Circuit Separation
-
DesertGuy
- Posts: 2303
- Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm
Circuit Separation
Looking at which circuits are activated by which fuse panel... Does this look correct or is there a better way?
BATTERY FUSE PANEL
Ignition/Start Circuit
Horn
Hazard
Computer Harness (Battery Feed)
Dome Light
Radio Memory
Headlights
Running Lights
Brake Switch (Optional)
Whip Lighting
IGNITION FUSE PANEL
Off-Road Lights
Gauge/Dash Lighting
Turn Signals
Brake Switch
Alternator Idiot Light
Oil Idiot Light
Computer Harness (Start Circuit)
Fuel Pump (Relay Triggered)
Radiator Fans (Relay Triggered)
CB (Optional)
ACCESSORY FUSE PANEL
Radio
Intercoms
GPS
DVD Player
BATTERY FUSE PANEL
Ignition/Start Circuit
Horn
Hazard
Computer Harness (Battery Feed)
Dome Light
Radio Memory
Headlights
Running Lights
Brake Switch (Optional)
Whip Lighting
IGNITION FUSE PANEL
Off-Road Lights
Gauge/Dash Lighting
Turn Signals
Brake Switch
Alternator Idiot Light
Oil Idiot Light
Computer Harness (Start Circuit)
Fuel Pump (Relay Triggered)
Radiator Fans (Relay Triggered)
CB (Optional)
ACCESSORY FUSE PANEL
Radio
Intercoms
GPS
DVD Player
Last edited by DesertGuy on Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
- Speedy Jim
- Posts: 2290
- Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am
-
Ol'fogasaurus
- Posts: 17881
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm
I keep the mast (whip) light on the un-switched side. We have been known to sit out on the dunes with the mast light on so we can be seen. That way, there is less load on the battery when all else is off.
If you have a CB, I now switch it. A lot of people leave it on the hot side, but when they come back into camp and get refreshments and forget the CB the whole camp is wake listening to the chatter.
I also leave the brake light on the hot side. That way you have brake lights at night when you are sitting. Someone comes flying out of the night, hit your brakes and they can see you.
Radiater fans. Hmm! Do you have a run-on circuit or a temp senser? Maybe that is another cantidate for a hot side hook-up.
GPS??? If you make new settings or planning a course, should it be hooked to the Hot lead too?
My two-bits worth. Lee
If you have a CB, I now switch it. A lot of people leave it on the hot side, but when they come back into camp and get refreshments and forget the CB the whole camp is wake listening to the chatter.
I also leave the brake light on the hot side. That way you have brake lights at night when you are sitting. Someone comes flying out of the night, hit your brakes and they can see you.
Radiater fans. Hmm! Do you have a run-on circuit or a temp senser? Maybe that is another cantidate for a hot side hook-up.
GPS??? If you make new settings or planning a course, should it be hooked to the Hot lead too?
My two-bits worth. Lee
Lee
My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
Makes sense to me. For that matter, why wouldn't you want running lights and headlights to be functional with the key off too?Ol'fogasaurus wrote:...I also leave the brake light on the hot side. That way you have brake lights at night when you are sitting. Someone comes flying out of the night, hit your brakes and they can see you...
Ignition and Accessory positions are NOT identical, they use independent contacts. Everything on the ACC terminal is powered with the key in either position, but those loads on the IGN terminal are only hot when the key is ON. Keep in mind just how much current you're piling onto these contacts - the designers probably weren't expecting much more than 20-25A total in current draw for either set. If you must run big loads controlled by the key, a load-reduction relay (or two) may be in order.
-
DesertGuy
- Posts: 2303
- Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm
Sorry for being thick-headed, but I must be missing something. Below is the Ignition Switch that I will be using (same as above pic). The ignition switch has four wires; Red=Power, Brown=Accessory, Pink=Run, Purple=Start.
When the key is turned to "Run", continuity is between the Red, Brown, and Pink wire. When the key is turned back to "Accessory", there is only continuity between the Red and Brown wire... no longer the Pink. Finally, when the key is turned to "Start", continuity is only between the Red, Pink, and Purple... continuity does not re-establish to the Brown wire until back to "Run"
That being said, I was planning on using a 15amp fused circuit to run through the ignition switch and have the respective wires "trigger" their high amp relay to provide power to those particular circuits on the fuse panel.
If I run items like the radio and such off of ACC, then when the car is stopped I can listen to the radio without hearing the fuel pump cycle.
I thought I was thinking along the correct lines; however, after reading the posts above, I am not so sure...

When the key is turned to "Run", continuity is between the Red, Brown, and Pink wire. When the key is turned back to "Accessory", there is only continuity between the Red and Brown wire... no longer the Pink. Finally, when the key is turned to "Start", continuity is only between the Red, Pink, and Purple... continuity does not re-establish to the Brown wire until back to "Run"
That being said, I was planning on using a 15amp fused circuit to run through the ignition switch and have the respective wires "trigger" their high amp relay to provide power to those particular circuits on the fuse panel.
If I run items like the radio and such off of ACC, then when the car is stopped I can listen to the radio without hearing the fuel pump cycle.
I thought I was thinking along the correct lines; however, after reading the posts above, I am not so sure...

- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
I understand what youre saying about the radio, and I completely agree. That is how newer cars are wired so you can just have "accessories" on, like the radio and GPS and such and not end up busting your fuel pump. That is also why radios usually turn off when you start your car.
One thing Im not too sure about is your headlights. I understand that it would be the safest bet to have them turn off when you take the key out, but what if you need some quick light at camp? I like the ease of not having to fumble around for the key, rather just reach in and flip the switch.
One thing Im not too sure about is your headlights. I understand that it would be the safest bet to have them turn off when you take the key out, but what if you need some quick light at camp? I like the ease of not having to fumble around for the key, rather just reach in and flip the switch.
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
-
Ol'fogasaurus
- Posts: 17881
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm
Rick, got a question on your last post.
Actually this has happened to us. It was also before the limits to the hours you could drive were installed on the (Oregon) dunes.
Lee
My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
I agree, I wasnt meaning that ALL the lights had to be on at the same time. I was just saying its nice to not have to turn the key to get one or 2 of them on.Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Rick, got a question on your last post.What about only running a single light, or a single two set of lights hot. Have you have ever been in camp, late at night, trying to sleep and someone or several vehicles come in with 6 lights burning so hot you could fry eggs at thirty feet with them. If you reduced the lights that can be used with the engine off to one or a two light set might be a friend friendly way to do it.
Just thinking out loud.
If I need a little light in camp, I have an off road light on the rear bumper of my baja and flip that on so its not 6 100w lights that make it feel like day, rather just 1 55w mellow light.
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
-
2088 bob
- Moderator
- Posts: 897
- Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am
