Another Type 4 Turbo Project...

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
type3

Post by type3 »

jonas_linder wrote:Good work! :)

No let get the harness done and get the engine smoking :twisted:

Will do. :D Although I took a small break today and went to watch the Top Fuellers, Funny Cars and Fuel Altereds at Santa Pod raceway today. :D There was also guy there running a Megasquirt on a V8 powered Fastback which was pretty cool. :)

cheers,
type3
type3

Post by type3 »

MattKab wrote:Good pics and good timing! I get my MS this week :D

I'm interested in what board mods are required to configure for Extra with EDIS, after following the V3.0 assembly, there might be a short cut or two?

I'm not bothered about including any redundant circuits, 'iron is hot!

Matt
Hi Matt, I found this page:

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... dware.html

Doesn't look too complicated for the V3 (or V2.2) boards. :) Only thing I don't follow, is the difference between using and not using the FIDLE output... :? More reading... :)

cheers,
type3
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

Thanks, I fancy trying FIDLE. I'm too busy to be looking at MS right now, I'm using a stock Euro T2 cam today :twisted:, I've had this AN case apart for 8 years!

Matt
1979 Karmann Beetle with 1.8ti T4 (still pastel yellow)
1970 411 Variant (black) daily driver
1964 lil' window Beetle (soon to be black)
type3

Post by type3 »

type3 wrote:Only thing I don't follow, is the difference between using and not using the FIDLE output... :?
I think I have a better understanding of this now... I didn't know what FIDLE was as I wasn't familiar with Fast Idle Solenoids. I found a desription in the MS appendices documentation. My current D-Jet doesn't have one, instead it uses a Cold Start Injector (which I've had disconnected for years) and also has a screw to adjust air flow at idle (Air Bypass screw). My new throttle bodies came off a car with K-Jet so they also have an air bypass screw. I think this means I don't have to worry about FIDLE for my MS and instead use the LED17 output modification to get the switch between 0v & 5v that the EDIS requires.

This is what confused me:
'MS docs quote' wrote:The old codes replaced the FIDLE output with a spark output, this means that you can't control a fast idle valve any more. The current code allows you to use FIDLE or convert one of the LEDs into a spark output, this means you can still have fast idle control if you want it.
I now realise I can use the LED17 output and also have FIDLE control BUT not have to use it.

There's a good description of Fast Idle Valves on this page:

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/IAC.htm#fidle

I'll probably double check on the MSEFI forum to make sure I'm on the right track and have this straight in my head. :)

cheers,
type3
type3

Post by type3 »

MattKab wrote:Thanks, I fancy trying FIDLE. I'm too busy to be looking at MS right now, I'm using a stock Euro T2 cam today :twisted:, I've had this AN case apart for 8 years!

Matt
I know what mean by needing time to dedicate to the MS, I think that's why I only part built mine in the first place.

lol @ 8 years :D It's amazing how the years roll by! :)

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

You won't need fidle! We swedish guys don't anyway :lol: :wink:
type3

Post by type3 »

jonas_linder wrote:You won't need fidle! We swedish guys don't anyway :lol: :wink:
Cool, that's what I like to hear. :) I was trying to avoid using one to keep things simpler, added to fact that my D-Jet dosen't have one and the cold start is disconnected anyway (as per the Muir book). Sounds good to me. :D

cheers,
type3
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

Be careful where you mount that ford-coil. It´s wery sensitive to high temperatures so keep it far away from the hot stuff, my friend killed two i think, then he moved it to a colder place and the problem never came back..
type3

Post by type3 »

Todays offerings...

I've assembled the Relay Board, the Megaview is 99% completed. I've managed to misplace a couple of the parts so I'll need to get replacements if I can't find them.

Megaview and Relay Board:

Relay Board again and the flipside of the Megaview:

The relay board should make wiring in the Megasquirt a bit easier and provide some protection against accidentally frying main MS board. The Megaview should give some feedback on what the MS is up to and display it on the dashboard. :)

cheers,
type3

[EDIT]: Damn, looks like I've run out of hosting space... :roll: The pics will be online when I've cleared some space...
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Looks great :)
type3

Post by type3 »

jonas n wrote:Be careful where you mount that ford-coil. It´s wery sensitive to high temperatures so keep it far away from the hot stuff, my friend killed two i think, then he moved it to a colder place and the problem never came back..
Hi Jonas N,
Thank you for the tip, I'll bear that in mind when planning the install. :)

cheers,
type3
type3

Post by type3 »

jonas_linder wrote:Looks great :)
lol! Can you see the pics? :lol:

[EDIT] Looks like the pics are back. :D
Last edited by type3 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
type3

Post by type3 »

MattKab wrote: I'm interested in what board mods are required to configure for Extra with EDIS, after following the V3.0 assembly, there might be a short cut or two?

I'm not bothered about including any redundant circuits, 'iron is hot!

Matt
Hi Matt,
Reading up a bit, it does look like some of the main MS build is 'undone' by the 'Extra' mods. However, some of the items that need to be changed also need to be in place when testing with the Stimulator. e.g. The XG1 to XG2 jumper needs to in place to test with the Stim, but then gets removed in the EDIS/Extra instructions, I think the same is true for R10 and maybe others...

cheers,
type3
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

Good call Dan, I'll just rtfm and do like it says.. :)

Matt
1979 Karmann Beetle with 1.8ti T4 (still pastel yellow)
1970 411 Variant (black) daily driver
1964 lil' window Beetle (soon to be black)
type3

Post by type3 »

Small update:

Yesterday I collected a couple of distributor plugs that I had made at my local machine shop:

I ordered some 'big green injectors' from five0motorsport. They arrived last week. Thanks to Jonas L for the part number.

Other odds and ends:

My GM IAT still hasn't arrived from the States! :roll: However the guys on the megasquirt_uk forum have pulled through for me. They pointed out that I can just order a thermistor from RS Components - Part No. 151-215. Ref: Eliot's site Also turns out I can get the GM sensors in UK from John Woolfe's outlet albeit the sensors are under the 'Standard' brandname instead. Hindsight eh...!

I've come round to the idea of ditching the twin throttle body setup and going for a single TB, most likely one from Jenvey. They do them with and without injector mountings which would suit my needs.

Was hopeing to get my fan kit fitted last weekend but ran out of time... maybe this weekend... :)

cheers,
type3