shift rod rebuild

The quintessential people and stuff mover.

Moderator: doc

westy78

shift rod rebuild

Post by westy78 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:01 am

Well its time to rebuild my shift rod in my 78 Westy. Looking in the Bently it says that the rear coupler cant be accessed without dropping the trany. Is this the case or is there a way around it? Im also interested in maybe getting a Berg shift kit. Anyone know the prices on these things?

Thanks
Jasan

amskeptic

shift rod rebuild

Post by amskeptic » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:23 pm

Read your Bentley again, the shift rod bushing cannot be accessed without pulling trans, but the coupler is a snap, shift into fourth, remove 13mm setscrew, shift into third, back into fourth, and it's free. Then remove your 11mm self-tapping bolt on the side plate while holding the other side with a pair of pliers, and the whole thing drops on your nose. In pieces.
Colin

westy78

shift rod rebuild

Post by westy78 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by amskeptic:
<B>Read your Bentley again, the shift rod bushing cannot be accessed without pulling trans, but the coupler is a snap, shift into fourth, remove 13mm setscrew, shift into third, back into fourth, and it's free. Then remove your 11mm self-tapping bolt on the side plate while holding the other side with a pair of pliers, and the whole thing drops on your nose. In pieces.
Colin</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colin

I went back and read again. I dont know where I saw that about the coupling. Must have been late. It says that you can't remove the rear shift rod. So, my next question is will not replacing the two rear nylon bushings and only replacing the coupling return my shifting somewhat back to stock feel? What about the coupling between the front and rear shift rods? Will that need to be changed also? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help
Jasan

germansupplyscott

shift rod rebuild

Post by germansupplyscott » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:12 pm

jasan,

rebuild your linkage first. then, i highly recommend the berg shifter. they cost a fortune, but they are worth it. much longer than stock so it is easier to reach, stiffer so it doesn't flex. better reverse lock-out. worth every penny.

scott lyons

westy78

shift rod rebuild

Post by westy78 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:16 pm

Scott

A Berg shifter is one of my next upgrades after new heater boxes. Dont you have one on your bus? How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking? I have looked on Berg's site but didnt see any prices.

Thanks
Jasan

germansupplyscott

shift rod rebuild

Post by germansupplyscott » Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:09 pm

i have a berg shifter.

i think it cost 180.00. phone them and ask them to send you a catalog.

scott lyons