Hey Jake
-
general_lee_jr
- Posts: 1811
- Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:01 am
Hey Jake
Went to the Athens meet today Jake and saw a 1776 that you built a while back. It was a single port and had a 30 pict on it with a breather box on the oil filler. I was just trying to figure out why. Is that a motor that will last forever? Dont take any of this the wrong way. I just want to know why. I thought it was cool but just could not figure it out. Great looking motor and the guy takes excellent care of it and said it will last forever. Thanks
------------------
http://vdub.8m.com
------------------
http://vdub.8m.com
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Hey Jake
Single port engines rule for longevity and torque....I built that engine 5 years ago..
Just because you don't see it in a magazine, don't sell it short...
Just because you don't see it in a magazine, don't sell it short...
-
general_lee_jr
- Posts: 1811
- Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:01 am
Hey Jake
Im not selling it short. I had just never seen something like that. I guess since its been five years and still vdubbing it must be a good motor. Thanks.
------------------
http://vdub.8m.com
------------------
http://vdub.8m.com
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Hey Jake
five years and not touched....just a carb synch and valve adjustment.
-
general_lee_jr
- Posts: 1811
- Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:01 am
Hey Jake
Its all I can do to go 5 miles without something going wrong. I guess their is too much crap floating around that has been burned into my brain as being the norm. Getting better as I go. But thanks for all your imput, it makes me think twice before doing stuff.
------------------
http://vdub.8m.com
------------------
http://vdub.8m.com
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Hey Jake
When I was your age, my trunk was filled with spare parts, everything I did broke...I slowly overcame it....you will too.
-
wallacelee
- Posts: 209
- Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2001 12:01 am
Hey Jake
any reasons why single port engines rule for longetivity? why can't dual port achieve the same thing?
i have no experience with single port 1600, but i have a friend who has been running a stock single port 1200 in a 1972 bug, which was last rebuilt in 1988. motor was not touched except for oil changes and the usual tune ups like ignition, valve adjustments etc. starts instantly everytime. i don't think it has been overeevved much, but i am sure it has covered a very high mileage. it is driven 7 days a week...to and fro work 62 miles used as a banger to run around.
i have no experience with single port 1600, but i have a friend who has been running a stock single port 1200 in a 1972 bug, which was last rebuilt in 1988. motor was not touched except for oil changes and the usual tune ups like ignition, valve adjustments etc. starts instantly everytime. i don't think it has been overeevved much, but i am sure it has covered a very high mileage. it is driven 7 days a week...to and fro work 62 miles used as a banger to run around.
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Hey Jake
When Vw swapped to the dual port head, the main casting did not change. The casting was weakend by the intake port taking beef from behind the combustion chambers....
I even build big valve single port engines, they are awesome, just not high revvers!
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
"If it ain't fast enough, call me!"
www.aircooledtechnology.com
I even build big valve single port engines, they are awesome, just not high revvers!
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
"If it ain't fast enough, call me!"
www.aircooledtechnology.com
-
mykarmann69
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
Hey Jake
I'm interested in hearing feedback on a 1776 single port. I am considering building a 1776 for my KG and I've got a number of good single port heads around so I'd be closer to driving going the sp route. I could always switch to a DP sometime down the road if I desired. I just need to build a bottom end which would be compatible with sp or dp or stock carb or dual carbs yadayada...
Still dreaming it all up, Marcus
Still dreaming it all up, Marcus
- Here To Go
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:01 am
Hey Jake
Jake,
How do you manage the width aspect with the single port manifold? Semi-hemi chambers or just leave it high compression? I'm curious about this for future reference.
Or, does it not make any difference?
Thanks,
Everett
'66 Westy SO-44
How do you manage the width aspect with the single port manifold? Semi-hemi chambers or just leave it high compression? I'm curious about this for future reference.
Or, does it not make any difference?
Thanks,
Everett
'66 Westy SO-44
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
Hey Jake
Hi Everett,
Don't even suggest that Jake might use hemicut heads. He might have to hunt you down and kill you
You either make the stock manifold narrower or wider as req'd or use the aftermarket aluminum endcastings made to fit SP heads and a DP centersection.
Don't even suggest that Jake might use hemicut heads. He might have to hunt you down and kill you

You either make the stock manifold narrower or wider as req'd or use the aftermarket aluminum endcastings made to fit SP heads and a DP centersection.
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Hey Jake
CR:
Bump it up, here it thump-Haul *** !
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
"If it ain't fast enough, call me!"
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Bump it up, here it thump-Haul *** !
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
"If it ain't fast enough, call me!"
www.aircooledtechnology.com
-
general_lee_jr
- Posts: 1811
- Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:01 am
Hey Jake
Jake, Is 8 or 9 to 1 too much for CR for a daily driver? If I wanted to achieve say 7.9:1 CR what would the deck height have to be set up if the rods were stock, 90.5 A's pistons and cylinders and heads that have not been flycut? Or how many cc's would their have to be or how much would you charge to do it? Thanks,
Getting close, very very close to general_lee_jr maiden voyage.
------------------
http://vdub.8m.com
Getting close, very very close to general_lee_jr maiden voyage.
------------------
http://vdub.8m.com
- Here To Go
- Posts: 32
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:01 am
Hey Jake
The machine shop guys I do work with say,
"Run 'em thin, to win!"
On the other hand, they don't drive old buses, either.
How about "Run 'em conservative, for long life!"
Everett
"Run 'em thin, to win!"
On the other hand, they don't drive old buses, either.
How about "Run 'em conservative, for long life!"
Everett