shifters

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.

Moderator: Piledriver

hargray2

shifters

Post by hargray2 » Sun Jun 03, 2001 4:51 pm

My stock shifter in my '71 is broken. The area around the ball at the base of the lever
is split. The "PO" had put a hose clamp around it to keep it tight and hid it under the shift boot. In one of the latest VW mags
there is a ghia with a 914 tranny
using the stock ghia shifter. Does anyone
know if that 4-speed ghia shifter works well
with the 5-speed tranny? If I made an adapter
to bolt it up, does anyone think one of the
aftermarket shifters for the ghia work in my
914? It would be extremely nice to have the
reverse lockout so I would stop banging into
reverse!! I know all about replacing shift bushings and all of that, I just really want
a way to stop hitting reverse for sure!!

stevestromberg

shifters

Post by stevestromberg » Sun Jun 03, 2001 10:08 pm

I have one from a 72 that I converted to sideshift $40 plus shipping. Steve

hargray2

shifters

Post by hargray2 » Mon Jun 04, 2001 7:02 pm

Steve, What did you do to make the shifter work? Could I modify one to work on my tail-shift? Did this mod eliminate banging into reverse instead of 2nd? The beetle and
ghia shifters are the same unit, right?

Roland Kunz

shifters

Post by Roland Kunz » Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:17 pm

Hello

VW shifters will not fit in 911 and 914 ( OK some people can make everything work )

Your broken part can be welded for some additional years. But broken shifter tells much about the last user.

Converting to sideshifter needs a trany and the shifting linkage. Also the engine carrier is in the way.

End shifter can be made for good work but will still have the slopy feeling.

If you hit reverse in upshift your shifting rod has to be adjustet. There is a acceshole under the middletray and a hole behind the driverseat. the hole is to get a 13mm nut on a extension and wrench onto the clampbolt.

Renew the bushings and check the spring loaded shifter base plates for wear.

Grüsse

stevestromberg

shifters

Post by stevestromberg » Tue Jun 05, 2001 9:21 pm

It is a stock tail shift shifter from a 72. Steve

Aircooled_vw

shifters

Post by Aircooled_vw » Tue Jun 05, 2001 9:26 pm

hargray2, which VW mag has a Ghia with a 914 tranny? I am very interested in this swap but hadn't figured out how to do it without butchering the 914 tranny. I'd love to see this as I have a subscription to both VW Trends and Hot VWs... And a few IRS Type Is that could really use a 5-speed.

Rick

hargray2

shifters

Post by hargray2 » Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:36 am

I realize the vw shifter will not bolt up in a 914. What I need to know is if the vw shifter would work if i made an adapter plate, (4-speed shifter shifting a 5-speed). I really would like to have the push-
button reverse in my 914. I am not sure which
mag the ghia was in. I'll reply back later with the answer when i get home.

[This message has been edited by hargray2 (edited 06-06-2001).]

Steve Arndt

shifters

Post by Steve Arndt » Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:26 am

It was ghia done by competition engineering in Phoenix. And they converted it to 911 nose cone and shifting.
I am doing this conversion now.
I have some links to more from my website. I'm writing an article now that will detail it with lots of pictures and explanation. www.arndtkafertuning.com
The site sucks for now, but hang on.
Steve

Bruce M

shifters

Post by Bruce M » Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:18 pm

There was also a blue Ghia in Volksworld recently that used a 914 trans. It was a German car , part of the G Files articles.
No useful pics or descriptions though.

Roland Kunz

shifters

Post by Roland Kunz » Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:22 pm

Hello

Surf for Porsche Salzburg rally beetle.They where the first in 1970. Then some tuners followed.

The 914 housing has two flat spots on the bellhouse. Those are used in the rear trany mount. You only need to drill the holes for the stock unit.

The frontend has the 911 cone and you need some detailwork ( Cuting and bending in the upper area maybe a big hammer will work to ) to clear that end. Then you make a suportplate with rubbermount that fit the original mounts. Shifter is mixed with 911 and 915 parts you have to male two new holes to bolt down the unit.

Clutchcable gets new tube end and a reinforcement brace.

If you dont like constructing shop the parts from a german tuner like Tafel, Riechert, CSP, Beetlechoose, Willibald ( Oh forgot in the staates ) or Holzapfel. To much to list this swap was done so much times. Some adoptet 915 or G 50 units.

One guy around here is going to transplant the new 996 6 speed in. ZF is going to make a new nosecone and shifterods for him. ( Very simple is outsideshifter )

Grüsse