lets see those dashs!

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
fusername
Posts: 6806
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am

lets see those dashs!

Post by fusername »

yeap, thats it. I want to see how you guys have set up yours, and who has access to way too much milling equipment. I am talking to whoever it was that has the lables etched into the sheet metal on thier baja.
I think I will leave all my switchs unlabled, cause its mine and i know how to work it.
let the bragging begin!
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

hahaha yeah... I had to deal with the hole the PO cut. The PO (previous owner) torch cut the whole dash area out of the car and sent the front cage tubes through the opening. I was stressing over coming up with a way for the dash to get sealed up... then I decided to make it a permanent converible and forget about the air leaks through the dash. There are two Dzus fasteners in the lower corners, and I made small 90 degree brackets that I welded across the top "brow" of the steel dash. I have small allen head screws holding the top edge of the dash panel in, and the same screws holding the top bezel on.

Image
Image

Finished product
Image
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Still a work in progress....

Image
Image
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
wayneweir
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:19 pm

Post by wayneweir »

Before:

Image
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Getrdone »

This is a custom dash! Not a single functional gauge. 8) Smooth as a babies butt. Decided today a radio is going in the middle. Hard to find just a radio nowadays. CD players never make it back from the first trip working right.
Image
vin
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:43 pm

Post by vin »

Image
Image
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

vin wrote:Image
vin,
I like the console! Did you fab that or buy it somewhere? Does it open?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

hey copper wait until you see the one that im going to make. :D
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

72bajaben wrote:hey copper wait until you see the one that im going to make. :D
Ben, I think you have a longer list of to-do's than me! :lol:
...but at least you can drive yours.... :(
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

yea i know i have more to-do's, but who doesnt.... lol when are you going to start your up?
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Looks like I've hit a wall, installing the alternator. I need to find or tap the studs for the alternator and it sounds like I need a alternator stand as well.

The smallest studs Autozone carries is 10mm. I'm told I need 6mm.

So...soon as I find time, on a day that the VW shop is open.
(I learned this weekend that all the VW shops are closed on Sundays.)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

If you know how long the bolts are, just call this company - the will ship it same day. Might cost a bit more, but you will get what you ordered in a day or two.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

From the looks of it, I think they are tap-in studs.

Going to try to hit Vee Parts on Saturday morning.

edit** although I am bookmarking that site for future use... ;)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
mike@crosbys
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by mike@crosbys »

yes the generator stand is different from the alternator stand. A generator will fit an alternator stand but not vice versa
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

Image
Post Reply