AVP head

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
ratwell
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:01 am

AVP head

Post by ratwell »

I've got a new AVP head that's leaking down 50% on the exhaust valve. I've got some grave concerns about install it and hoping it will fix itself.

Does anyone have a recommendation besides send it back and buy a head from someplace else?
HAM Inc
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:33 am

Post by HAM Inc »

Don't install it. If the valve is leaking that much, something is bad wrong. I'm assuming you checked it with a leak down tester? If so try tapping the valve lightly with a brass hammer. If this doesn't bring the leakage down to 2% or less then you have a problem. If the seat is not concentric the valve can grab it and yank it out of the head, (this can be catastrophic). At the very least you'll burn a valve.
If the shop that did the work won't make it good, then you'll know not to use them again!
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Damn....... 50%?
DAMN!

If you goahead and install it you may as well be pissing up a rope..
ratwell
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:01 am

Post by ratwell »

HAM Inc wrote:Don't install it. If the valve is leaking that much, something is bad wrong. I'm assuming you checked it with a leak down tester?
Yes. Here's the leakdown gauge in action: http://tinyurl.com/5koxg
If so try tapping the valve lightly with a brass hammer. If this doesn't bring the leakage down to 2% or less then you have a problem.
The other cylinders on this never run engine (rebuild) are leaking 4-6% which I would expect before doing the test.
If the seat is not concentric the valve can grab it and yank it out of the head, (this can be catastrophic). At the very least you'll burn a valve.
I'm afraid of burning it.
If the shop that did the work won't make it good, then you'll know not to use them again!
Thanks for the advice.
HAM Inc
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:33 am

Post by HAM Inc »

If I did a pair of heads that leaked a low of 4% and a high of 50% I'd fall on my sword!
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

And people still wonder why good heads cost..............

This is a great illustration.
ratwell
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:01 am

Post by ratwell »

The heads came with a longblock. This is a budget repair for a friend and I'm not quite ready to write these heads off yet although as you both confirm they are very scary.

Good work that's error free and guaranteed costs money. No doubt about that.
User avatar
Bobby74
Posts: 1747
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Bobby74 »

try lapping the valves to see what type of contact area the valves are making with the seats. If you're lucky, you might be able to get by with re-lapping the valves. If its too far off, you'll have to get the seats and valves ground to the same margins.
turboteener
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:01 am

Post by turboteener »

Do not lap valves on a good valve job or on any engine you care about. The valve lapping compound will embed itself in the seat and valve and promptly kill the valve seal over the (short) life of the engine.
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

turboteener wrote:Do not lap valves on a good valve job or on any engine you care about. The valve lapping compound will embed itself in the seat and valve and promptly kill the valve seal over the (short) life of the engine.
I know I'm resurrecting an ancient post, but I have to say "Huh?" to this one...

I have ALWAYS lapped my valves in, and have always gotten great service from them, no issues, ever, over many many hundreds of thousands of miles, mostly in ACVWs.

I have never had as much as not having one liquid-tight (solvent) when checking before I replace the ex valves at ~50K. They don't even ooze.

People have been lapping in valves for 100+ years without issue, so once again, I have to say "Huh???"

Perhaps you forgot to clean them off?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
blue77bay
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:03 am

Post by blue77bay »

not only do i lap valves i also lap cylinders ,no problems here ?????????????
be ultra ultra thorough when cleaning ,then clean again :D
User avatar
Class 11 streeter
Posts: 4083
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Class 11 streeter »

I think I remember Len saying he laps valves with a compound so mild it makes DIY off the shelf lapping compound look like gravel.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Class 11 streeter wrote:I think I remember Len saying he laps valves with a compound so mild it makes DIY off the shelf lapping compound look like gravel.
Yes, he uses the same "ajax" trick that I have spoken about here in the past.. There hasn't been a fine enough lapping compound on the market for us in years..

Comet or Ajax mixed with a tad of water works wonders.
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

I have a bottle of 5 micron alumina here that should do...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jotunrunner
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 9:45 am

lap?

Post by Jotunrunner »

lap? huh? ajax? really? -this is something ive never heard of, and never dream of trying without a lot more info. anyone care to illustrate this procedure?
Post Reply