What Do Wire Abbreviations Mean - by rickosuave1987

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

What Do Wire Abbreviations Mean - by rickosuave1987

Post by MNAirHead »

rickosuave1987 wrote:
DesertGuy wrote:
MNAirHead wrote:is there an easy way to tell what all the wire abbreviations mean?

Timmy

Rin Tim-Tim:

Me No Se :oops: Once again, I ass-u-me that the XL in SXL, GXL, TXL may mean Cross Link wire. When I was researching the different kits like Painless Wiring, American Auto-Wire, Centech, Kwik-Wire, etc... they said all of their kits were made with the SXL wire... So, that was the consensus that I went with. And when I saw that the temp rating was significantly higher than Primary Wire... I was sold.
The abbr. stand for what the sheating is made out of and what it does.

THW--Thermoplastic Heat and Water Resistant

THHN--Thermoplastic High Heat Resistant Nylon

Im not sure on the SXL wire. We dont use that for wiring buildings :wink:
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

After some research, I found out that SXL wire is--Standard Wall Cross Link sheathing.

GXL is Thin Wall Cross Link sheathing.

Both can withstand higher temps than THW or THHN primary wire, and are used mainly for automotive applications.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

thank you.. this (abbreviations) are confusing to those of us learning.

T.
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

Tim any standard electrical code book should have the descriptions of most wiring jacket names in it
Post Reply