a pair I believe,Locally,149 ea. just saw a post today for them , ad has 4" and 7" for sale, non bead lock,but maybe pickup the 4" if still avail., Then order rear 7" from ad. I started at 2" of fender clearance, with now I feel I will body drop ,so as to not fool with integrity,of pan,as to what faber suggested, I'm shooting for as little front lift as possible, wife will be going july 8,also so there will be 3 in my lowered 67 Thanks
Lo cash lester

Post by Lo cash lester »

fl_buggy wrote:How well did it hold up? How many passes could you get before it was time for a rebuild? Thanks for the help!
I built the trans that is in the Junk Yard Turbo and it has held up great. In fact the new owner is still on the original build. I'm not sure how many 1/4 mile runs are on it, I'll let Eric answer that. As long as your not looking to dip too far into the 11's a well built trans like what Eric had will hold up fine in a buggy. Go with slicks and wheels up starts and everything changes. Here is a video of my old buggy running at Lakeland.
http://www.locashracing.org/mt02.html
Lo cash lester

Re: Hello im new proposed buggie build 1/4 miler

Post by Lo cash lester »

jes67 wrote:Hello, new to the forum ,would a shortened pan buggie ,that i have narrowed rear torsion 3 in. each side and raised rearhorn 6 in. narrowed front beam 4 in. total, 14 in. shorter pan , hi compression 1914 duel carb. motor this is my entry level into 1/4 racing, does for what little info ive given does this sound like I'm on the right path, safety first, have a great local fab shop to help,Franklins in the Seattle area,but I want some feed back on my proposed build Thanks
Here is the build up of my old Manx drag car, pretty much start to finish. If there is anything I can help you with please drop me a line at:
[email protected]

http://www.locashracing.org/thecar.html
jes67

Post by jes67 »

Hello, Lowcash I have your site on my favorites list ,much thanks for your intrest , Like all projects you get out of it what you put into it,the fun the build,now I can get my son to post whatever pics I want ,and hopefully,their half as good or maybe 1/4 as good as your old toy,shots Thanks
jes67

Post by jes67 »

Hello, new pics, Thanks