shifter diagnosis

The quintessential people and stuff mover.

Moderator: doc

DingoDog

shifter diagnosis

Post by DingoDog » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:40 pm

Trying to help a friend with a 75 Bus. It seems that he had trouble getting it into 1st, altho the others were available. Now he says reverse and 2nd are no longer available and its getting worse. Bus no longer driveable on the streets, obviously, but I would appreciate some pointers on what to start looking at, or tests i can do to get to the source of the problem....clutch ? shifter ? selectors ?

Dylan

DougRuss

Post by DougRuss » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:54 pm

amskeptic

Post by amskeptic » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:33 pm

I prefer the factory method of adjusting the stop plate.
Engage second gear (if your adjustment is so botched that you can't select second, loosen shifter housing and tap stop plate towards the right side of the vehicle, pull gearshifter straight down, test by starting engine and letting out clutch a little to see which way car wants to go, grab the gear that has some pull to it in the forward direction, that'll be your second gear, shut off engine)
Wiggle the mushy mess so that the gear shifter is sticking up straight at the base before it takes its tilt towards the driver's seat. That is your side-to-side adjustment. Now gently move the shifter fore and aft until you have just a little play in the second gear detent in both the forward and backward ditrection. Now grab a flat-bladed screwdriver and push the right side of the stop plate towards the left side of the car. No taps, or you will narrow your 1rst/2nd gate too skinny. This will set your reverse lockout perfectly. Tighten 13mm bolts and test drive.
Colin

DingoBus

Post by DingoBus » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:29 pm

Thanks Much....will give it a whirl.

Dylan

DingoBus

Post by DingoBus » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:56 pm

Tried all three of the above procedures...and ended up with 1,2,3,4 in good shape...but three hours of adjusting and re-adjusting and could never find reverse gear.....it feels like 2nd gear every time.....any ideas ???

raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:17 pm

What is the condition of : (1) the shift gate plate itself...and is it installed in the corect direction...thats the plate under the shifter that guides the rod. (2) what is the conditionj of the front shift rod bushing? Has it been replaced? (3) what is the condition of the rear shift linkage coupler betweeen the shift rod and the tail cone on the tranny. If any of these are not good....this can happen . Ray

amskeptic

Post by amskeptic » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:29 pm

You want to remove all axial play in the shift linkage. If you cannot find reverse after ensuring that the stop plate has the cutout ramp on the right side, and you are *pushing down* sufficiently ( it's about 3/8" straight down on the shifter to get it to go over to the reverse gate)
on the shifter to get the shoulder under the cutout ramp as you engage reverse, you may have a hockey stick or interlock problem in the nose cone of the transmission itself.
I would experiment first. Secure all shift rod bolts, the 13mm deals with the wire ties. Crush the coupler both sides just a tad with vise grips to remove any side-to-side slop. If first/second engage nicely, and if third/fourth engage nicely, remove the cover plate under the front end and LOOK at the shifter stick from underneath. Have your garage boy *press down* on the shifter and watch the shoulder of the shifter stick go under the stop plate ramp on the right side. Does it? While you are there, there is a bushing where the front shift rod is supported just in front of where the stick goes into it. Is it loose/sloppy? Replace it.
Get your vise grips and rotate the shifter rod in the same direction as the engine rotates, i.e. clockwise as you face towards the front bumper, i.e. pull the vise grips from the right tire to the left tire as it hangs down from the shift rod. While you do this have boy push down on the shifter and pull the shifter all the way left and back. This will make the shift rod under the car jerk forward, so be sure your vise grip position allows this movement. Get out from under car. Start it with left foot on the clutch. Let out clutch a bit. Car go backwards? Good. Get on the Optimizing The Shifter Assembly program.
Car go forward? You got problems. Internal transmission most likely. It is a Rube Goldberg contraption inside the transmission. Personally, I think you guys don't know that an aircooled VW requires that you *push down* on the gearshift, then go left and back. That's what I think.
Colin

DingoBus

Post by DingoBus » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:19 am

Cool...thanks for the info. I know reverse is available, since it was the reliable one prior to the surgery. But what you guys say makes sense, so Im gonna dig into it.

I may be way off the mark on this,... but do the washers/spacers on the two adjuster-bolts have any bearing on the height of the plate and ramp ??

(Yes, I DO have the ramp on the right-hand side)

amskeptic

Post by amskeptic » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:28 pm

They should have no bearing on the dimensions of the shifter to stop plate. The shifter, as you well know by now, is spring-load compressed by the housing as it bolts down. There should be no washers under the housing or under the stop plate. Any washers above the housing are irrelevant.
Colin