Type 3 turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
dark_deco_fan

Type 3 turbo

Post by dark_deco_fan »

Seeing that i can't find any pictures, or pre-made kits for a type 3. I decided to put my DSM experience and see what happenes.

But its been awhile and i have some questions.

Now i don't have any unreasonable expectaions for this project. I'm looking to run under 8psi. Non intercooled.

Because i owed a Talon Turbo awd, and worked on it quite a bit. I remember that it had a mass, Fuel Injection, and electorinc ignition. Now with a air cooled there is non of that. So question #1

How does the distributer fair up to a forced induction system. Should i get an electronic ignition system, or keep the stock system. ( remember i don't plan on using alot of boost)

#2 I know you really can't push the boost up to much on a stock motor. I have a 1776 being build ( too slow for my taste, Damn lasy bastard mechanic) Will a the factory Rods hold up to 8psi on a quick spool turbo.
( Mitts, t25) spools 2000rps-5500rps.

#3 Has anyone had any problems adjusting the carbs, and at what rate does it have to be adjusted, ( aka every 3 months?)

Well thats enough for now.

I'm still deciding if its really worth to turbo, or just build big.

~Dark
volksnut

Post by volksnut »

lots of choices...
#1......lock stock distributor out for no advance, set at 24 degrees
#2......find a dual vacuum unit from a vanagon to use to retard timing under boost
#3......get a MSD distributor with MSd 6AL and a boost retard unit...
Stock rods are fine, I'm running 10psi now with them....
jmillheiser

Post by jmillheiser »

on a type3 i would run a draw through turbo(i.e. carb is BEFORE the compressor inlet). this would be the easiest option for a low boost setup.

if your 1776 has a low compression ratio and relatively mild cam it should work just fine for a small turbo.

on a type 3 your best bet would be to run the turbo under the car somewhere. might be able to pull the turbo off and still have the STOCK engine lid fit.

a turbo VW engine even sounds kinda like a DSM motor (ive herd quite a few of both)
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

I'm going this weekend to size up a turbo on a guys '65 square with Type IV power. He's kind of interested in having a system built for him. I'm gonna use a T3 and a 1.75 SU carb fo mock up. The SU would probably work and fit awesome in a Type III. We'll see.
Check out www.thevolksnut.com or email Volksnut for more info on tuning SU carbs on turbo VWs.

Hey look Eric...MORE EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
danielzink

Post by danielzink »

well.........here's a couple of pics for ya' - just to whet your appetite...from my stash of old VW magazines from years past...;)

Dan

65 Notch 2300cc Type4

EJ22 powered Rail

http://www.danielzink.com
dark_deco_fan

Wow, Great Picks

Post by dark_deco_fan »

Well those pics solve my next couple of questions. perfectly.

I tip my hat in your direction

~dark