Pedal Repair

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!

Moderator: Marc

Kelley

Post by Kelley » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:51 am

Glenn wrote: You can get brand new black plastic gas pedals from your local VW dealer.
IF,,,,,,, you can get them to look it up. Most of your dealership parts folks behind the counter are too lazy or know nothing about parts-lookup on microfiche for the older cars. Most of the dealers dont even have ACVW"s on their newer EPC systems. On the other hand, if you give them a part # to begin with,,,,,,,,,

bt

Post by bt » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:31 pm

In the second picture, where does the long skinny spring go(at the bottom of the pic). I just bought a new assembly and this spring is messing with my mind. I don't have the old cluster.
thanks

Marc

Post by Marc » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 am

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=63623
The short tail of it pokes out under the accelerator pedal and catches against the casting; the loop rides around the pivot pin (the small-O.D. portion of it, which prevents the pin from slipping out) and the long end catches on a hook on the underside of the pedal. Its purpose is to hold the pedal down, in light contact with the throttle roller.

CopperBaja

Dragging out an old thread....

Post by CopperBaja » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Type-D wrote:after i just went and bought all the stuff to rebuild it now im a little ticked at the last owner i mean jeez there is a reason VW didnt weld it there in the first place!
Doh!!!
So...I'm also being inducted into the "PO welded the clutch pedal" club as well...so what's the fix? Say "F it" and Just buy a new assembly? Or drill it out and bolt it???

I've heard the $75 Mexican ones aren't as strong as the stock assemblies....
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)

Kelley

Post by Kelley » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 pm

Get a good, used pedal assembly for cheap and rebuild.

I've seen them on eBay, The Samba, and in the classifieds here for less than $10 bones. That, the parts to rebuild, and the shipping is cheaper than a new assembly.

CopperBaja

Post by CopperBaja » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:32 pm

kelwa1 wrote:Get a good, used pedal assembly for cheap and rebuild.

I've seen them on eBay, The Samba, and in the classifieds here for less than $10 bones. That, the parts to rebuild, and the shipping is cheaper than a new assembly.
Thanks! I haven't seen them that cheap, but I see $40 already rebuilt....

I was just looking for confirmation before I spend the dough and pitch my current one.
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)