I cant see behind me!!!!!
-
bottomend
- Posts: 655
- Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:01 am
I cant see behind me!!!!!
I need to get bigger mirrors. Period. I cant see anything back there and I'm just waiting for the crash. Not if, but when...
I've seen busses with ' barndoor" mirrors. I need em. They didn't look too bad either! ( I'm trying to convince myself of this) I'd like some that I wouldn't have to drill holes in my doors. As a matter of fact, I refuse to drill my doors. Is there a style I can buy that use the stock mirror mount as the lower mount for the larger mirror? For some strange reason I think I'm gonna get responses from English people on this question... just a hunch.
I've seen busses with ' barndoor" mirrors. I need em. They didn't look too bad either! ( I'm trying to convince myself of this) I'd like some that I wouldn't have to drill holes in my doors. As a matter of fact, I refuse to drill my doors. Is there a style I can buy that use the stock mirror mount as the lower mount for the larger mirror? For some strange reason I think I'm gonna get responses from English people on this question... just a hunch.
-
Furbo
- Posts: 41
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:40 am
-
bottomend
- Posts: 655
- Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:01 am
- amskeptic
- Posts: 666
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:01 am
-
bottomend
- Posts: 655
- Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:01 am
Skept! You live in the uptite industrial north, I " live" in the laid back lovin' south land. You sound like me and I sound like you.... hey, I got an idea! Since your bus has all those good vibes floating around it, lemme back it up in a crowded parking lot for a week or so. Should be ok after that right?
My bumpers are undented and I'd like to keep 'em that way...
My bumpers are undented and I'd like to keep 'em that way...
- Bobby74
- Posts: 1747
- Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:01 am
He's got a point though... most people see an old vehicle and definatly don't want to hit it. They usually ride pretty far back because they dont know what to expect. I find myself more confident to pass a Honda or whatever VERY close but if its a car thats more than 20 years old, I use more caution. I care more about the older vehicles so, I don't do anything risky around them. Insurance isn't going to give you what its worth if you total it (providing you actually havecomprehensive or collision). What I'm saying is, your bus has the "I'm old, stay away" aura. Don't worry about it MAN....
Peace,
-Bobby
Peace,
-Bobby
-
bottomend
- Posts: 655
- Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:01 am
Bobby74, I get what you're saying about the old car thing but out here in LA LA land people are only concerned with thier "own" vibe.
I dont know how many times I've been almost sideswiped or run into because some fake boobed, anorexic, bad lip job wearing, skanky wanna be "actress" thinks I should not be allowed to drive on the same street that she is driving on because shes in a hurry to get to her Daddy's house so she can get more money to finance her latest plastic experiment.
People drive crazy out here. I cant get away from it cause I live RIGHT IN THE CITY. It's like when you're from the country and you go to the city for a visit and you see a cute little dog. You walk up to it to give it a little pat on the head and the thing just about bites your benevolent hand off. Same thing. Just because I'm driveing a "friendly old car" doesn't mean crap out here. People are really clueless and MEAN. Everybody reading this... Be thankful you dont live in this Hell Hole. ( If you DO live in LA, come visit me in my neighbor hood and I'll show you what I'm talking about. )
I dont know how many times I've been almost sideswiped or run into because some fake boobed, anorexic, bad lip job wearing, skanky wanna be "actress" thinks I should not be allowed to drive on the same street that she is driving on because shes in a hurry to get to her Daddy's house so she can get more money to finance her latest plastic experiment.
People drive crazy out here. I cant get away from it cause I live RIGHT IN THE CITY. It's like when you're from the country and you go to the city for a visit and you see a cute little dog. You walk up to it to give it a little pat on the head and the thing just about bites your benevolent hand off. Same thing. Just because I'm driveing a "friendly old car" doesn't mean crap out here. People are really clueless and MEAN. Everybody reading this... Be thankful you dont live in this Hell Hole. ( If you DO live in LA, come visit me in my neighbor hood and I'll show you what I'm talking about. )
- amskeptic
- Posts: 666
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:01 am
Still looking for that fan hub cover, yes.
And I was in your neighborhood, as an upstate New York hick lost in the big city, and WE drove your streets to the little VW bearing emporium, and I did not find L.A. traffic that daunting. You may not realize that the general driving culture of L.A. is vastly more aware of and practiced-with traffic dynamics than the MOErons I deal with here. The frenzied freeway free-for-all just requires the cardinal rule of GO AS FAST AS EVERYONE ELSE. Then your reaction times can relax a little, the shuffles are happening almost statically around you. But if you are ten to twenty mph slower, watch out, then it's all rushing at you. When I left your area, I drove straight to Palm Springs on Interstate 10 and did not drive less than 75 and was still being passed by most everybody, but they weren't rushing up on my bumper at least.
I think you are experiencing the VW Bus Stoplight Self-Esteem Issue, where EVERYONE passes by you at every green light. I have had a quarter-century practice at ignoring their hurry. I'll be waving at the pedestrians who are pointing my car out to their companions, while the din of blaring horns is drowned out by the Grateful Dead. Then I give my best "stoner" impression to the furious dolled-up Lincoln Navigator cell phone yacker at the next red light. Really man. . . " Hey chick, howzzat bogus piece of capitalist trash on gas?"
Colin
And I was in your neighborhood, as an upstate New York hick lost in the big city, and WE drove your streets to the little VW bearing emporium, and I did not find L.A. traffic that daunting. You may not realize that the general driving culture of L.A. is vastly more aware of and practiced-with traffic dynamics than the MOErons I deal with here. The frenzied freeway free-for-all just requires the cardinal rule of GO AS FAST AS EVERYONE ELSE. Then your reaction times can relax a little, the shuffles are happening almost statically around you. But if you are ten to twenty mph slower, watch out, then it's all rushing at you. When I left your area, I drove straight to Palm Springs on Interstate 10 and did not drive less than 75 and was still being passed by most everybody, but they weren't rushing up on my bumper at least.
I think you are experiencing the VW Bus Stoplight Self-Esteem Issue, where EVERYONE passes by you at every green light. I have had a quarter-century practice at ignoring their hurry. I'll be waving at the pedestrians who are pointing my car out to their companions, while the din of blaring horns is drowned out by the Grateful Dead. Then I give my best "stoner" impression to the furious dolled-up Lincoln Navigator cell phone yacker at the next red light. Really man. . . " Hey chick, howzzat bogus piece of capitalist trash on gas?"
Colin
-
bottomend
- Posts: 655
- Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:01 am
Skept, I drive down my hill and I'm in SIX LANES OF TRAFFIC!!!!! Half of that traffic just got off the 101 freeway that is 200 yards from my .. uh... door step. They've been sitting in a traffic jam for the last 30 minutes and they are ready to unleash!!!!!
It's not that I cant deal with the traffic it's just that it's a numbers game. There is never a time from 7:00 am till 8:00pm when the traffic is light. Every intersection, every parking lot, everywhere is full of people and cars. Since I've been back from my trip to " Bliss Hampshire" I've been more sensitive to this place. You always have to be on the defensive.
No offense ( really I mean that) but LIVING here is definatly different from stopping in for a visit. I'll go a few weeks with narry a whisper and then BOOM a couple of crack addicts will have a brawl out side my door. I got threatened and accosted a few weeks back by three of 'em! About every 8 weeks I see broken glass from windows on the street. Sometimes it's from my car(s).
We got a new hooker walking the street in the last month so " that" kind of traffic has picked up too. I came home from work at 5:00 in the morning a couple of weeks ago and some guy runs up to my car BEGGING for a ride to his " aunts" house that lives a mile away. He prevented me from getting out of my car untill I could desuade him into letting me leave. He was ' freaking" out or something.
I know I'm upsetting the astetic balence of my bus by putting bigger mirrors on it but it's inevitable that at some point, somebody's goona run into me or vandelize this thing . (actually they allredy have...) I dont wanna be that somebody. I have enough to be concerned about with out stressing about denting my bumper. Besides, I think those mirrors look kinda cool. Like a REAL bus!
It's not that I cant deal with the traffic it's just that it's a numbers game. There is never a time from 7:00 am till 8:00pm when the traffic is light. Every intersection, every parking lot, everywhere is full of people and cars. Since I've been back from my trip to " Bliss Hampshire" I've been more sensitive to this place. You always have to be on the defensive.
No offense ( really I mean that) but LIVING here is definatly different from stopping in for a visit. I'll go a few weeks with narry a whisper and then BOOM a couple of crack addicts will have a brawl out side my door. I got threatened and accosted a few weeks back by three of 'em! About every 8 weeks I see broken glass from windows on the street. Sometimes it's from my car(s).
We got a new hooker walking the street in the last month so " that" kind of traffic has picked up too. I came home from work at 5:00 in the morning a couple of weeks ago and some guy runs up to my car BEGGING for a ride to his " aunts" house that lives a mile away. He prevented me from getting out of my car untill I could desuade him into letting me leave. He was ' freaking" out or something.
I know I'm upsetting the astetic balence of my bus by putting bigger mirrors on it but it's inevitable that at some point, somebody's goona run into me or vandelize this thing . (actually they allredy have...) I dont wanna be that somebody. I have enough to be concerned about with out stressing about denting my bumper. Besides, I think those mirrors look kinda cool. Like a REAL bus!
-
bottomend
- Posts: 655
- Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:01 am
yea, I'm finished with LA. Actually, I never got started. It just has never been a place I've wanted to stay for any lenght of time. I used to travel ALOT. that helped me cope with what I see here. But I dont move around much these days and ...yuck.
I had to get a crazy lady out of the street tonight. She was delusional and she didn't know where she was. She lives NEXT DOOR!!!!!!!. This took place on my cornor 20 feet from my door. Her dog was yelping so I went out to see what was up and shes ' asleep ' in the street! STANDING UP!!! I was in my bus adjusting the carbs last night around midnight and she was "sleeping " while standing up on her front steps... Whatever.
I guess it's really starting to show, huh? theres no place like home, theres no place like home, theres no place like home.
I had to get a crazy lady out of the street tonight. She was delusional and she didn't know where she was. She lives NEXT DOOR!!!!!!!. This took place on my cornor 20 feet from my door. Her dog was yelping so I went out to see what was up and shes ' asleep ' in the street! STANDING UP!!! I was in my bus adjusting the carbs last night around midnight and she was "sleeping " while standing up on her front steps... Whatever.
I guess it's really starting to show, huh? theres no place like home, theres no place like home, theres no place like home.
- amskeptic
- Posts: 666
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:01 am
" And I'll tell you this, Maude, I have had enough of L.A. Why just last night when I was trying to get some sleep on my front steps, why this young man was out fiddling with his car at midnight! I never. . . . "bottomend wrote: I was in my bus adjusting the carbs last night around midnight and she was "sleeping " while standing up on her front steps....
Colin