Shoptalkforums.com

For Your Air Cooled Pleasure!
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternator Conversion Wiring
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:33 pm 

I have a Sandrail and while installing a new motor I decided to throw out the generator and replace it with an alternator... But how do I wire the freaking thing? at the (old) regulator I have all the old wires still in place... which ones do I retain and where do I hook 'em up? what wires go to/from the alternator?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:39 pm 

See ->> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/alternatorwiring.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:16 pm 

Great!... Thanks... but do I HAVE to have a light or buzzer in the circuit?... what will happen if I don't? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vicsvw:
See ->> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/alternatorwiring.htm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:51 pm 

It wont charge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:58 pm 

Ok... so what kinda light?... just any old generic light? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bajabuger:
It wont charge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:59 pm 

Frankly I don't know if a buzzer will fulfill the "other" function of the light bulb, which is to provide the initial field flash to get it started charging when it's been inactive for a long time (like a week or two)...the aluminum housing doesn't retain much residual magnetism like a generator does. Suppose it would depend upon the buzzer; if it didn't work for this, a lamp in parallel would.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:46 pm 

We would strongly recommend the buzzer as many a buggy motor has been shot because some one didn't notice the light. After about 60 seconds you will here the buzzer over 2 or 3 open ex. We always ran buzzer and light because some people would put a buzzer on a push button and when running side by side you couldn't tell if it was yours are the car besides you. Once you let up you knew you been had. See ->> http://1800vw.bizhosting.com/buzzer_warning_7_95.html these are pretty loud but about any buzzer will work. Vic.
Good seat belts w/shoulder straps, good gas tank and mounting with one way cap and the battery mounted down metal to metal. Are all must have on a buggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:03 am 

Thanks that's really good advice... however, I have ONE other problem, on the wiring diagram it shows the wire from the starter being connected to "B+" which is the terminal closest to the fan housing, with "D+" being closer to the belt... well not so on my alternator it's a Bosch AL82N and the terminals are identified opposite... so do I go by the wiring diagram and hook the wire from the starter to the rear terminal which in my case would be the "D+" or connect it to the "B+" which is closer to the belt? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vicsvw:
<B>We would strongly recommend the buzzer as many a buggy motor has been shot because some one didn't notice the light. After about 60 seconds you will here the buzzer over 2 or 3 open ex. We always ran buzzer and light because some people would put a buzzer on a push button and when running side by side you couldn't tell if it was yours are the car besides you. Once you let up you knew you been had. See ->> http://1800vw.bizhosting.com/buzzer_warning_7_95.html these are pretty loud but about any buzzer will work. Vic.
Good seat belts w/shoulder straps, good gas tank and mounting with one way cap and the battery mounted down metal to metal. Are all must have on a buggy</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>