Porsche 914 Wheels

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
mountainkowboy

Porsche 914 Wheels

Post by mountainkowboy »

So are 914 wheels any different than bug wheels? I mean is the offset any different?
71 Ghia Coupe........For Sale
71 Super-Beetle Convertible.....returning to DD status
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Marc

Re: Porsche 914 Wheels

Post by Marc »

914 Porsche rims are 5½" wide and ET40.
VW made both 4½" and 5½" wide "Sports" wheels in the `70s which have the same spoked center as the steel 914 rims; the slots are coined slightly differently at the edges but are very close to the Porsche (close enough that most people wouldn't notice).
5½" ET40 will NOT fit the front of a 1302 Super with stock-diameter coil springs (unless spacers are employed) - they require the 5½" ET26 or the 4½" ET34. With smaller-diameter springs, the 5½" ET34, 4½" ET41, or possibly even the Porsche 5½" ET40 should fit.

If you're thinking of the alloy "2-liter" Porsche rim, I don't know the offset (ET number) off the top of my head but it's probably close to the ET40 of the steel rims. There are aftermarket repops (EMPI) which may have less backspace than the genuine Porsche - I've seen the backspace of the EMPIs claimed as 3.7" and 4", while the stock Porsche is more like 4½" or 4¾".
This is the "Fuchs" 4-lug, I believe that the Mahles and Pedrinis had the same offset. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... _types.htm

I once had a set of the 914 steel rims on a Squareback, where they fit nicely with no spacers. I used aftermarket trim rings on them like this:

Attached file shows the four stock VW Sports wheels:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

914 rims also include the "Mahles" and the Pedrinis, both are ET35-40 range in 5.5"
Smaller front springs and some bump stop shaving out back, and or spacers.
(at 50 feet it's hard to see the difference between the Mahles and Pedrinis)

Those and the stock 4.5s IIRC had a bit more offset that the std Bug version, probably same as supers.

The factory alloys are nice pressure die castings.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

A set of 5.5" wheels & tires we put together awhile back that I refinished...ET26 Sport Bug rims w/reverse centers, and the 914 ET40's. Ended up using ~8mm spacers on a stock-ish '69 to make the Sport Beetle rims effectively ET18...to essentially achieve what the tuner kids now called 'stanced' on back :|
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/ ... 010021.jpg
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

And there even 4 X 130 pattern.............HMMMMMMMM
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Marc wrote:Image
This is the "Fuchs" 4-lug
I believe those are also ET40 wheels from what I can find. However Empi make a copy of that wheel in a 15x5.5-ET35, in either all chrome or the standard black/chrome. I'm REALLY kinda liking the "vintage" look of these on bugs that I've seen. (I've been trying to figure out what wheel to go with) The more I look at the Honda wheels that I have the less I like them, still in the air though.

A TOTAL 70's throwback with a modern flair......eh....eh...you feel me? Pop-outs, maybe a ragtop..........
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Marc

Post by Marc »

ET35 is nearly the same as the ET34 Sports wheel used on the late Supers - depending upon the tire used, they may not give enough sidewall clearance to a stock-diameter spring on a 1302 without a ~¼" spacer. No sweat if you go with the Top Line springs though.