Generator to Alt. swap
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Generator to Alt. swap
Hey guys, the new engine I installed in my bug has an alternator already in it. So I was wondering, what do I need to do with my wiring to get my battery to charge. Can I just hook up the old wires to it? I saw a wiring diagram with what to do on it, but now cant seem to find it. 
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Could you email that to me Ben? If I try to click and save it ends up being too small to read
rkraut (at) treila (dot) com
I dont remember where, but last week I came accross a site that had a ton of wiring info and what to do to swap the alt. Anyone know anything like that?
rkraut (at) treila (dot) com
I dont remember where, but last week I came accross a site that had a ton of wiring info and what to do to swap the alt. Anyone know anything like that?
Last edited by rickosuave1987 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
- CopperBaja
- Posts: 5329
- Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm
I remember seeing directions for it... I'll look.
I'm doing the same thing, but my engine has a generator.
Know of a way to pull the generator, without pulling the carburetor & manifolds?
*EDIT* I'm an idiot.
Look on TOS on my build thread. Page 2.
Ignore "Jeckler" He's an A$$.
I'm doing the same thing, but my engine has a generator.
Know of a way to pull the generator, without pulling the carburetor & manifolds?
*EDIT* I'm an idiot.
Ignore "Jeckler" He's an A$$.
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
-
volkenstein
- Posts: 114
- Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:53 pm
First up - what type of alternator?
Hi,
What type of alternator? Motorola externally regulated or Bosch internally regulated? For the first you must have the appropriate regulator (or substitute) and the second you just need your generator harness with a tweak or two and some connectors.
The samba has a sticky about pulling tinware or not etc etc in the late model forum. Yeah you can do it "in situ" but it's not as simple as people make out. Make sure you have two 10mm hex head bolts in the lower holes of the backing plate tinware. At least then you'll be off to a good start!!
Volkenstein
What type of alternator? Motorola externally regulated or Bosch internally regulated? For the first you must have the appropriate regulator (or substitute) and the second you just need your generator harness with a tweak or two and some connectors.
The samba has a sticky about pulling tinware or not etc etc in the late model forum. Yeah you can do it "in situ" but it's not as simple as people make out. Make sure you have two 10mm hex head bolts in the lower holes of the backing plate tinware. At least then you'll be off to a good start!!
Volkenstein
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Re: First up - what type of alternator?
It is internally regulated. What are the "tweaks"? All of the gen. wiring is there still.
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
-
volkenstein
- Posts: 114
- Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:53 pm
the tweaks
Hi,
You need to put a blade connection on the green wire first (at the alternator). The brown earth (that used to be on the gennie) can stay as is, as can the heavy current wire.
Under your back seat, you need to join the 3 heavy wires (alt, battery, forward harness feed) and join the green and blue idiot light feed together. You can connect the brown somewhere.
SpeedyJim has a great little diagram for this on his website:
www.nls.net/mp/volks/scheme/gen_alt.gif
Exactly how you do it is up to you.
Volkenstein
You need to put a blade connection on the green wire first (at the alternator). The brown earth (that used to be on the gennie) can stay as is, as can the heavy current wire.
Under your back seat, you need to join the 3 heavy wires (alt, battery, forward harness feed) and join the green and blue idiot light feed together. You can connect the brown somewhere.
SpeedyJim has a great little diagram for this on his website:
www.nls.net/mp/volks/scheme/gen_alt.gif
Exactly how you do it is up to you.
Volkenstein
Last edited by volkenstein on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Thanks volkenstein, that was the website I was looking for this past week.
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Got it thanks. Makes my life a bit easier now72bajaben wrote:it doesnt work for me. I emailed that diagram to you.
yea, clicking on that link wont show the image, but here is site
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm
link should work
Also, here is that diagram for anyone else who needs it.

Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
-
volkenstein
- Posts: 114
- Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:53 pm
Oops..
Fellas,
Sorry about the dud link...
Here's a little food for thought to connect everything up under the back seat:

Just some aluminium angle cut up and drilled. Brass screws reside in nylon insulation bushes, I used two loose spades (as on coils) for the idiot light feed.
Volkenstein
Sorry about the dud link...
Here's a little food for thought to connect everything up under the back seat:

Just some aluminium angle cut up and drilled. Brass screws reside in nylon insulation bushes, I used two loose spades (as on coils) for the idiot light feed.
Volkenstein
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks, I got the wiring hooked up today and the alt is charging great. No more killing the car with my off road lights 
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Completed trophy work? Uh...well...
I didnt take any pics of what I did this past weekend, but when I get some ill be sure to post them up. I still have a lot of wiring to clean up and some more stuff to re-do, but I will post pics.
I didnt take any pics of what I did this past weekend, but when I get some ill be sure to post them up. I still have a lot of wiring to clean up and some more stuff to re-do, but I will post pics.
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
