disc brake conversions for splitties

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
mike dee

disc brake conversions for splitties

Post by mike dee »

:arrow: Any success stories and/or suggestions on what type of disc conversion works best for a 67 split? Thanks :twisted:
User avatar
PIOMAC
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:04 pm

Post by PIOMAC »

So Cal Imports has a bolt on kit for wide five disc brakes, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it on their bus.
right lane

Post by right lane »

:( I have a 67 that I want to convert to disk also. Here is the reply to me from So Cal Imports: "sorry, you have a type-2. The kit is for the type-1 only. We specialize only in type ones."
HELP !
User avatar
A_67vdub
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:01 am

Post by A_67vdub »

User avatar
84 IM Flier
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 84 IM Flier »

ErnieDV
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:01 am

Post by ErnieDV »

Here's another angle for you - pick up a copy of "How to Modify Volkswagen Bus Suspension, Brakes & Chassis for High Performance", by James Hale. ISBN 1-903706-14-9. The author says you can put the beam of a 68-69 Bus onto a Split-Screen, then change out the other parts to change from the drums to the disc brakes that came on older models. He's got lots of other tips as well and I've learned a lot by reading it.
User avatar
DudeAndHisBus
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by DudeAndHisBus »

There is a guy in the type4 forum that has done a 944 disc conversion on the front of his split. I could get you his e-mail if you'd like.
Pillow
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:01 am

Post by Pillow »

I am using the Old Speed kit and am very pleased with it.

Early 944 brakes up front using a bay MC with Wolfgang adaptor.

Soon to be 944 discs all around with 944 rear IRS arms using an Old Speed mounting kit. 944 MC and custom brake lines to replace the old metal ones. Super Beetle tranny with tall 3.88 R&P with single side cover case and Thing output flanges for T2 CVs. Custom SAW "longtravel" axles.

We will see what happens... Hope to have it done for Bulli Brigade in Tampa this November.
User avatar
panel
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 12:01 am

Post by panel »

A_67vdub wrote:Try Oldspeed:

http://www.oldspeed.com/parts.htm
I kinda copied that kit but am using 912 single disks,944 hubs,bus disk m/c and '73> van calipers and a custom caliper mount. I also went the '68 b/j route and was nice cause it's all stock but now I have the above set-up.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
FlatFourFanatic
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:01 am

Post by FlatFourFanatic »

Check this out,a posting on the Volkszone,possibly the UKs biggest chat/discussion/tech VW forum.


http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread ... adid=51957



I'm Rad Dubs and Englishmen BTW.and Bealzibus,the deluxe hardtop in my signature,is now running the kit,also 944 MC,soon to be added servo,and rear 944 discs.
Cheers Andy.
User avatar
PIOMAC
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:04 pm

Post by PIOMAC »

How much is that kit, that you are selling, in U.S. dollars? Never figured out the whole conversion thing.
FlatFourFanatic
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:01 am

Post by FlatFourFanatic »

Hi sorry for the delay,at the moment I have no plans to offer this kit anywhere other than the UK,it is made in small batchs,as and when I have enough orders.Current cost is £250 GBP,for comparison.
Post Reply