6 inch wider beam

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.

Moderators: Leatherneck, rickosuave1987

mazda_6t9

6 inch wider beam

Post by mazda_6t9 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:03 pm

I have two front beams that are stock, one is a ghia disc 4 lug. I was wondering what is the best way to widen the setup I already have. I do not have the cheese to pick up a chromoly yet. Can I do it with the setup I have? the beams and componets look to be the same on both beams. Has anyone done this or can provide a link or something, thank you.

MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:32 pm

They can be widened...

I'll have to dig up my site listing....

If you're doing adjustable lift and going offroad, don't use cheap kits.

T.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:40 pm

I was just gonna raise it with no adjusters, just solid. Would that be better? Should I go rack and pinion at the same time then?

HamburgerBrad

Post by HamburgerBrad » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:14 pm

cut and turn is cheesy. if you're going to lift it, use adjusters

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:57 pm

which adjusters are good to use? I would need two sets then right?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:09 pm

Or you could go with 2" raised spindles and install a front disk brake kit while you at it.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:14 pm

thing spindles?

Daniel G

Post by Daniel G » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:23 pm

HamburgerBrad wrote:cut and turn is cheesy. if you're going to lift it, use adjusters

Works just fine if you're a cheapskate like me... :lol:

Daniel

BugZyla.com

Post by BugZyla.com » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:48 am

You can use the 2 beams you have. If you are going 6 inches wider, just cut one beam 3 inches to the left of the grub screw, and the other beam 3 inches to the right. Set the two pieces up on a a level surface and tie them down. Make sure they are straight and level, and weld them together. If you want to cut and turn it, do one tube at a time after you have welded the 2 back together. Adjusters are nice, but im still a cheapskate too....I cut and turned mine. Check out my site http//:www.bugzyla.com and click on pictures for the visual.

guestme

Post by guestme » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:40 am

do it like bugz says. but make it easy. I think it 1 3/4" tube will just fit in a b/j beam. not sure if that the sieze so check it out. I already had the tubing. anyway my tube was a prefect fit with slite tapping.> i used this as a sleeve, it made a prefect alingment. Then leave a 1/8" gap for welding. I my book I"d rather cut and turn

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:46 am

OR you could save a beam. use just one. buy two sets of adjusters and tubing cut your beam on the outside of the grub screw (each side) add the adjusters and ex tubing then cut the springs and renotch those. Thats if theres no broken springs ha ha

MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:07 pm

I'm with Brad...

It is nice to be able to fine-tune tweek the beam after it's installed.

We have one with just the cut & turn... not nearly as nice as the others to setup... the alignment guys appreciate the flexibility...our shop does tune up the springs along with the front.

T.

pploco

Post by pploco » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:21 pm

Where can you find adjusters? Which ones are recommended?

HamburgerBrad

Post by HamburgerBrad » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:09 pm

any vw shop. stay away from latest rage and empi parts

INSAYN

Post by INSAYN » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:42 am

I am more of a fan of just leaving the beam alone and adjusting the spindle. Lifted spindles or use Thing spindles will allow your suspension to be a nice ride on bumpy trails. And don't tell me that it is going to leave your front too soft. Have you seen how I have launched my car? It handles the jumps just fine.

BTW - Who cares much about a perfect alignment on a car that will be knocked back out of alignment if you drive it like an offroad car should be driven...HARD!!

INSAYN™