What do I do with cracked 2.0 914 heads?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
R2.0

What do I do with cracked 2.0 914 heads?

Post by R2.0 »

Just like the title says. My first response would be to trash them, except they are 3-stud 914 heads.

I purchased them about 15 years ago with the intent of having them repaired at HAM Inc, but life intervened and he no longer performs said services (with good reason.) They are sharpie marked "cracked" on one head and "cracked guide boss" on the other. They are bare heads.

Does anyone else still do crack repairs? My intent would be to get them ported with larger valves as well at the time. These are to go into my Ghia on either a 2056 or 2270 build (haven't decided yet.)
1972 Karmann Ghia Convertible

"As God is my witness I though turkeys could fly." - A. Carlson -
cal 67

Re: What do I do with cracked 2.0 914 heads?

Post by cal 67 »

HAM has even started using AA 914 heads. That's probably best. No one really likes to repair cracked heads anymore.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

It can be done.
There are still some out there who to this kind of thing, but not many.

Best to go for more while you're at it;
Smaller plugs, fill in chambers, room for more porting, etc.

While you have them out of the oven and being welded,
it all kind of makes sense to do at the time.

Otherwise,
It's not really worth it to get a set of regular old 2.0 heads you can buy new from AA.
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
R2.0

Post by R2.0 »

Clatter wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 am It can be done.
There are still some out there who to this kind of thing, but not many.
I'm thinking of giving Adrian at HeadflowMasters a call and getting his take
Best to go for more while you're at it;
Smaller plugs, fill in chambers, room for more porting, etc.

While you have them out of the oven and being welded,
it all kind of makes sense to do at the time.
That was my thought as well.
Otherwise,
It's not really worth it to get a set of regular old 2.0 heads you can buy new from AA.
That's the thing, I already have them. The question is what will cost more, AA heads or mine repaired.
1972 Karmann Ghia Convertible

"As God is my witness I though turkeys could fly." - A. Carlson -
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I kind of mistyped..

It's not really worth it to get a set of OG 2.0 heads rebuilt if you can get them new from AA.

This has been discussed in Gene Berg's blue books, where the heat treat of old used heads, especially ones that were overheated - and therefore cracked, comes into question.
If they were hot enough to crack, they should be re-heat-treated.
All of the ferrous metal parts need removed for this process - studs, seats, etc.
Have me a stack of stripped and welded heads here ready to go to heat-treat, and the place closed.. :-(

If AA castings are good enough for Len, then it seems they really make sense for someone who will have to be shipping heads out.
Have had builders reject heads that i inspected and deemed good, then paid to ship.

IIRC, Len used to rebuild Bus heads. Then he used to rebuild 914 heads. Now AFAIK, he only does new.
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853