wheel studs

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
awhitecat

wheel studs

Post by awhitecat »

when i take my rear wheels off or put them on, i often have trouble holding them in position whilst undoing or doing up the studs.

i remember at shows years ago, seeing a stud for sale that had no hex head on, that you could screw in first, then hang the wheel on whilst putting the real studs on the other holes. does anybody know if they are still sold? does anybody know the technical description of the gauge/pitch etc of a vw wheel stud if i was to ask a machine shop to turn one of these?
thanks for your help.
david58

Post by david58 »

There is some great info in this thread about doing it the right way, using press in studs.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=113563
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

David58bug, are you saying the stud required is M14? what does that mean? is it 14 mm gauge? maybe i'll take one of my studs down the fastener supply place here in england and see what they've got.

but what i want is a threaded piece with a plain end to hang the wheel on. i'm happy enough with the existing studs, it's just that i find it heavy and awkward puttin the wheel up in place to put the first couple on.

thanks for the help anyway.
david58

Post by david58 »

awhitecat wrote:David58bug, are you saying the stud required is M14? what does that mean? is it 14 mm gauge? maybe i'll take one of my studs down the fastener supply place here in england and see what they've got.

but what i want is a threaded piece with a plain end to hang the wheel on. i'm happy enough with the existing studs, it's just that i find it heavy and awkward puttin the wheel up in place to put the first couple on.

thanks for the help anyway.
It slipped by me that we were talking about upgrading to 14 mm studs in that thread. :oops: You can do the same thing with 12 mm studs.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
awhitecat

thread size?

Post by awhitecat »

so the studs are M12?
david58

Post by david58 »

I am pretty sure I'll measure one, and check the pitch on the threads too.
Ok they are 12 x 1.5
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The 4 lugs are 14mm, but the press-in studs are a great idea anyway, from a safety standpoint.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
david58

Post by david58 »

Thanks Piledriver I measured my wide 5