My 72 Bug

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Lew

My 72 Bug

Post by Lew »

Newbie on Shop Talk Forums. I just removed the body and cut out passenger side floor pan.....Starting the driver side pan later this week.....I have removed the transmission, and the front beam....I would like to know what some are talking about regarding the "swing axle"? I am wanting to know how to remove the back end of the chassis so I just have the naked portion of the frame.....I want to clean and paint each portion separately.....Any help will be greatly appreciated.....Since I don't want to double post. Maybe steer me to the right forum, or the man that knows!

Thanks!

Last edited by Lew on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UJSLOST

Post by UJSLOST »

Can you resize that picture? Its way to large to see whats going on.
Lew

How's This!

Post by Lew »

kangaboy

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by kangaboy »

Lew wrote:....I would like to know what some are talking about the "swing axle"? I am wanting to know how to remove all the back end of the chassis so I just have the naked portion of the frame.....
Thats IRS sir...good for you too.
Lew

More Pictures from Newbie!

Post by Lew »

This pin that has the notches has a recess area. Looks like the end of a socket. Maybe a special tool that one needs to remove. Any Idea how they come out....

How do you remove these pins?

sideshow

Re: More Pictures from Newbie!

Post by sideshow »

Lew wrote:How do you remove these pins?

17mm allen key or a tranny drain plug tool (also a 17mm 6 sided tool)
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Lew

Didn't think about that!

Post by Lew »

I have soaked the pins with Blaster since they are somewhat rusty....Most likey it going to take some real force to get them out....Anyway I will look for a 17mm allen socket and use my pull handle to move if I am lucky....
I can't use any heat because of the rubber bushings. I will post what happens once I pickup the allen socket.....I appreciate your help Sideshow :)
Lew

Floor Pans!

Post by Lew »

Finally both pans removed and spot welds ground down. Front end removed. Ready to remove rear end. Won't be long before new pans will be going in.

Lew

Swing Arm Pins

Post by Lew »

Finally got a 17 mm allen wrench into the pin end. I used a large box end wrench over the end of the allen wrench. Finally it moved after much force. The Blaster spray helped big time. It soaked overnight.....Now off with the rear hubs to disconnect the emergency brake cables, and eight bolts on the torsion arms and the rear end can be removed. I did not have a small length of 3/4 pipe to slide over the allen wrench which would have been much better. However you gotta do what you gotta do.

Lew

More Work!

Post by Lew »

Today I removed the swing arm pins, and disconnected the emergency brake cables along with removing the shocks.....This enabled me to remove the rear end. Floor Pans on order!

This is one of the swing arm pins.

volkenstein

Post by volkenstein »

Lew,
If that shot of the pivot bolt is "as removed" that's in pretty good condition all things considered. Clean it up and pack away for re-use. They can be tough (80 Ft/lbs torque IIRC) especially if the surrounding housing got peined into that groove you can see in the pic.

Soldier on laddie, looking good!

Volkenstein
Lew

Swing Arm Pins

Post by Lew »

I was suprised to see them in such good shape. The big washers, and bushings are OK as well. The Pins cleaned up nicely, and look like new. They were sprayed with WD40 and put in a Zip Lock Freezer Bag. All my small parts, nuts and bolts are in bags and labeled.
I was wondering when I removed the pins just how much torque needed to be put on them when they go back in place......

Volkenstein are we correct in saying 80 ft pounds on the pins?
volkenstein

Post by volkenstein »

Lew,
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly. In this case, no :lol: . The real figure turns out to be 87 Ft/lbs.

Regards
Volkenstein
Lew

Post by Lew »

bigmeat

Post by bigmeat »

Spend the money and get some new bushings. Worn swing arm bushing can realy scre up the rear alignment.