wiring up offroad lights

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
ChadRat
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:07 pm

wiring up offroad lights

Post by ChadRat »

I am cleaning up the wiringin on my rail. I would like to know the best way to wire up some lights. I have a switch with a wire coming from power source. Should I have 2 wires coming off the other side of the switch to the lights or one wire and tee it off some how closer to the lights. What gauge wire do I use? If I need a tee then what kind of tee. I want to fuse the power side. What size fuse should I use? Thanks!
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Are you planning on running a relay for the lights?
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

definaltely relay.. I tried it without them once.. ended up rewiring the entire car.. hopfeuly you're smarter than I am/was.

KC lights have neat little relay kits.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I usually use a relay or dimmer switch (does the same thing) but I have done it without a relay. I just did not see you mention it in your post and was checking. Lee
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
ChadRat
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Post by ChadRat »

what kind of relay? how would you wire it up?
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Chad..

If we can buy a little time with you.. someone here has the EXACT answer.

Bob is busy.. if we're lucky we can ask him to quick do some very quick answer.. Desert is willing to do a drawing.

Do you have a wattage spec yet on your lights.. this will impact the relay.
User avatar
ChadRat
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Post by ChadRat »

I won't get to work on it until the weekend. I got my lights from harbor freight. 55w H3 bulb

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=47394
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There are specific relays for lights and ususally have wiring diagrams with them.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

ChadRat wrote:I won't get to work on it until the weekend. I got my lights from harbor freight. 55w H3 bulb

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=47394
Keep us posted on how well their endurance is....I'm planning on getting a few of those, after I order my light bar.

Oh...and just found the site I was looking for. Here's the info you need.
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-cor ... wiring.htm

FYI, if you are looking for these relays, they're called Bosch relays. You can buy them expensively, or go to your local pick-a-part and grab a few out of some newer cars. :)

*EDIT* I see you already know about these relays.... 8)
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=106224
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
ChadRat
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Post by ChadRat »

They have held up pretty good. I used them all last season with no problems. I did replace the little nuts that holds the outside ring on with lock nuts.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

ChadRat wrote:They have held up pretty good. I used them all last season with no problems. I did replace the little nuts that holds the outside ring on with lock nuts.
Cool. Good to know. $15 is a HELLUVA lot better than $30+ each.
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
The Wild Kids
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Post by The Wild Kids »

I have those same lights and have survived for three years no problems and I don't have a relay at all. I do need to get another lense as a rock or limb has cracked one but it isn't busted all the way through or anything.
Good buy in my opinioin.

The Wild kids
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

Ohms law tells us that the theoretical current in this circuit should be 9.16, amps ........ amps=watts divided by volts 55 x2 = 110 /12 =9.16 . just to show you how much change a 1.5 volt increase can make, calculate it this way 110 watts divided by 13.5 volts = 8.14 amps

this current draw can normally be handled by the average good to excellent quality toggle switch and 14 ga wire is of sufficient size to handle this load

if you are asking advice on how to route the wiring for these lights , bring a wire back to the switch from both lights and make your joint at the switch that way if something happens to one side of the car at least you have a chance of keeping one light up and running

if for some reason you smoke a toggle switch let us know and we will explore the relay method

and lastly a 15 amp fuse between the power source and your switch should provide adequate protection for this circuit 15 amps is also the upper safe working limit for 14 gauge wire according to national electrical safety codes
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

One of the reasons I recommended a relay is that I have run into people that run their lights through the ignition switch. Also, some people try to use one switch to control too many lights. If you do or are planning on doing this, you are going to push the AMP limit of the switch. By using a relay, you are able to do a low voltage draw through the switch especially if you are using multiple sets of lights.

I just think is it a good habit to get into also.

Lee
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

And, of course, always carry an extra relay in your toolbox. 8)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
Post Reply