Plasma Cutter Questions
-
powerwgn
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:22 pm
Plasma Cutter Questions
I am interested in purchasing a plasma cutter and I thought I would ask for some perspectives from this group.
What Brands would you suggest?
What Brands would you stay away from?
What range would you go for: up to 3/8 max, 1/2 max, or 7/8 max, or what?
Thanks for the perspective.
Mike
What Brands would you suggest?
What Brands would you stay away from?
What range would you go for: up to 3/8 max, 1/2 max, or 7/8 max, or what?
Thanks for the perspective.
Mike
- MikeVW
- Posts: 157
- Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:11 pm
-
bones
- Posts: 407
- Joined: Sat May 04, 2002 1:01 am
I have a thermal dynamics that cuts 3/8. It is great. When the settings are correct, the cuts look like they were sheared. I bought a circle cutter and its way cool. My wife even did some art work with it. Big thing is if there is moisture in your line the moitusre eats the electrodes.
A buddy bought the same brand but his cuts 5/8 - good if you want to build a battle ship I suppose.
A buddy bought the same brand but his cuts 5/8 - good if you want to build a battle ship I suppose.
-
Super "B"
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:45 am
Take the thickness of material that you will be cutting the most of. Then double the size and the will be the size rating of the plasma cutter that you will want to buy. example cuting 1/4" thick material buy a plasma rated for 1/2" cutting. This will give you faster cleaner cuts and longer comsumable life. I just got a Hypertherm 600 powermax and I love it.....
-
trscott
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:32 pm
Hypertherm
I own a Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter and I absolutely love it. Plasma Cutting is scary fun. As an off-road builder once said in an online article somewhere, you can end up at the end of your first evening using a new plasma cutter with twice as many pieces of steel that in total weigh a bit less than when you began. As he put it: "Must use... power... for good..." He was right.
A couple suggestions:
1) Plasma cutters are pretty complex and not cheap, but don't scrimp and get an off-brand. You will not regret getting a top brand. Unlike a welder, you are going to be buying proprietary consumables, so get a reputable name brand that you are sure you can easily get the tips for.
2) You will need VERY dry air for best performance, so you will want to retrofit your air compressor with one or two stages of air drying depending on how humid the climate is where you are. I use a large separator and a desicant cartridge that I recharge by drying it near my wood stove.
A couple suggestions:
1) Plasma cutters are pretty complex and not cheap, but don't scrimp and get an off-brand. You will not regret getting a top brand. Unlike a welder, you are going to be buying proprietary consumables, so get a reputable name brand that you are sure you can easily get the tips for.
2) You will need VERY dry air for best performance, so you will want to retrofit your air compressor with one or two stages of air drying depending on how humid the climate is where you are. I use a large separator and a desicant cartridge that I recharge by drying it near my wood stove.
-
trscott
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:32 pm
Hypertherm
I own a Hypertherm Powermax 600 plasma cutter and I absolutely love it. Plasma Cutting is scary fun. As an off-road builder once said in an online article somewhere, you can end up at the end of your first evening using a new plasma cutter with twice as many pieces of steel that in total weigh a bit less than when you began. As he put it: "Must use... power... for good..." He was right.
A couple suggestions:
1) Plasma cutters are pretty complex and not cheap, but don't scrimp and get an off-brand. You will not regret getting a top brand. Unlike a welder, you are going to be buying proprietary consumables, so get a reputable name brand that you are sure you can easily get the tips for.
2) You will need VERY dry air for best performance, so you will want to retrofit your air compressor with one or two stages of air drying depending on how humid the climate is where you are. I use a large separator and a desicant cartridge that I recharge by drying it near my wood stove.
A couple suggestions:
1) Plasma cutters are pretty complex and not cheap, but don't scrimp and get an off-brand. You will not regret getting a top brand. Unlike a welder, you are going to be buying proprietary consumables, so get a reputable name brand that you are sure you can easily get the tips for.
2) You will need VERY dry air for best performance, so you will want to retrofit your air compressor with one or two stages of air drying depending on how humid the climate is where you are. I use a large separator and a desicant cartridge that I recharge by drying it near my wood stove.
- Hank Winning
- Posts: 608
- Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2001 12:01 am
We have a miller plasma and really happy with it and what it can do.
A buddy bought a Ebay special(read made in China)
and while it does work it isn't anyway near as heavy duty as the Miller
and his consumables are going to be really hard to come by
It also have a ceramic cone that wears out
spring for a good brand and keep it a long time
hank
A buddy bought a Ebay special(read made in China)
and while it does work it isn't anyway near as heavy duty as the Miller
and his consumables are going to be really hard to come by
It also have a ceramic cone that wears out
spring for a good brand and keep it a long time
hank
- pafree
- Posts: 292
- Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:58 pm
before you choose a brand, look for replacement parts and someone who services them in your area. that way you dont have to ship it out to get it fixed. like Bones said moisture kills them. make room in your closet for it. i use and like the Hobart. my brother in laws work has one that we use. in searching find out how big of an air compressor you will need to work it if you dont get the internal compressor.
- Kelroy
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:04 pm