What shocks are you running?

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
jrinlv315
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:15 pm

What shocks are you running?

Post by jrinlv315 »

I have a standard TI Balljoint and want to know what are good shocks to run? I would like something that you could adjust, and I'm not afraid to beef up any mounts (I've heard you may need to do this with coil overs). I also would not be opposed to running 2 different types of shocks, fr and back.
Any info would be great. Thanks JR
Guest

Post by Guest »

i run bilsteins, but they're not adjustable.
jrinlv315
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:15 pm

Post by jrinlv315 »

anyone know if there is an adjustable shock I could run on a balljoint pan, thats not coilover?
Ozzie
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:16 pm

Post by Ozzie »

Yep.

Koni reds. Compression & rebound adjustable.
Should run you about $110 each.
Model #'s for BJ & IRS T1
F: 80-1787
R: 80-2149
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
Ben Franklin
User avatar
Southernbug
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:33 am

Koni's

Post by Southernbug »

For my 74 standard beetle I used Koni Red adjustables as well. I bought mine from www.donssport.com

IRS Rear Koni Special Front Shock (#80-1787) $104.37 Each
IRS Rear Koni Special Rear Shock (#80-2149) $104.37 Each[/url]
Bruce2
Posts: 7105
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:01 am

Post by Bruce2 »

ozzie wrote: Koni reds. Compression & rebound adjustable.
F: 80-1787
Koni reds can only be adjusted for extension. Compression is fixed.
racelook
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:28 pm

Post by racelook »

Koni Red
Ozzie
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:16 pm

Post by Ozzie »

Bruce2 wrote:
ozzie wrote: Koni reds. Compression & rebound adjustable.
F: 80-1787
Koni reds can only be adjusted for extension. Compression is fixed.
You are right Bruce, but you knew that too.
I must have been reading how to adjust a different model.
Sorry guys.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
Ben Franklin
gcorrado
Posts: 955
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:42 am

Post by gcorrado »

i run bilsteins. not adjustable, but happy with them.

also got them from http://www.donssport.com/

one thing though, you need to but the top ends seperately for those.
User avatar
Bruceg
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:36 am

Post by Bruceg »

I have the Spax adjustables. You don’t need to take them off the car to adjust them which is nice, and they are cheaper than the Konis. I don’t know the number but I got them from CSP in Gremany.
Ozzie
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:16 pm

Post by Ozzie »

Can you link us up to some info on them?
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
Ben Franklin
User avatar
Ghia Nut
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Ghia Nut »

Id also like to hear about those Spax and hear how they handle. I will be going with Bilstiens due to longevity and stiffness... should be a pretty bummpy ride with full white line race setup :shock:
User avatar
Bruceg
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:36 am

Post by Bruceg »

Hi: the adjustable rears for IRS are G482 and the standard fronts are G616 and G492.

I THINK the G616 are for regular height and the G492 are for lowered. It’s not clear from the Spax catalog but that’s what I remember. So check before you order

http://www.spax.co.uk/downloads/RSX%20K ... f/kits.pdf

http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/shop2/sh ... 1246714426

I got them 5 or 6 years ago and now they are 100 euros each. Performance wise I don’t have anything to compare them with. On dead soft they are about the same as the old Gabriels that I pulled off. On full hard they can shake my fillings out. They have 28 settings which is really too much. 5 would probably be fine. On the street I run the backs at 2 or 3 and the fronts at 8 (0 being the softest). For an autocross I just reach under and bump them up about 4 clicks, fast back roads one or two more. Now while they have the adjustment screw on the side of the shock it is at the bottom and covered by the lower shock mount at the rear. I had to drill a hole in the lower mount big enough to get a screw driver through. On my wish list of things to do is to glue a big plastic knob on the adjusting screw so I can adjust them without looking at them or using a screw driver. Compared to the Konis which you have to take off to adjust the Spax are great.

Another option is to buy the Koni reds and then send them to Koni to have the external adjustability put in. I think it was about $130/shock last I asked. Because of the way they mount they can only make the fronts externally adjustable.
cruzinbug
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:52 pm

Post by cruzinbug »

what about custom making some front shock using kyb AGX? im sure i can fab something up, any idea on how well it might work? anyone done something like this before?
Post Reply