My double door resto-mod project....

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
Chgrec

Re: My double door resto-mod project....

Post by Chgrec »

It's been a while since I posted but the bus is basically done...It has even been out and about on a few test trips including a run downtown.

I still need to change out the shoulder belts for lap belts since the shoulder ones aren't that comfortable without an upper mounting point. They work but since its a beach cruiser never exceeding 40 mph, lap belts should suffice.

The steering is still a bit loose even after dialing in the steering box and replacing all the steering parts. The one thing I didn't replace was the king pins so maybe that's it. I just need to get the front end up in the air again to know for sure. Maybe later this week....I also had to roll the rear fenders because the tires are all terrain and wider to give a shot at maybe driving on the beach.

I hate to admit it but before I started this bus, I had never driven one. I owned a 64 bug many years ago but that's as close as I got. So I was concerned about actually liking to drive this or not. I am used to 2 seater sports cars and have many ranging from an E-type to 911 with a Boxster, BMW M roadster and another 20 or 30 cars along the way. We took it out for its inaugural test run outside the neighborhood to the gas station, and I was pleasantly surprised. This thing is too much fun! Its not in a hurry and it feels like you are driving...well, a bus but its a blast! I am amazed at how many people just light up at seeing it. From waves, to thumbs up, to cameras coming out, seems like everyone enjoys it. And nothing sounds quite as good as an air cooled VW!

The plan is to start using it as our almost daily weekend driver now that the weather is getting nice and maybe to do a few cars shows. The Amelia Island cars & coffee is coming up so I may even do that one. I just know its not a concours or even show car level quality but my wife says I am too critical about my own work. Either way, seems like a perfect place, at a perfect time of year for it to be ready for its debut!
20210323_224624107_iOS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life's too short to drive a boring car!
My current project: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=151094
My last project: https://www.mgexp.com/journal/The-B-And ... lory.3321/
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Here is a short summary of all I did...

1963 VW Type 2 double door panel van modified into a convertible as part of a 3-year bare metal restoration that included substantial reinforcements with 1” and 2”x4” steel tubing throughout as well as a fully boxed chassis and 2”x4” Aluminum Channel 6061-T6 bracing. The rear area above the engine has been converted into a trunk with a raiseable rear lid and lockable rear hatch using VW Thing engine hatch hinges, original bus hatch handle and a custom locking mechanism. It has a removable hard top designed to mimic a single cab at first glance that uses VW thing top latches and a factory rear window. There is also a custom cargo area tonneau cover using VW single cab tie downs.

It is powered by a rebuilt 1600cc engine from a later Type 2 and a 4 speed transaxle with original reduction gear boxes (RGB). The front brakes have been converted to disc using Porsche 944 calipers & rotors with a dual master cylinder. All wiring and electrical components, brakes & brake lines, and suspension have been replaced or rebuilt. Tires are new all-terrain (for the beach) mounted on early VW slotted chrome 205mm wheels with 5x130mm to 205mm wheel adapters for the front.

The body had all the rust removed and replaced with fresh sheet metal and the underbody has been coated with Beigegrau (Beige Grey) tinted Raptor bed liner and had single stage original color Turkis (Turquoise) under Blauweiss (Pale Blue) applied on the exterior. The interior metal was also coated with Pale Blue tinted Raptor bed liner. All inner frame rails and components have been fully coated with Eastwood internal frame coat and all seams sealed with POR-15 or with 3M seal sealer.

The interior was replaced using reproduction Como green & Phosphor pattern material wrapped over custom waterproof panels. The front seats were reupholstered in leather and include seat heaters with discreetly mounted switches. The radio is a classic sound VW reproduction using a dual cone stereo speaker in the stock location and includes an iPhone compatible input adapter. It also has a custom, sisal rubber backed floor mats for the cab, cargo area and rear trunk.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Turned out great!
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

Looks awesome glad to hear you enjoying it.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Thanks!

Chris
Chgrec

Post by Chgrec »

Had to do another post after a big weekend a couple of weeks ago....

While the bus has been "on the grass" at The Amelia Concours d’Elegance (really, it was just the Concours d'lemons), it was in its first official car show a couple of weeks ago. And it won people's choice!

It was too much fun even though I just really wanted to be able to drive inside the fort. We setup chairs in the back and hung out all day chatting with the folks. I really think it was my wife's free lemonade, hippie stickers, and hippie magnet flowers that won over the crowd. Let's just say that there was some real campaigning going on!
Trophy.jpg
Exit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.