Turn Signal/Brake Light Toggle

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Turn Signal/Brake Light Toggle

Post by DesertGuy »

On my project, everything will be operated by toggle switches. I am trying to find a way to control my left and right turn blinkers from a toggle switch. Here is one way (I think), is there a better way to skin the cat?

Haven't quite figured out the brake light switch for integrated tail lights, any ideas?

Image
Last edited by DesertGuy on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mike cook
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:19 pm

turnsignals

Post by mike cook »

if you do not have the relays yet I have 4 with pigtails 4 sale
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

Thanks Mike, I may take you up on that. Unfortunately, this "animal" is getting bigger and bigger, from my last count, I will be using in the neighborhood of 15 or so relays :roll:

OK, trying to get the whole "intergrated brake light" thing figured out. Obviously, I need the brakes and tailights to function harmoniously, and not have my front blinkers "brighten" as if they were brake lamps also. So with that in mind, would this circuit work?

Image
Last edited by DesertGuy on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

maybe im not looking at this right, but why are you going to use 1 relay per indicator?
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

Hey Ben, the indicator will be the light (left/right) on the dash. I'm thinking if I tap off of the front turn blinkers that this will have the indicators light up appropriately. And keeping the front blinkers and indicators separate from the rear lights will allow the Turn Signal to "over-ride" the Brake Light for the applied side while allowing the other side to still function.

However, even as I say the above, I do not pretend to know all of this electrical stuff. I was sitting back trying to figure out how I could make it work and this is what I came up with, but I am definately open to better ways of doing it.
Last edited by DesertGuy on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

so you have a single light in the back that you want for both brake and turn?
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

and as far as the indicator on the dash, you can splice those in the light side of your flasher relay and they will work just fine. that is how i did mine.
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

Yup, I will have a single red LED that will function as running, turn, and brake light... or at least that is my hope
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

One of the cars I Used to have had a quick steer and then the toggle on the steering wheel.. was very sweet.

I like toggles better than that cheeezewad universal arm.

2nd suggestion.. get the toggle that automatically returns to the off position.. I tried the other and everyone thought I was 90 driving around with full time signals.
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

MNAirHead wrote:2nd suggestion.. get the toggle that automatically returns to the off position.. I tried the other and everyone thought I was 90 driving around with full time signals.
I think that im going to have to 2nd that 2nd suggestion. i do the same thing all the time. but i dont know if i want to hold the toggle either. lol

And you know if you are going to use a single light then your way might be the best way. cause i dont know how to do it with a single light. you should wire it up then see if it works. lol
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Then I'll 2nd your 2nding my 2nd.
Dougy Dee
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 1:01 am

Post by Dougy Dee »

You could get a 2 light to one lite/bulb adapter from a trailer place. They use this to wire multi bulb vehicle lighting to single bulb trailer wiring. About a $15 item. This will allow you to run a single bulb taillite in your system. I used a toggle switch to control lites but put a LOUD buzzer in line to keep from driving like a 90 year old....
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

lets take Dougs suggestion just a little further its the same system i use in my own car

first off to trigger just a single flashing indicator light on the dash for your turns signals use a 3 pin turn signal flasher it gives you an output to drive a single light that will flash whether you are turning left or right

to do the taillights go to your local auto parts store and buy a cheap turn signal adapter the ones that are used when you want to tow a trailer with 2 element bulbs with a european car that has 3 element taillights

saves that whole big hassle of the 4 relay setup to do that job and is much cheaper just hook it up according the the drawings provided with the unit and you are in business

2 tips for the above make absolutely sure that your tail light assemblies have really good grounds to the point of running a dedicated ground out to the light assemblies

secondly don't energize the adapter without the above mentioned ground because usually by about the third flash in an ungrounded setup they become junk

ps .......i also have a small piezo buzzer hooked to my indicator flasher to remind me to cancel my turn signals


Image

2 elements 3 functions tail/running lights, brake lights,turn signals
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

2088 bob wrote: ps .......i also have a small piezo buzzer hooked to my indicator flasher to remind me to cancel my turn signals

If you want to sell this.. have a name... GeezerBuzzer.. could become required equipment on all land-yachts in florida...
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

The young guys building a rail have a set up like this..

They bought it on line..

toggle switch.. light indicators to both sides.. I could snap a shot of the guts if you like (would take a week).

Tim
Post Reply