I’m attempting to install a Pertronix Points Replacement module into my Beetle, it ain’t going according to plan...
The car is running the stock 6V system, with pretty new Bosch blue coil.
Let me firstly confirm that prior to starting out, the engine was running in tip-top shape (Why then, you cry, did I mess with it then... because I can! (or at least I thought I could
So I removed the distributor for convenience sake, removed the points and condenser and put in the pertronix unit. The pertronix 1849N6 is the one that was recommended for my distributor and it seems to fit very well. Its appropriate for a 6 volter anyhow.
I wired up the black wire from the pertronix to terminal 1 on the coil, the same terminal my condenser had attached to, and red wire to terminal 15 which also feeds my choke and idle shutoff solenoid.


Cannot for the life of me now get the engine to start; she’s dead Jim.
I appreciate that the timing will have moved with the installation of the module but I can’t find any position that will allow the engine to even start that might subsequently be fine tuned with a strobe light. Not being able to time it statically doesn’t help much either…
In an effort to see where it was kicking in, I grounded the coil output wire (the centre HT lead on the distributor cap) so that I could at least watch for a spark and confirm that I was getting that much at least. And it does spark strongly but not where I would have thought it should. To get a spark somewhere between TDC and 7.5BTDC with Cylinder #1, the distributor had to be very advanced (turned CCW with vacuum unit practically facing the rear).
Another thing that struck me as odd - as I rotated the crank pulley back and forth to try and dial in the spark as I would when static timing with a timing light, I noticed that I only saw a spark when moving the pulley CCW, but not CW. I had to turn the pulley back to see spark. Odd? I didn’t install it upside down, honest.
Armed with these paltry bit of information; what should I try next?
Alternatively, where did I go wrong? Am I missing something obvious?
