Alt and Oil Warning lights on a rail
- fl_buggy
- Posts: 1258
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:23 pm
Alt and Oil Warning lights on a rail
I'm wiring up the charging and oil pressure warning lights on my rail buggy. I'm making my own dash and purchased some clearance lights so they are big and bright. Here's my problem. These lights are designed to ground through the chassis and just have 1 wire for 12v. In my studies, I have found that the idiot lights get 12v supplied to one side, and go to the alt. and oil pressure switch on the other side. So as provided, my lights won't work correctly, is this correct? I'm thinking I can snip the lead going from the bulb to the chassis ground and just solder a 12v wire to this lead and that should get me going. Am I understanding this correctly?
- Speedy Jim
- Posts: 2290
- Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am
Correct on all counts.
If you manage to separate the bulb leads, wire it up like this.
The diode is important with large bulbs and with any form of
electronic ignition; without the diode the engine may continue to run
with the Ign switch off due to feedback from the alternator.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
If you manage to separate the bulb leads, wire it up like this.
The diode is important with large bulbs and with any form of
electronic ignition; without the diode the engine may continue to run
with the Ign switch off due to feedback from the alternator.
Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Airhead, in any other scenario I would say you are right. however the type and style of this diode really doesnt matter. Ratshack is not to be trusted. just grab a diode that is not tiny, and you have the right thing, i do believe. you could prolly just grab one from some junke electronics you have kicking around.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- Speedy Jim
- Posts: 2290
- Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am