Removing the center bearing - is there a trick?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
BugUgly

Removing the center bearing - is there a trick?

Post by BugUgly »

shrunk IMG_4776.jpg
Is there an easy trick to popping this center bearing out? It slides a bit around the axis. I'm reluctant to put pliers on it, but maybe I'm just chicken.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wally

Re: Removing the center bearing - is there a trick?

Post by Wally »

Not sure if it translates to 'pliers' but just grab the sides at one side of the bearing in a .... ('pipe wrench' ? tool) and pull it out from one side. The resistance will be very little.
cal 67

Post by cal 67 »

Hooked pick in the oil hole. Be sure to catch it.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I just grab those with some channel-locks.
Grabs it from the sides,
So if it does throw up a burr, it's easy to remove, and not in a place that matters.
Never does, though..
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Remember, when a bearing is placed in the block you have to push it the last bit as the bearing is in a slightly larger arc than the case is and that is done for a reason; e.g. to hold things in place.

Usually I have been able to carefully push the bottom of the bearing to one side allowing the top to move then I could get a hold of that or push up on the bottom of the bearing then lift the bearing out. If it is that tight then how "Clatter" said should work but again... be careful, very very careful of the block.

Lee
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I've reached in there with my soft rubber mallet and bonked it sideways a bit to knock it loose as well.

Like Fog here said, once you get it a bit crooked, it's easy enough to lever out.
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

Thank you, all,
After reading the tips above, I thought "how hard can it really be stuck in there?" So, grabbed the web with a hand above and below the bearing, both thumbs near the dowel, and pushed it sideways. A "hyargh" sound effect and it shoved over half a millimeter, then wiggled out easy. There wasn't any crud holding it in, just stiction and a good fit. I need stronger thumbs!
-Erik