I need pedal assembly/brake pedal help type 1 1970 bug

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
whalejetwrench

I need pedal assembly/brake pedal help type 1 1970 bug

Post by whalejetwrench »

Ok here it goes, I replaced all the brake plumbing, master and slave cylinders, and all other braking components except backing plates on my 1970 baja bug, now, I have reasonably bled and adjusted all the brakes, the pedal and brakes felt ok(for drums), but the brake pedal will not stand up straight!, I mean it actually lays completly aft and on the floor pan????? I believe the return spring is installed correctly, (hook facing aft, and catch side of spring forced against the floor in front of pedal), it is like the master cylinder push rod shoves the pedal and the spring drives it to the floor( the pan floor, not the firewall) the pedal assembly is brand new and I guess it's built correctly, so what the crap am I doing wrong? help, help, help! :?
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

There should be a 'backwards' travel stop on the floorpan, forward of the base of the brake pedal. That stops the pedal from falling back towards the rear of the car. The spring is probably working right, pushing the pedal away from the 'firewall'.

Some travel stop tabs are welded on, some are bolted onto the floorpan. I forget if they are adjustable or not.

Sorry I don't have a picture at hand, the best I have is a pic of my self made adjustable travel stop:
http://www.geocities.com/janbugger/68vert.html

that's approximately where the stock stopper is.

The same travel stop also catches the clutch pedal.

Jan
whalejetwrench

Post by whalejetwrench »

thank you very much! that is got to be the problem, I had welded in new pans and I guess the stop was gone on the previous pan because I never noticed it, but I did find the hole for the stop in the pan and in the morning I will be fabricating a stop,. thanks again, you rock!
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

:D