Another Type 4 Turbo Project...

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
type3

Post by type3 »

Ephry73 wrote:That engine sure is looking good!

Keep us posted.

E
Sure will Ephry. :)

List of things to do in the meantime...

Fit the Fan kit: Modify the fan strap and come up with a suitable way to seal the breather tower.

Megasquirt: I've decided to go Megasquirt and Spark since buying my megasquirt kit. So I need to look into whether I can upgrade my existing kit. Also need a crank fired pulley wheel.

Rear Engine Brace: Will modify the bus cross bar to fit the Type 3. Will probably use spacers to clear the oil pump.

Check the End Float.

Find some better barrel spacers. I bought some 0.77mm spacers but they actually measured up at 0.91mm which makes the deck height a bit too large.

Find a solution for the exhaust.

cheers,
type3
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

Your motor will be awesome!!!!

A very realistic concept, I like it. 'Looking forward to more pics :D

MSnS with the Extra code :wink: EDIS not neccessary, V3.0 can have the VR circuit on-board and fire the coil-pack direct, using different code. I'm using EDIS, it's an incredible device IMO.

Keep up the effort,

Matt
1979 Karmann Beetle with 1.8ti T4 (still pastel yellow)
1970 411 Variant (black) daily driver
1964 lil' window Beetle (soon to be black)
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Nice :D

What's the plane for the "other" ? ;)
type3

Post by type3 »

jonas_linder wrote:Nice :D

What's the plane for the "other" ? ;)
The other engine will be a little way off yet, if it happens at all. I just seem to have enough parts left over to build a second engine. The engine I kinda set out to build in the first place. I've got a #73 cam, SLR coated Scat lifters, barrels, pistons, 42x38 heads, T25 Turbo and I still have a spare CU code engine to use as a core... so it makes sense to use those parts I guess in a low boost system. Maybe 5~6 psi. Still, that'll be another thread... :)

cheers,
type3
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

Sounds familiar Dan, only I was looking at an NA 2056.. plans are allowed to warp :twisted:

We can all use Another turbo thread 8)

Matt
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

MattKab wrote:Sounds familiar Dan, only I was looking at an NA 2056.. plans are allowed to warp :twisted:

We can all use Another turbo thread 8)

Matt
Soon there have to be a "type 4rum - turbo" :lol:
type3

Post by type3 »

MattKab wrote:MSnS with the Extra code :wink: EDIS not neccessary, V3.0 can have the VR circuit on-board and fire the coil-pack direct, using different code. I'm using EDIS, it's an incredible device IMO.
Okay, I'm trying to get myself back up to speed with the Megasquirt as I should have some time this week to finish my MS build. I've kinda forgotten whatever I knew before as I haven't kept my toe in...

Currently I have a v2.2 MS which is partly assembled, the Stimulator fully assembled and I bought a few other odd and ends like a flyback board etc.

So, MSnS Extra is only a firmware upgrade right? Mine isn't an MS II so I should be fine there. It was the EDIS that convinved me not to use a regular distributor so I'm all for that piece of hardware. :D

I originally compiled a vesion of Megatunix on Linux as I was just going to run the bog standard MS. But if I run MSnS Extra I'll have switch to Megatune on Windows right..?

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/

Fun, fun, fun! :)

cheers,
type3
type3

Post by type3 »

Back to basics... just found this page which has been updated since I last visited the site...

http://www.megasquirt.info/MS%20FAQ.htm#versions

See, I had forgotten the MS-II was a daughter board. It's all clear again now. :D

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

The new version av megatunix should support msnExtra.. but I'm not sure :?

MSnExtra should be able to control the EDIS and keep all the other good stuff 8)
type3

Post by type3 »

jonas_linder wrote:The new version av megatunix should support msnExtra.. but I'm not sure :?

MSnExtra should be able to control the EDIS and keep all the other good stuff 8)
Cheers Jonas, I'll take another look at Megatunix, it's probably changed quite a bit since I last looked at it. I think I need to read up some more. :)

cheers,
type3
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Type 3 i saw were you wrote you bought a new case for your buildup was the old case unusable. They say that the type4 case is indestructable.
type3

Post by type3 »

Passatman wrote:Type 3 i saw were you wrote you bought a new case for your buildup was the old case unusable. They say that the type4 case is indestructable.
The case was probably salvageable. It had led a very hard life and needed align boring. The cost of the machine work and oversized bearings made it not really cost effective as I paid a good price for the N.O.S. case (only a bit more than a new Type 1 case).

My second donor engine appears to be in better shape than the first, so for my second build I'll more than likely resue rather replace (if possible).

cheers,
type3

p.s. Tested the serial link on the Megasquirt today, so far so good. More soldering this evening... :)
type3

Post by type3 »

This week I've spent some time soldering the rest of my megasquirt together. Previously I had soldered the Stimulator and only the power supply section of the MS.

Stimulator:

MS power supply:

Testing the Power supply:

This week:

Once the input section of the MS was soldered, I could then test with Megatune on a PC:

This shows the Output section of the MS built:

Underside of the board showing the MAP sensor:

Just a few more components to finish the main MS board. I need to cut the holes in the end of the case, then I can solder the LED's in and the MOSFETS. I also need two small bolts to hold the MAP sensor in place and test the Output circuit. It should be all completed except for any changes that MSnS Extra requires.

Side notes: I've jumpered the D8 diode on the board as per the instructions as I have no idea if my ignition has a large offset bias... The XG1 and XG2 connections are currently jumpered, I'll cut that link too down the line if I need to. For the sensors: For the R4 (IAT sensor bias) resistor I've used a 2.49k value resistor and ordered the corresponding GM IAT sensor. I was hoping to use a sensor more readily available in the UK but didn't know what to go for so I went the safe option for the moment. Finally R7 (coolant sensor bias) I've used a 2.2k resistor as mentioned in the instructions for a Bosch sensor. As it's an aircooled engine I'll use a Bosch CHT (I'll take the one of my current D-Jet Type 3 engine). I assume the instructions are refering to a modern watercooled sensor so I'm guessing as to wether my 30 year Bosch CHT has the same resistance... if not I'll swap the resistor or use EasyTerm to recalibrate (more reading! :) ).

Went parts hunting yesterday, as I'm in London I there aren't that many salvage yards these days. Quite a few of them have shut done as enviomental laws have tightened up over the last few decades. The one place that still exists around here didn't have all the parts I needed so I only managed to grab an EDIS coil pack. There's a Ford parts place in the town center local to me so I may have to buy the parts new.

:)

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Good work! :)

No let get the harness done and get the engine smoking :twisted:
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

Good pics and good timing! I get my MS this week :D

I'm interested in what board mods are required to configure for Extra with EDIS, after following the V3.0 assembly, there might be a short cut or two?

I'm not bothered about including any redundant circuits, 'iron is hot!

Matt