needle bearing positioning

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

Hi, I'm in the process of building an upright conversion using a Type 4 2056cc into a Ghia.

Using a 200mm flywheel , i'm at the point of fitting the needle bearing. I know it goes into the flywheel instead of into the crank, but how far.

How would this bearing be greased when in service, is there any point putting grease into the crank end.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Bruce.m

Re: needle bearing positioning

Post by Bruce.m »

Put a ruler across the bellhousing and measure the depth to the input shaft end where the pilot bearing gives support, then do the opposite on the back of the engine. The 200mm flywheel isn’t OEM so might be thicker etc.

Might not be any help but the 914 type4 had the pilot bearing in the flywheel as the input shaft on the 901 gearbox is shorter than the van box.

The correct installation for a 914 with a 215mm flywheel is:Image
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

Oh, and the felt washer is fitted at location marked as “a”, to keep the clutch dust out of the bearing. Bearing gets greased any time you have the engine out.
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

Bruce.m wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:05 pm Oh, and the felt washer is fitted at location marked as “a”, to keep the clutch dust out of the bearing. Bearing gets greased any time you have the engine out.
Thank you for your time and the detailed explanation, much appreciated.
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

Bruce.m wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:05 pm Oh, and the felt washer is fitted at location marked as “a”, to keep the clutch dust out of the bearing. Bearing gets greased any time you have the engine out.
I forgot to mention, the gearbox is the original Ghia gearbox, overhauled with updated gearing.

Thanks again.