Charging light only goes out after blip

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Gavin
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:01 am

Charging light only goes out after blip

Post by Gavin »

So I just converted from generator to a new bosch AL82N alternator.

When I start the engine I have to give the accelerator a little blip to get the charging light to go out - maybe to 1500 revs. Once out it does not come back on when the engine returns to idle.

Anyone know why this happens. It is an internal regulater model.
User avatar
MedicTed
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Post by MedicTed »

Used alternator? I'd suspect that one of the diodes is bad in the alternator. It's a very common problem on ambulances (Fords) because of the loads on the alternators and the design. It's usually not a problem, it just means that you may need a rebuild in the next year or two.
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Marc »

He said it was a new AL82.
I've seen this (high cut-in speed) a few times on the Brazilian-made alternators. I suspect it's just a regulator idiosyncracy - another one might "fix" it but not worth the trouble IMO.
Could even be it'll improve by itself as the alternator develops a little residual magnetic field...
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

Seen this more than a few times,no issues

my own car has been doing this for over 20 years now hasn't let me down yet
Post Reply