Whoa - I have a 2.7L. Now what?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Type 4 Unleashed

Re: Whoa - I have a 2.7L. Now what?

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

So where are you in Orange County ?

Don't know what kinda of budget you have, I know EMW has at least one NOS German flywheel, used can be good also, as long as it hasn't been surfaced too many times, and has no flywheel seal grove, which I am seeing more and more on both issues. They also have the Kennedy pressure plates in stock.

I ran a 2.7 for some time in my 914, stock oil cooler, and slightly modified the stock fan housing for some additional cooling air, and had no issues. Mine was with 105.7mm cast iron cyl's, and the only indication of it running hotter was with the oil temp gauge rising when I was going up the hill west bound on Ortega from Lake Elsinore, even in hwy stop & go traffic, oil temps were normal.

My 914 projects are on hold, I am working on a long over due old school project.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
Tdskip

Post by Tdskip »

I am near Irvine, are you OC too? Small world.

How did you like the 2.7L in the 914? Should be a hoot, no?

If you are local I’d be more than happy to drop off (at a proper social distance) some of your favorite adult beveragel as a thank you for all of the information and coaching.
twodollardoug

Post by twodollardoug »

This is where I mounted my oil cooler on my 914.
20200809_161352.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twodollardoug

Post by twodollardoug »

Whoops, I don't know how it turned upside down.

If you click on your picture, it goes right side up.
Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

I am over by the 5 freeway & El Toro Blvd.

Yea the 2.7 was around 200 HP, so yes it was fun, drop it from 5th to 3rd @ 65 and nail it, it had torque to, I had split a number of bearing cages in the stock CV joints every 6 months to a year. When it gets back on the road, it will get up graded to 108mm CV's, only because I already have them. You may want to check into upgrading to 100mm CV's

Beverages sound good, but how's about down the road a bit.

And it looks like doug dbl down, a tranny cooler besides the engine cooler.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
twodollardoug

Post by twodollardoug »

I did.... A two fan setrab for oil and a single for the trans. Works quite well on those 115° days.
Tdskip

Post by Tdskip »

Richard - you are very close, probably drove by on the way to Sprouts today. Just let me know when and if you ever need any extra pair of hands please don’t be shy!

@twodollarsout - are those in serial, so one then the other and the back to the engine? Neat set up.
twodollardoug

Post by twodollardoug »

20200810_122618.jpg
No. The bigger cooler is engine oil and the smaller cooler is for the gearbox. Here is a picture from the cooler looking to the front of the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twodollardoug

Post by twodollardoug »

I have no idea why my pics are so cockeyed.
Tdskip

Post by Tdskip »

Oh geez - sorry, bad eyes / screen to small / kids juggling chainsaws on a busy street. I missed that clearly stated oil and trans cooler thing guys, sorry.

Thanks for the additional pictures, and no worries on the picture orientation. Some forums do that.
twodollardoug

Post by twodollardoug »

I was torn between going with a front mounted cooler vs a rear mount. The front mount is definitely popular on a 914. It just seamed like they were all six cylinders engines. I didn't know if the type 4 oil pump would push it to the front - thru the cooler- then back. So I chose the back of the car. Seems to be working great. My setup is 10 years old and this is my daily driver. I live in the Inland empire of socal and we see some pretty brutal temperatures out here. Another reason why I went with my trans cooler. I have a lot of money in my gearbox and want it to live. ESPECIALLY with it sitting behind the engine. It acts like a big heat sink back there. One more thing is I am dry sumped so I run about 10 quarts of oil.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

For several reasons they are not good signs. Jeez... :shock:

Lee
Tdskip

Post by Tdskip »

twodollardoug wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:47 pm I was torn between going with a front mounted cooler vs a rear mount. The front mount is definitely popular on a 914. It just seamed like they were all six cylinders engines. I didn't know if the type 4 oil pump would push it to the front - thru the cooler- then back. So I chose the back of the car. Seems to be working great. My setup is 10 years old and this is my daily driver. I live in the Inland empire of socal and we see some pretty brutal temperatures out here. Another reason why I went with my trans cooler. I have a lot of money in my gearbox and want it to live. ESPECIALLY with it sitting behind the engine. It acts like a big heat sink back there. One more thing is I am dry sumped so I run about 10 quarts of oil.
Another SoCal guy, right on! Temperatures are a little bit cooler here, but not a ton. If it’s work for you inland however that’s giving me some additional confidence in the build.

I appreciate the follow up and additional information.
Tdskip

Post by Tdskip »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:50 pm For several reasons they are not good signs. Jeez... :shock:

Lee
Hi Lee, Thanks for the response but I’m not quite sure what you are referring to.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

My bad, for some reason I opened the first page rather than the last page and was referring to the pix of the combustion chamber at the bottom of the page. Sorry!

Lee