v8 into a bug

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
cj011

v8 into a bug

Post by cj011 »

does anyone know of any websites that delves into the topic of putting a v8 into a bug. what all would have to be done as far as mounts and so forth
James2

v8 into a bug

Post by James2 »

Why would you want to slow it down like that??? Every V8 bug I've seen could only run 12-13 sec 1/4 miles.

BTW, why not go find a cheby or Ford with a V8 in it. Novel idea I know, but you can actually buy american cars with american V8 in them!!!!!

And before you say you want to be different by installing a V8 in bug, well it's been done. And your friend will be far more impressed with a haul ass VW powered VW then a V8 powered VW.

But do what you wish.
Jim Molloy

v8 into a bug

Post by Jim Molloy »

Tell us James2 just what kind of air cooled
VW do you have and how fast is it in the quarter mile ?
cj011

v8 into a bug

Post by cj011 »

hey thanks guys for the replies, but i am looking for something that the engine is mounted in the front.

-James2, are you the same person who posted before about how conversions are a complete waste and so forth. if this is the same person, if you have that attitude, then why keep visiting the forum. the reasoing behind this is on a fast street bug you will spend 2 grand in a blink of an eye for a serious motor and probally closer to 5 plus for motor and tranny. for under three i am positive that i can twin turbo a 350 through a holley with nos, now that is power, i will be the first to say, that i love vw and there motor, but i have been down that route, 12.1 quarter mile with nos 1776, and it was way to expensive and unreliable. in the future i will still build vw motors, but i am looking for a odd project. so please keep close minded opinions somewhere else, anyone can make wise remarks.
DjMatio

v8 into a bug

Post by DjMatio »

Kennedy Engineering has adapter plates for almost any engine to fit a VW tranny.
http://www.kennedyeng.com/
Crash

v8 into a bug

Post by Crash »

Here is one for you
http://www.wsu.edu/~426hemi/

-Mark

------------------
Blind Chicken Racing
www.blindchickenracing.com
James2

v8 into a bug

Post by James2 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cj011:
<B>hey thanks guys for the replies, but i am looking for something that the engine is mounted in the front.

-James2, are you the same person who posted before about how conversions are a complete waste and so forth. if this is the same person, if you have that attitude, then why keep visiting the forum. the reasoing behind this is on a fast street bug you will spend 2 grand in a blink of an eye for a serious motor and probally closer to 5 plus for motor and tranny. for under three i am positive that i can twin turbo a 350 through a holley with nos, now that is power, i will be the first to say, that i love vw and there motor, but i have been down that route, 12.1 quarter mile with nos 1776, and it was way to expensive and unreliable. in the future i will still build vw motors, but i am looking for a odd project. so please keep close minded opinions somewhere else, anyone can make wise remarks. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just keep building you bastard little POS. Can't think of a better way to loose money. Have fun Image
cj011

v8 into a bug

Post by cj011 »

james, this is the last time that i will bother responding to you, plain and simple. your response proves exactly what i thought that your would say, a low brow insulting comment towards another vw hobbier. the vw scene does not need unsupportive, negative and insulting minds. to have a different opinion is good for all, i will first say, but to differ in an insulting demeaning manner, shows the true spirit of an individual. enough said, you proved me right, thanks.
goatmaster187

v8 into a bug

Post by goatmaster187 »

Come on people play nice. To do a front engine V8 into a Bug requires quite a bit of fabrication and tinkering to get it just right. A tube frame front end comes to mind, as well as A-arm front suspension. Personally I think that a front engined Bug would be better served by a healthy four or six cylinder. Perhaps a Ford 2.3l turbo, or an aluminum block V6 like a Nissan 3.0l or maybe a Honda V-tec if you can figure out what tranny to use. A lot of work but probably worth while. I am working on a swap involving a Subaru turbo 1.8l into a 65' Bug. With a few modifications I should be able to get into the 150hp realm, which should make for a good time.
Happy Boostin'
Austin
Se7en

v8 into a bug

Post by Se7en »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James2:
<B>Why would you want to slow it down like that??? Every V8 bug I've seen could only run 12-13 sec 1/4 miles.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
</B>

Did anyone say anything about racing in the quarter? Could he perhaps want something with a higher top speed, maybe for a daily driver? Or perhaps he/she simply doesn't want to drop several thousand into a high performance VW engine?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
<B>
BTW, why not go find a cheby or Ford with a V8 in it. Novel idea I know, but you can actually buy american cars with american V8 in them!!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
</B>

I doubt that's going to happen. The basic idea behind putting a V8 in a bug is to have a V8 in a bug. Obviously, the main attraction there is the bug, not what's pushing it. If he really just wanted something with a V8 in it, he woulnd't be looking at a VW to start with.

<B>
And before you say you want to be different by installing a V8 in bug, well it's been done. And your friend will be far more impressed with a haul ass VW powered VW then a V8 powered VW.
</B>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's been done before. If it hadn't, he wouldn't have come here asking for information on how to do it.

Who's to say he simply wants to be "different"? He may just want to do it for no other reason than just to do it. Enjoyment for the person doing the conversion doesn't play a factor?

<B>
But do what you wish.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! It's his car, his money, and his time. He came here asking for information on how the conversion is done, not color commentary as to whether or not he should do it (or if a VW will beat him in the quarter). If you felt this was a bad idea for whatever reason, you should have presented it in a little more mature manner. It could also help to base these reasons on things like damage to the transaxle or suspension, not the impression it will make on someones friend or your interest in Chevy and Ford V8s.

<B>
Just keep building you bastard little POS. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
</B>

Have you seen his project? No? Then it's only safe to assume you know nothing about it, let alone if it's a "bastard little POS". Or is it that it has/will have a V8 in it? That's basically putting anything with a V8 in your interesting dimwitted category.

<B>
Can't think of a better way to loose money.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
</B>

You obviously can't think of a better way to spell "lose", either.

Building a high performance aircooled engine will cost much more than dropping in a V8. On top of that, a V8 powered bug will generate a higher resale than that same high-end bug.
crack monkey@work

v8 into a bug

Post by crack monkey@work »

www.prostreetbug.com

they build v8 chassis for bugs and i think you can get the plans.... there is another but i don't have it with me. i will post it when i get home tonight.
Se7en

v8 into a bug

Post by Se7en »

http://www.butterick.co.uk/

While the paint could be considered a sin (in my opinion), it's still a good example.

The easiest way is to keep the rear engine design, as opposed to a mid or front setup.

An adapter plate and flywheel can be purchased from both KEP (www.kennedyeng.com) and Hecker (www.heckermachine.com). While I don't know about Hecker, I know that KEP will do custom adapters if they don't have what you need.

With these, you can mate the engine right up to a VW transaxle. You may want to use a Type 2, Porchse, or just beefed up Type 1 transaxle to handle the added power. But, depending on how you drive it, the stock tranny may hold up for a good while.

With the added weight, you will most likely need to beef up the rear suspension in some way. You could prelode the torsions a little more, or you could add shocks to each side. You could possibly replace the rear shocks with a set of coil overs. That may be enough in itself. But, the need (if any) for a beefed suspension will depend on the weight of whatever engine you decide on.

The radiator will take some thought. Many put a radiator and electric fan in place of the spare tire. Then, they run long tubing to the rear. On Bajas, a radiator mounted above the engine in a spoiler-type mount (also using an electronic fan) is the usual. There are many different ways to do the radiator; some have been done, others haven't even been thought of yet. It's up to you.

It will take a bit of work (and cutting) to fit everything under the deck lid, depending on what engine you use. A Baja-style rear will be easier, if you're doing the conversion on a Baja, that is.

Those are just a few basic things you'll end up doing/needing. Each conversion will have different and unseen costs or work needed. There will also be all the little things that need to be done that you won't think of until the time comes.

Good luck.
bradleygt

v8 into a bug

Post by bradleygt »

i know this is not the eng.you want,but a friend of mine in elk groove has a gyrocopter with a 1800 subura,with turbo charger.gets 135 horsepower out of it.lot of power for a gyro copter.probly the cheapest 135hp you can get.
James2

v8 into a bug

Post by James2 »

Yawn
goatmaster187

v8 into a bug

Post by goatmaster187 »

I'm interested in how you set your ride up with the Quaife 6. If you have pics that would be great.