Using early 1-bulb tail lights with late wiring?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Crawdad

Using early 1-bulb tail lights with late wiring?

Post by Crawdad »

I have a nice set of early, beehive tail lights that I would like to use on a Beetle that I am wiring as a 73. The early (up to '61) tail lights have a single bulb with a dual filament. one filament serves as the tail light, the other does double duty as a turn signal and stop light. the later wiring separates these three functions. if I simply join the turn signal Circuit and brake light circuit in parallel, I predict that when I hit the brakes, the front turn signals will come on, and when I turn on the turn signals, BOTH rear turn signal/brake lights will flash ( because they are joined together as brake lights that are supposed to come on together). my question is, can I get around this problem by putting a diode on the brake circuit and another diode on the turn signal Circuit, as a way of isolating them?
I don't suppose this matters, but I will be using an LED tail light conversion, which preserves the early grouping of functions into tail/brake-turn.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/12-Volt-LE ... 1&CartID=1
Chip Birks

Re: Using early 1-bulb tail lights with late wiring?

Post by Chip Birks »

Did you already buy the LEDs? If not, DON'T, I have a better solution for your than that set provides. I build them for aircooled.net, so I can say that :D
The solution I offer has 3 circuits and will wire up directly to your car. You'll need to figure out what to do with the reverse lights though.
Crawdad

Post by Crawdad »

Excellent! So glad to learn you've got a 3-circuit option. I'll PM you.
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Man Chip I didn't know you did that! Are they the only ones available on ac.n or is this something you can post any info on
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

V8Nate wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:52 am Man Chip I didn't know you did that! Are they the only ones available on ac.n or is this something you can post any info on
I actually sell them on thesamba, but aircooled.net is local to me, and good friends. They offer a nice in stock alternative to my build to order norm. They stock my high runners, but not the oddball stuff like Mr. Crawdad is looking for. What info would you like? I offer Bug lights from 52-67, Bus from 57-71. Prices range from $100-145ish for the lights depending on model and options requested. I build them all personally. The circuit boards are real PCB that I design and have manufactured. I've been building and selling them since 2009. I'm happy to answer any questions, either in this spot, or via pm.
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

I'll be damned I didn't even remember but I have an older diy kit from you:) ill have to pick up a pre-made set from you one of these days. These are from like 2013ish and a couple of the led's are out. It was fun to put together my first time soldering anything to a board. I had less money then and ill gladly pay for assembled units next time.lol these are in my 66 and I used the led trailer wiring adapter and 2 flashers to get rid of the stock 6v turn+hazard relayImageImage
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

V8Nate wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:07 am I'll be damned I didn't even remember but I have an older diy kit from you:) ill have to pick up a pre-made set from you one of these days. These are from like 2013ish and a couple of the led's are out. It was fun to put together my first time soldering anything to a board. I had less money then and ill gladly pay for assembled units next time.lol these are in my 66 and I used the led trailer wiring adapter and 2 flashers to get rid of the stock 6v turn+hazard relayImageImage
You are one of the few brave ones who took me up on that project. Very nice! I'll happily send you a few LEDs if you would like. I don't use the flat ones anymore, but the new ones are the same height and look pretty much the same. Tell me how many you need of tall and short and we can get them back in proper working order. The new ones are fancier, no more panel of resistors, rather a small power supply is used now. They do a better job of handling the fluctuations that these 50 year old charging systems provide.
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Awesome! I'll let you know when I get to that project(I have far too many irons in the fire at this point in time.lol) honestly I'll probably end up buying a complete set because if I remember correctly I put shoe goo or something like that on the back side of the board to "seal" it so it wouldn't possibly corrode. It was definitely a fun project to learn with and from what I remember the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. I've been asked quite a few times how I've gotten my snowflakes so bright and I tell em they are an led kit off the samba so hopefully that brought you some more business:)
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Something like this works...

https://www.signaldynamics.com/01006
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"