78mm Stroker Crank Forged or Cast??

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Floyd
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:01 am

78mm Stroker Crank Forged or Cast??

Post by Floyd »

Has anyone had any experience with cast Stroker cranks?

I'm building a 2007cc daily driver, I'm searching for 78 crank,
I see cast and forged availble, are cast cranks really risky?
I have no experience in this area.
If any one has used one for sale please let me know.
Thanks.
User avatar
turboblue
Posts: 3969
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:01 am

Post by turboblue »

Scat catalog says 5500 rpm and 130 HP for a cast crank.
Me? I'd use a forged......
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
Image
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
User avatar
JC-ATL
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:01 am

Post by JC-ATL »

Forged, Floyd, forged.

Where ya been, man?
User avatar
gerico
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by gerico »

CB sells a "4130 forged" and nitrited 76mm stroker for a bit under $200. Sounds waaaay to good to be true. Anybody ever use one of these???
Type 5 Joe
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Type 5 Joe »

I have used the C.B. Cranks....

The 4140 Cranks for $189.95 are not nitrided.

Actually its an extra expense option on the 4340 Crank..... $50.00 extra.

Their site is sometimes inconsistant with the info.

- Joe
Floyd
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Floyd »

Hey John,
I've been here and there.

I have a set of 90.5 long stroke pistons. Guess i can't use em with the 76 stroke?
User avatar
Glenn
Posts: 5108
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Glenn »

The only thing cast cranks are good for is a door stop.

It's cheaper to buy a forged crank to begin with than to buy one after replacing everything that went when a cast crank breaks.

And it will.

read tag line below
User avatar
gerico
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by gerico »

Joe, you said you have used the CB cranks. Were you happy with them?? Is nitriding worth the extra $50?? $190 to $240 for a decent forged 76mm crank sounds like a great deal. Emphasis here is on "decent". Hate to be cheap but budget constraints won't allow a $400+ crank and I would rather go with a high quality forged German 69mm crank than a poor quality stroker.

Glen, I agree. Somebody said you can tell the difference between a cast and forged crank by tapping them with a hammer and listening to the sound. The forged crank rings, the cast crank breaks. :wink:
Type 5 Joe
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Type 5 Joe »

They are a good value....

You can only get the Nitride option on the 4340 Cranks.

I just ordered another 76mm last Friday for a customer.I wouldn't be buying any if I have had problems.

The only thing the Nitride Treatment does is increase the wear-resistance slightly... If your on a budget, go with a full-flow oil system, ect..

Proper Machine work / Assembly / Engine Combo / Maintenence... Will be the best investment in any case.

Run a German Dog-House Cooling system with the flaps / Thermostat

Be realistic about your application... Most street / Off-Road motors like small ports and small duration cams.

Good Luck, - Joe
User avatar
gerico
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by gerico »

Joe,

Thanks for the feedback on the crank, they sound like a REALLY good buy.
If I go with one of the CB 76mm cranks I'll use 90.5 P&C, CB cromoly rods, 40x35 heads, and either an Engle 110 or possibly a Web 218 cam, maybe about 7.5 compression, and a 1 1/2" merged header. Get Rimco to balance everything. It's going to be a daily driver...my primary transportation so it has to be reliable and have decent throttle response in trafffic. I have a doghouse system, the parts for an external filter, a 1 1/2 qt sump, and a couple of AJs kads w/ aluminum manifolds. Probably use a 5800 rpm rev limiter.

Sound OK?
Type 5 Joe
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Type 5 Joe »

Sounds Good!

I would run 8.5 to 1 compression....

set up your rocker-arm geometry, use cut-to-length pushrods, ect...

use some Curil K-2 on the case halves.

Sounds like a good plan!

- Joe
User avatar
JC-ATL
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:01 am

Post by JC-ATL »

Floyd, if you use those long-stroke pistons with a 76mm crank, you'll have a bitch of a time getting enough compression.

Go buy a forged crank, too.
RoWaMe
Posts: 1698
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 12:01 am

Post by RoWaMe »

A few years ago I bought a new 78mm cast crank for relatively cheap at a local swap meet. The engine for it is nearly finished- also a 2-liter (78x90.5), stock-valve heads (home-ported), engle 110 cam, 7.9:1, and 1 3/8" headers. Topped with used German tin/thermostat/flaps and 36 Dell's- it'll be for a highway cruiser engine with no drag-starts nor high revs. If I can only get the too-tight endplay finally set...
User avatar
gerico
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by gerico »

T5 Joe and JC-ATL,

Any idea how a 2L will work with mild cam, 35x32 valves, and 1 3/8" headers??? Sounds like a reasonable low dollar hyway build but I thought a setup lile this would run hot.
User avatar
JC-ATL
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:01 am

Post by JC-ATL »

Just by that info, it wouldn't necessarily run hot, if it was built right. It would be more of a torque machine than a horsepower maker.

Personally, I don't see a need to go that big if you're not gonna give it something to work with.
Post Reply