www.apfelbeck.nl

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
vw_nobbe

Post by vw_nobbe »

Realy nice work!
Just a curious question, how will the rockers be lubricated ? / return oil be taken care of? Since it looks difficult to assemble a valve cover...

//Nobbe
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

Ugh, your heads and other valve parts look so pretty. I love the look of neat machined parts. As I look on your websiteyou show a "striaght shot" from the intake side.
You also have a smilar picture but with all metal in the gallery. How does the exaust side look?
Wesayso

Post by Wesayso »

Can Drive Soon wrote:How does the exaust side look?
Will this one do?

The entire valve train will be lubricated trough the (hollow) cam shaft.

Thanks for the kind words!
Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

Looks sweet!
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

I like the cleverness of the design... tidy, well thought out, simple but modern. A page from the Mercedes school of thought that says that 2 intakes and 1 exhaust is plenty.

I really like the space age material! LOL
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

I think those heads "may" flow a little bit better than my tired 2.0 Bus heads...but that's just a wild guess.

Beautiful work. I could picture one of Marty's turbo headers on that thing.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

That is sexy in so many ways :shock:
Wesayso

Update in place

Post by Wesayso »

I has been more than a while so an update has been placed on our Apfelbeck Site. Still no engine, Not even finalised heads but there is some real progress we thought was worth mentioning...

A teaser Picture:

More on the http://www.apfelbeck.nl/ home page.
We hope you'll enjoy seeing this phase and keep faith in us :? :wink:

At least it's a step up from our last update with that big sugarcube (lol)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That so screams "investment casting".

Ideal for low volume, very complex, high precision castings.

Basically you make what you want out of wax or plastic, cover it in a refractory casting plaster, melt out the wax, and pour in the aluminum. Then you break/media blast off the mold. You can hold a small fraction of a thou assuming you design in the aluminum shrinkage as it cools.

Making permanent, long lasting molds for WAX is also a heck of a lot easier than for Aluminum, and can easily be machined by hand if required.

One of those 3D rapid prototyping printer setups could likely lay up solid form finished parts in wax/plastic directly, accurate to a hundred thou or better.

IIRC there is a DIY version designed by some students at MIT or similar... Open source.

Also, IIRC Blender can produce DXFs, or something that translates. (Free 3D software)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Excellent progress!!!!!

Things for the TIV have never looked so good, with the Porkies heads,roller cams, these OHC heads and all the other things that are being developed currently the TI won't be able to touch us in 5 years or less!
Cohibra45

Post by Cohibra45 »

Roberto,

I sure would like to see you guys and the other teams:

http://www.rbernauer.de/

http://www.apfelbeck.nl/

http://www.pro-machining.com/

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/vw.htm

and Martin and Alex at Bugat5speed

get together and form a true international consortium group. All could share information, ideas and most importantly costs/rewards. This should make all concerns time lines much quicker. The different styles of heads, Jakes push rod 'Porkies', apfelbeck single ohc 3 valve, and your dohc 4 valve. I'm sure that each will have different costs/uses and the resulting benefits for all the VW aircooled community will be tremendous.

Just a thought. As Jake said over on his forum, a group working together can accomplish much more faster than individuals. I plan on posting this over on Jakes forum and Shoptalkforums and see what ideas and talk can be generated.

Kelly (Cohibra45)
Kelly (Cohibra45)

When only the BEST will do............

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
type3

Post by type3 »

Simply awesome! :D
L.A.R.D

Post by L.A.R.D »

dont forget www.laperformance.co.uk
just because we dont blurt it all over the net, next year we will release 2 new 2 type4 heads, billit ohv and billit ohc. :)
RonW

Post by RonW »

any update?
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8
Wally

Re:

Post by Wally »

RonW wrote: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:54 amany update?
Actually, yes there is :)

Since 2007 lots of things happenend, mostly life :wink:
but not so much on the project anymore.

I am a bit tenacious however and the team let me have a go at it to get these realised one way or the other 8) Thanks guys!!
So it isn't over and I have since made contact with a mold-making company with close relation to a foundry to help out. I also did ask around with the largest and even local 3D printing company's but to print in alu, costs even after 15 years are still very high.
CNC billet has also been a consideration as I have very good experience with a set of those already, but although its less costly, the heritage of these heads are cast. And cooling wise, something can be said for a the raw surface of cast fins I suppose :wink:
On the personal side, the modelmaking/casting company guy is really on my page and very close by, so my decision was made to go ahead with the (sand) casting option.

For some reference to nice Autocad pics from an equally old thread (wesyaso kept the website going fortunately):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70405&hilit=apfelbeck

Because two of the old (non-usable) castings were made for 98mm and we have these days a great source for biral 98mm cylinders (AA, yes those really are pretty good and very cheap), i got (another) set and made a temp set-up with a 98mm biral cylinder and a set of top-only (the short ones) original type 4 head studs (these heads also feature equal length headstuds):

One of the original castings (yes, its a large head volume!):

Of course I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks