My double door resto-mod project....

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
Chgrec

Re: My double door resto-mod project....

Post by Chgrec »

Thanks Chip....

After a break for a beach vacation, I got back to it Tuesday evening. I was able to get the second cargo door panel done and I started cleaning up my door hardware. I always try (and prefer) to use cleaned up original parts where ever possible. I think they are usually made much better than reproductions and it saves some cost.
Cargo door panels.jpg
While the mechanism are all salvageable, I did buy re-pop exterior door handles since mine were too far gone to reuse. They arrive over weekend so Monday will be a bling day! I will re-key them to all match along with the ignition.

I also got my templates made for the bulkhead panels. I didn't have any original ones to go by so it was photos and measurements that guided me.
bulkhead mockup 1.jpg
bulkhead mockup 2.jpg
I usually use treated water resistant brown panels from a local upholstery shop to make the cores but since the center section has a decently small radius curve, I ordered some thin sheet aluminum to use instead. I think I can curve it more cleanly but we will see.

Back at it next week!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life's too short to drive a boring car!
My current project: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=151094
My last project: https://www.mgexp.com/journal/The-B-And ... lory.3321/
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Spent more time on the bus this last week working on the new interior panels. Things seem to take longer when you have to do them twice! I made the panels a few inches too long by using the rubber kick panel as a guide instead of the door panels. Kind of a "cant see forest for the trees" thing I suppose.

I think the sheet aluminum worked out better than panel board though I do still need to add the chrome trim piece around the curved "drink tray" top and finish attaching the rubber kick panel. That and add a bunch more screws after I add the trim vinyl to the framing above the panels and below the hard top. I just don't have any real room to store the hard top right now when I take it off. Overall I am happy with the results so far.
bulkhead.jpg
I did hit one delay on the doors. Apparently the internal door latch mechanism are supposed to be one part on each side and not the 2 that I have per side. When I took them out they both came out as 2 pieces so I assumed that was factory.
door latch.jpg
No wonder I couldn't get them to go back in properly. Replacements are on their way so the doors can get buttoned up next week.

Always something...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Finally got the front door parts I needed after a lot of trouble from the vendor. Seems the reproduction door handles were made wrong and even after lots of back and forth emails including photos with a micrometer to show them how they were made wrong, I still had to eat the cost because I had re-keyed them already before trying them for fit. Add to that the one of two cargo handles they sent with non-working keys that I still don't have a replacement for yet (after 3 weeks!), it means I wont ever use them again. I get they don't make the parts but they do control how they behave when the manf sends bad parts...and they handled it badly, blaming my bus and not the parts.

Regardless, I was able to modify the parts and get the front door handles, rubber seals, vent wings, etc finished so I moved onto the flooring.
Driver window.jpg
I looked at the rubber floor mats and while they are nice, I wanted something a little less industrial. Wolfsburg West has coco mats for the fronts which are nice but nothing for the cargo area and I would like them to match, so I made my own.
cab carpet.jpg
I bought carpet grade woven burlap and some jute/rubber backing off ebay for less than $100 total.
Flooring Backing.jpg
I used spray glue (3M 90) to stick it all together. It's a nice natural color though the camera lighting makes it look different. The up close binding photo is closer to how the color really looks.
Cargo carpet.jpg
I made some binding edge out of the same material as the tonneau and picked up a binding tool from my walking foot sewing machine. I was pretty skeptical of this adapter but I am a believer now! I love this thing, it worked beautifully.
Binding.jpg
Now I am just waiting for my electrical stuff to arrive like the new harness, etc. The delay will give me time to finish out the interior panels on the cargo doors, trunk, etc....
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

This phase of the project is bittersweet. You get to put on all kinds of shiny new bits, and you get to see glimpses of the finished project, but it all comes a price…and that price can be lots. It is amazing how many little things like the license plate light lens can really add up. Clips for brake lines, shifter boots, windshields & a bazillion seals are all part of the wish list when you start basically with a shell. While I knew this time was coming and have budgeted for it, it doesn't make it any easier when the bill(s) come due!
psgr cargo doors.jpg
cargo area.jpg
Part of my goal is to improve things along the way when it did not affect the vintage look and feel too much; beyond chopping off the roof that is. One of the things I hopefully improved is the heat tube insulation. VW used that mesh fiberglass material of sorts to wrap the pipe for heat retention. I bought a welding blanket from the local “cheap tool” store and added some fiberglass batting with aluminum backing. With new edges stitched up, it all glued together and bound with nearly factory stainless traps all for about a third of the cost of an official Wolfsburg west reproduction, I hope that this will improve the design and keep my toes toasty during the cold months….which for me starts in Sept and goes until April….
Insulation2.jpg
Insulation3.jpg
Insulation installed.jpg
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

Looking good always fun to see your progress on this out of the box build
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Thanks! Still working away though I haven't had time to do much posting....I am working on the wiring harness & all electrical.
Battery bay.jpg
Its pretty much all installed except for the wipers & turn signals switch which will come after I put the steering column back in. I pulled it all apart and it looks great inside. I just need to get the bus nose up high enough to get it back in....
steering box.jpg
I also started into the engine (AH dual port) that came with the bus and found it was partially hung up. It rotated about 1/3 around and then stuck. After removing the heads I found one of the cylinders was full of crap and rust. I popped off the pistons and cylinders and it spins around fine. I did find that the bearings, crank & case are in great shape and uncut.
AHcase.jpg
All except for the thrust surface. It's worn by about .5 mm so the case will need a thrust cut. So for now & times sake, I will use a different short block (B case single port) that has already been rebuilt to stock specs. I have stock 85.5 Mahle P&Cs that will go on once I get my head deck measurement tool to check & set compression, etc....

My goal is to have the engine running before Christmas!
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

I also forgot to mention that all the lighting and glass (except for the rear window of the hard top) is installed now as well....
9531635B-E08F-481B-9A1C-DFD1E2EBE4EE.jpeg
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

We are hoping to move over the next few months so I need the bus to be drive-able so the cosmetic work is on hold. I have been spending most of my time lately working on the running gear and engine.

I cleaned and opened up the transaxle and it is all in really nice shape so it got re-installed. I then moved on to finish the engine and get it ready for installation. Rebuilding the engine was easy compared to wrapping it in all it's engine tin. It has so very many parts to route that air effectively it has taken me longer to do the tin than to rebuild the engine itself. Of course it didn't help that the engine didn't have any of the tin installed.
20191222_170250556_iOS.jpg
Really interesting learning about it all though I kept having to take things back off when I get the order of installation wrong! I did find some great you tube videos from awesome powder coating that really helped me understand how to put it all back on.
20200123_013212552_iOS.jpg
20200123_011532953_iOS.jpg
Lots of stuff to do ahead of installing it into the bus but hopefully I can get that done over the next couple of weeks...
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Almost there.....
20200130_015019111_iOS.jpg
I got all the rear end stuff (boots,brake lines, etc) installed so I wouldn't have to work around the engine later. I went ahead and lined up the engine for its installation at the end of my shop time last night so hopefully it gets bolted in this evening...It may be the first time an engine has been in this bus in over a decade! I know its been with me for 3 years....
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

The engine is in!
Engine in.jpg
Just waiting for a new battery to arrive to run through the new engine start process. (amazed at what you can get delivered these days)

I am also finishing up the brake system with the rear being rebuilt now and the new disc brake conversion the front going on next. I am using Porsche 944 rotors & calipers along with all new lines & dual circuit master cylinder as well....
redprowler

Post by redprowler »

Impressive progress you've done there.
Finally got a set of 8-ball chrome dub wheels. Excited to see how it'll look when installed.
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Thanks....I have still been plugging along on between trips to Fl looking for a new house!

I cut down the front drum backing plate to allow for the use of the disc brake adapter plate (Lanner's kit from vdub engineering, he has been very helpful)
Disc adapter.jpg
I also had to grind the front edge of the caliper to allow for clearance of the wide 5 adapter so i can use my original wheels. At some point, I may go to Fuchs or some sort of newer rim but only if I lower it a little....Now I just need to bleed the brakes which I hope to get that done Thursday after work.
Front discs.jpg
I also got a lot of the little stuff done like the engine apron, the muffler, etc, the steering column, etc put in as well.
Engine with apron.jpg
I am waiting for my new tie rods, steering damper & drag link to arrive on Monday. One they do and I get them in, I should be able to get the wheels back on and see if it moves under its own power early next week....
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

I know I have not posted in a while, so I thought I’d do a quick update. Not a lot going on bus-wise lately since we just moved to Amelia Island Florida at the end of March. I no longer have a full workshop now so the stuff I can do is a lot more limited. In exchange, I do get to see a beach sunrise every day only a quarter mile away so that’s a pretty good trade.
20200714_103657632_iOS.jpg
The bus now lives in a civilized garage after its trip south on a trailer behind a U-haul….
20200403_142238305_iOS.jpg
Once we got the boxes unpacked and life generally back in order, I was able to get back to it. Before I loaded it up in Atlanta, I found that the clutch would not disengage, and I assumed the pilot shaft bearing had stuck. After pulling the engine, I found that the transmission shaft had some gunk in the splines I hadn’t seen before and it was preventing the clutch disc from sliding away from the pressure plate. Once I scrubbed & cleaned that, the disc slides easily and it now works after I put the engine back in. I also got some used wheels & hubcaps and had my new all-terrain tires mounted up. I really like the look and it should be able to drive on the beach and without getting stuck.
20200715_231339161_iOS.jpg
With the clutch now unstuck, I was able to drive the bus under its own power officially for the first time since I have owned it and likely the first time in many years. It was just out into the driveway to turn it around but kinda cool regardless. To get it ready for everyday life, I used a modified jeep top storage system to lift and store the roof when not in use, which hopefully will be most of the time.
20200721_001232786_iOS.jpg
I still need to finish the electrical and then color sand the paint to get rid of the orange peel & runs. Then out for it’s first on the road adventure in who knows how long…
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Looks great! Thanks for the update!
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Thanks! Here are a couple shots with the roof off. I left the front "visor" & the side door windows to give it some visual interest vs just a long flat rectangle with wheels and a windshield.
20200723_003007264_iOS.jpg
20200723_002934360_iOS.jpg
I hope to finish the wipers & electrical next week then start on the color sanding...With so many big panels, that may take me a few weeks. I got a new denim buffing pad that is supposed to work really well so it may not take that long. I am looking forward to trying that out.