Type IV machine shop between Seattle and Salem?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
BugUgly

Type IV machine shop between Seattle and Salem?

Post by BugUgly »

We (my son and I) think this crank needs a clean-up, so we're looking for a Type IV machine shop somewhere between Seattle and Salem. (We're near Vancouver, WA.) Recommendations?

The mains:
IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG
IMG_4872.JPG
IMG_4873.JPG
The rod journals:
IMG_4875.JPG
IMG_4882.JPG
IMG_4877.JPG
IMG_4878.JPG
And for assessment, here's the cam, but this will probably be changed for something more fun:
IMG_4879.JPG
IMG_4880.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
V8Nate

Re: Type IV machine shop between Seattle and Salem?

Post by V8Nate »

Northwest connecting rod in Seattle, he's been working on and driving vw's for decades and has done great work for me
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

IIRC Rocky Jennings is up that way as well, right?
He's really good...
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Halsey automotive in PDX can either take care of it or point you in the right direction.
NW Connecting rod has a great reputation tho and is a lot closer.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

Halsey Automotive Repair recommended Cam1 in Battleground, WA, only 25 minutes away, so thank you all for the tips! After some more de-gunking of the case, we'll take a box of parts to Cam1 for inspection on March 15 and ask for recommendations. I tried NW Connecting Rod several times but they didn't pick up. They may be taking a break until businesses get rolling again.

We're trying to keep this build as simple as we can, so the only likely performance upgrade will be a non-bus cam. It won't have anything fancy, but we'll have a lot of questions and solicit advice as we go. Should this have a build thread?
typ4

Post by typ4 »

I don't know how far along you are in your build but I have lots of type4 parts in my garage even some performance reground cams with reground German lifters which I have had the best luck with bar none in these engines.